OTO OF24 Tifone

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Description: The OTO Melara OF24 Tifone was an Italian IFV developed by the Italian company OTO Melara during the Cold War. It’s development started in the seventies after the Italian army bought a single mowag tornado for evaluation. OTO Melara studied the tornado and made the Tifone that was heavily inspired by the tornado. The first planned version of the Tifone was equipped with a single 76 mm cannon and a 7.62 mm coaxial machinegun in the turret, which happened to be the same as the fv101 scorpion. The second one, the mk2, was equipped with a single rh 202 20-mm cannon (same turret as the one mounted on the Fiat 6616), and the third version, the mk3, was armed with two 20-mm rh 202 cannons. The Tifone hull was large and allowed to carry a total of six infantrymen, plus two operators for the two 12.7 mm machineguns on the back. At the end of the seventies, probably OTO Melara stopped its development, given the fact that the Italian army never ordered neither the Tornado nor the Tifone. It’s not clear how many prototypes were made since only a picture is available, but for sure no one survived to this day, so probably all the units realized were scrapped.

Why it should be in the game: It will give to the Italian tt a new interesting veichle before the C13/T90.

Specifications

Riepilogo

Full wight: 22800 kg
Empty weight: 18000 kg
Lenght: 6.8 m
Width: 3.5 m
Height: 2.35 m
Engine: V8 Turbo diesel with 530 hp
Max speed: 70 km/h
Armaments

Sources

Riepilogo

GLI AUTOVEICOLI DA COMBATTIMENTO DELL'ESERCITO ITALIANO VOL IV by Biblioteca Militare - Issuu
OTO Melara OF-24 'Tifone' | Secret Projects Forum
Jane’s world armoured fighting vehicles 1976

Pictures

Riepilogo

7 Likes

Was the turret for the 76mm even built and/or mounted on the vehicle? That image is edited, I believe directly from this
208071-747b77fadd91aacd7f4f13a8fdd02738

2 Likes

Would love to have all three! The first would be a fun light tank, the second makes for an interesting IFV similar to the Marder (with the TOW launcher equipped), and the third would serve as a nice SPAAG. +3

2 Likes

Oh my

+1

1 Like

A +1 from me, more unique Italian vehicles are always good

1 Like

The turret was built, but we don’t know if It was ever fitted, since we only have One picture of the veichle.

+1.

1 Like

+1 I love that!

2 Likes

The problem is that using only 76mm HESH and HE shells, I don’t know how much damage they can do, even with overpressure, taking into account that the barrel is shorter. So the BR could be much lower.
OF 24

Jane’s World Armoured Fighting Vehicles 1976

3 Likes

Hesh recently are performing very well, withouth the Heat round It could go to 6.3

2 Likes