• No
0 voters
Were should it go?
  • Italy
  • Germany
  • Both
  • I voted no
0 voters

Description: The OTO Melara Marder (Hitfact 105) is an Italian-German light tank developed by the companies Rheinmetall and OTO Melara. The development started back in the early 2000’s when the German company Rheinmetall started a new program aimed at realizing an upgrade kit for the old Marder IFV to upgrade the existing service units in many countries. Initially made to satisfy a Canadian request, the Marder Revolution weighs around 33 tons, has a longer and wider hull (6.9 m and 3.6 m respectively), additional armor, a better engine, better transport capacity, spall liners, mine protections, and accommodation for various turrets, such as Tanks One’s. This last feature was made to turn the IFV into a light tank to satisfy a possible request of this kind from any nation. After the initial development, Rheinmetall started a collaboration with OTO Melara for the creation of a new light tank based on the Marder Revolution, equipped with OTO’s Hitfact 105 mm turret (the same turret as the B1 Centauro 105). It was showcased for the first time at the Eurosatory 2012, but it didn’t generate the interest the companies hoped for, and it was not ordered by anyone. But a second attempt was made in 2016 after Indonesia showed interest in the platform. A new version was made. This version had the OTO’s-made Hitfact 120 (same turret as the B1 Centauro 120) equipped with a 105/52 mm gun. Even though Indonesia was initially interested, no orders were signed, and the project was abandoned some time later. The fate of the prototypes is unknown.

Why it should be in the game: It could be a good addition to both Italian and German tt as a light tank for the main tt of both countries.

Specifications

Riepilogo

Lenght: 6.9 m
Width: 3.6 m
Height: 3 m
Engine: MTU MB 883 with a total of 700 hp
Armour: Capable of withstand 30 mm rounds, RPG
Max speed: 70 km/h
Weight: 43 tons
Mebers: 4 (driver, gunner, loader, commander)
wade capability: 1.5 m
Armaments:
a 105/52 mm cannon capable of shoot all nato standard 105 mm ammunitions
two 7.62 beretta MG42/59 machinegun

Sources

Riepilogo

https://defense-update.com/20120613_eurosatory-2012-photo-report.html
Marder Evolution APC - The Final Upgraded Version of The Successful Marder IFV - Military-wiki
Marder IFV, TAM, and Puma IFV
DEFENSE STUDIES: Marder Medium Tank RI is Cost-Effective Solution
https://armyrecognition.com/news/army-news/2016/rheinmetall-showcases-105mm-medium-battle-tank-at-indo-defence-2016
DEFENSE STUDIES: Marder Medium Tank RI is Cost-Effective Solution

Pictures

Riepilogo

6 Likes

+1 For both Italy and Germany.

3 Likes

I like the modern return of light tanks, and this is superb. +1

1 Like

+1 for Italy

1 Like

was a similar suggestion made for germany as well?
+1 for both

1 Like

Not yet, as far as I know.

WHAT IS THAT?!? My gees, it’s bad and good at the same time! +1

1 Like

Wonderful vehicle! +1!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

I think you can suggest the same vehicle twice if under another nations flag in such scenarios

i voted Both, having said that i feel that the only viable option would be the variant with the 120.
since GER already has the TAM2C, and ITA has the Centauro series armed with both 105 & 120.
The Marder with 120mm would add an upgrade to the GER line to the TAM 2C, while adding a side grade to the Centauro 120mm.

This would give GER a T7/8 light tank and give the option to choose between a wheeled or tracked light in the ITA tree.
I love the Centauro’s, but in a closed environment they handle worse then a tracked vehicle.

PS: or just also give the 105 to ITA, more flavor to the TT ;P

no 120 mm versions were ever created, only two 105 versions

1 Like

It’s a light tank on tracks so it’s not exactly the same as the Centauro.

2 Likes

sorry misread the post, the second one uses the hitfact 120mm turret, just not the gun.

1 Like

A Centauro-Marder fusion tank would be interesting to see, especially with an Italian co-designed tank in another tech tree (which there aren’t many of)

2 Likes