Pages of History (April): For Zoya

You mean the naval commanders who conducted unrestricted commerce raiding…

1 Like

Hello, I’m researching information about who we choose for the avatar of the month.
And if there is controversial or negative information about the candidate, then he is excluded.

Nice, thanks.

1 Like

Thats not what that means.

1 Like

Just for the record since I couldn’t find a list online, here’s the first 25:

Apr/22: John Lavarack - Australia - General
May/22: Mikhail Yegorov - USSR - Infantry
Jun/22: Richard Winters - USA - Infantry
Jul/22: Charles Upham - New Zealand - Infantry
Aug/22: Aleksandra Samusenko - USSR - Tanker
Sep/22: Marcario Garcia - USA - Infantry
Oct/22: Avigdor Ben-Gal - Israel - General
Nov/22: Marcel Albert - France - Pilot
Dec/22: Gregory Boyington - USA - Pilot
Jan/23: Dmitry Osatyuk - USSR - Tanker
Feb/23: Norman Schwarzkopf - USA - General
Mar/23: Reginald Mitchell - UK - Civilian
Apr/23: Gerard Roope - UK - Naval Officer
May/23: Meliton Kantaria - USSR (Georgia) - Infantry
Jun/23: Nikolai Gastello - USSR - Pilot
Jul/23: Desmond Doss - USA - Medic
Aug/23: David Currie - Canada - Tanker
Sep/23: Roza Shanina - USSR - Sniper
Oct/23: John Basilone - USA - Marine
Nov/23: John Campbell - UK - General
Dec/23: Ekaterina Mikhailova - USSR - Doctor
Jan/24: William Shomo - USA - Pilot
Feb/24: Eugene Esmonde - Ireland - Pilot
Mar/24: Jan Zumbach - Poland - Pilot
Apr/24: Aleksandr Kosmodemyansky - USSR - Tanker

So what about Franz Stigler and Hans Joachim Marseille then? They are both not controversial.

I really like this format, but it feels unfair to exclude axis soldiers just based on them being on the wrong side.

3 Likes

They could add for example Minoru Genda.

He was prominent Japanese Air Force Commander decorated by President Kennedy.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong: I really love your work and this whole format, I just find it sad that heroic people from certain nations are excluded from being brought to the players’ attention, just because they stood on the wrong side.

2 Likes

I’m already tired of answering these questions. They are not planned in the Pages of History. If something changes, you will know.
The character refers to one of the events of the month. He took part in it and accomplished a feat.
And the event associated with Franz Stigler does not fit into the game. There is carpet bombing of the city.

1 Like

Just drop this event whatsoever. Almost noone I talked with likes it or cares about it.

Like most every other event that happened.

No need to exaggerate.
The topic is open to suggestions, questions and reports of errors and inaccuracies.
You write the same thing month after month, and this makes me think that comments should be closed. Because they have no value in this case.

1 Like

My grandmother was one of the few refugees that made it out of that battle alive. There were no exaggerations in my post.

My great-grandfather went through the siege of Leningrad. From start to finish. Everyone has a connection to that time.

To understand the situation. There will be no Axis representatives.
The character for the month is selected based on the events of the month.
If you want to propose your candidate for an avatar, then you need to indicate his feat or other heroic deed.

3 Likes

Understood, a final and official statement on the matter. I find it very disappointing and honestly discriminatory, but it is what it is…

I have nothing more to contribute here.

1 Like

I quite enjoy these monthly events and know several other people who do too. Doesn’t bother me in the least some countries are excluded. In the end… They were the losers. That’s how winning works.

It’s funny how many people complaining about “woke” things are always the same people who say “aren’t we all worthy of respect, shouldn’t we all get a prize?” whenever the tables get turned a little. Nah. They lost the war, bro. If Gaijin only wants the war winners in this series, it’s their game and their rules, and they should make the game they want to make regardless of the fee-fees of any woke wehraboos out there. Lots of heroes on the winning side left to commemorate first.

Nothing wrong with playing all countries… I do too, would be silly not to in a war game, but if Gaijin wants this feature to be their commemoration of the heroes on the winning side only, hey, works for me.

Also I really appreciate an actual dev coming here and defending their position for once. We should all respect that, that’s real community engagement. Very impressive, @KasaneDevAcc . o7

Edit: and people wanted to try to hide this post by community flags. So now I guess we get to see if Gaijin submits to the mob and allows posts defending them to be blocked. Over to you mods.

2 Likes

No. They really don’t. Because all the feeble arguments being made here are exactly, EXACTLY the same as those made by people who think there should be (as an example) black dwarf women in Lord of the Rings (which I don’t really have a problem with, if that’s what the creators want, either). “My feelings are hurt because I don’t see the people in your art that I identify with.” They’re just being made here by those usually on a different political side.

And yes, when the same dev said the same thing last year on the old forum I congratulated him for talking to the community directly then, too. So many many other things in this game we have to hear through half-informed intermediaries what the company line is, so whenever a real dev takes to these pages it is always refreshing. For them to say in their second language that they’re really really tired of an old argument (“I think… comments should be closed”) when the comments haven’t actually been closed and we’re still allowed to discuss it IS actual engagement. If and when they do close these threads then you’ll have a point.

You say “defending implies more than repeating.” But that’s ALL the other side is doing TOO! The same whining every month when they’ve been clearly told no multiple times. What was this stunning new counterargument in this thread this dev needed to respond to?

What you call an “inconsistency”, in any other context would be called an “artistic choice.” Me, personally, I prefer a simpler rule. If you lose the war, you don’t get the statue in the park. Simple. But that’s my rule, and I’m not the one demanding the devs follow it, because I think the principle of defending people making the games they want to make is even more important. And yes, if they take a different tack in the future and defend it then, I might not like it as much… we’ll see.

Anyway, I was responding to one person, who said this event is hated by everyone, which is a false statement that could be not really left unchallenged, and also that it shows that Gaijin was full of “wokeness”, when he’s the one demanding inclusion in art overriding the creators’ wishes, which is what ALL the “woke controversies” in gaming since OG Gamergate have been all about. The hypocrisy was just too glaring to let pass.

(And by the way, your attacking an entire country for one politician’s stupid moment in 2023*, that I have in no way been involved with or defended, or has anything to do with this thread other than it’s my country, appearing to claim you feel that moment somehow totally reverses the sacrifice of 45,000 Canadians killed fighting fascism in World War Two, and as a result we shouldn’t feel winner’s pride anymore at their role in defeating Naziism now, is in its own way morally relativistic left-wing nonsense, too. But that’s horseshoe theory for you.)

*What I would say is the story of Ukrainians fleeing Soviet Russia after WW2 for Canada is complex, and doesn’t lend itself to cheap gotcha moral binaries, especially given the current war there and the side Canada has taken on that. Your calling a guy whose war ended when he was a rank private in the German military at age 20 and hasn’t ever been accused of anything specific an “actual Nazi war criminal” is overstating the known facts of the situation quite a bit. But no, I don’t think any Ukrainians fighting with the Nazis in WW2 should get any War Thunder profile pics (or ovations) either. Same reason: they lost.

1 Like

Appreciate your reply in general - and i like the “Statue in the Park” analogy.

• Imho we have just different opinions about “wokism”. And using the same right as you by “challenging” deviating opinions - i used the opportunity to reflect my understanding of “woke” with regards to your imho general critism of the demands of the fellow players above.

• Same as with wehraboos which i see rather right from the center and woke followers at the far left - that simply does not fit together, but i agree to disagree.

Regarding new claims vs repeating old answers:

• I mean my post was hidden, so you might had not the chance to read my reply citing a source that the conquest of Koenigsberg (our “Hero of the Month” participated) resulted in ~ 100k civilian deaths after the war, so i have some sympathy for players with personal ties to this “event” to see it rather disturbing that gaijin thinks everything is fine with this “event”.

Regarding USSR and Canada:

• If we have common understanding that every war is a waste of lives i am not sure why you mentioned the 45k casualties of Canada in WW2.

• Imho it makes no sense to talk about “winners pride” - if one country lost between 14 and 20% like the USSR and another country 0.3-0.4 % of it’s total population - there is only one nation which can have something like “winners pride”.

• Imho Hunka - as a volunteer to the SS with 18 - qualifies to be named as war criminal as the SS itself is classified as such an organization.

• I am actually sorry for using the Hunka incident in this case without further outlining why - it was not aimed to attack Canada or their citizens as a whole - just to show the actual circumstances and view on things by ruling classes which on one hand embrace wokism and enforce this ideology on their people - but is on the other hand unable to tell their people that they support a country which has no problem with their history & legacy which includes nazism.

• And exactly this ruling class determines if you go to war or not. So as i am aware of that you are an active service member - i hope that you will not dragged into any insane adventure in which, depending on rank, you either have to give or to execute orders to fulfil your assigned tasks.

Alright then, let’s tell the French that they shouldn’t have memorials for Vercingetorix and let’s remove any memory of Hannibal Barca. After all, they lost, so all we need is statues of Caesar and Scipio.

As for the woke analogy with the Lord of the Rings: the makers of Rings of Power deviate take artistic liberty by adding what was not specifically described by the creator of that specific fantasy universe.

The “lore” that War Thunder is based on, is history. There is a slight difference between tweaking a fictional world to come more in line with western societies and straight up refusing to show positive traits of historical figures based on politics.

1 Like