Opinions wanted on Naval

I’m a WoWs player, have been for many years before picking up War Thunder. May I ask why you believe WT Naval is the superior experience? Genuinely curious.

1 Like

Well I play naval mainly but seldon the large ships. But I do hunt them yes I am one of those that employ the Somali pirate tactics. Although many think coastal ships are just there to slug it out amongst themselves. Which I avoid unless left with no choice. And yes I love taking medium size bombers against the big tubs. As compared to the pure air battles where you just have a mass of planes in a small space thrown at each other which I have always found stupid. Those that enjoy that would play on a map where both bases are right next to each other so that you just need to turn your plane in the general direction and let it rip. That has never been my cup of tea. But searching for the enemy using the islands to ones advantage and setting up surprise attacks is absolutely mine.

1 Like

Long time player here, I play almost everything(can’t fly helis) and all nations(not Israel too much tho, just 1/2 a tree & the 1/2 I don’t really enjoy as much) and I have played naval off & on since CBT, and I really enjoyed CBT game play, mostly because it was new at the time and that tends to level the playing field usually(tank CBT is still the best tank playing I have had here). I am an AB player by a large margin, just enjoy the faster pace and constant action generally. But with naval, the differences between AB & RB are slight compared to tanks & planes. Once I got the aiming/ranging thing sorted for RB naval and started getting the “end game” bigger ships, I now play RB mainly . Naval has it’s “intense” moments, but a more relaxing experience overall than planes & tanks, so it’s good for that. I was obliged to go for the USS Texas when it was introduced(being from Texas & all) and got my first ever battleship preparing for it to enter the game, so pretty new to the biggest ships in the game and that style of game play. I just lack the Arizona & Nevada to finish the US Bluewater, not all that close in the other nations, Italy & France I have just scratched the surface really. But the days of playing/working all nations regularly have gonna been left by the wayside. I didn’t care for the Encounter maps(who wants to get pelted by 6, 8 - 10 ships the second they spawn??) And then Conquest maps came in and I had thought they were the worst, but now… neither bother me as much as before. I haven’t tried too much EC, but the Random Battles are pretty good most of the time. Naval is/can be fun, depends on the player and the mood I guess, but overall, less pros & cons compared to planes & tanks, so somewhat better in the regard . … and that’s just me.
I think more players would get to where they enjoyed naval if they just give it a chance . . . it takes time, but what doesn’t playing WT anymore? . . . . 8 )

3 Likes

Deusvult1,

I really like what you said about Air Battles. I’ve always felt that people should play this game the way that brings them the most enjoyment. That being said, Air has the least amount of Teamwork from my experience. Swarms of Fighters trying to shoot each other down for points. I would think they’d follow a Bomber or a plane taking an Airfield in congestion. You can get points shooting them down too. I like to win Missions and that always requires Teamwork.

As to Coastal and Bluewater, I play both. There was an annoying little Coastal Boat that was bothering my Bluewater Ship. At the time I didn’t realize how limited ships are with local fire. It took awhile, but the Coastal Boat eventually took me out. That was a lesson learned because I stayed thinking I could endure. Realistically, If I’d just put some distance between us instead of trying to run it over, I could’ve had that one.

That’s what I love about this game. Learning strategies and making them work. Thanks for your reply.

-NighthawkP

LeChance,

I play just about everything as well. Haven’t done helicopters yet, but I’ll give it a go eventually. I do Bluewater with French ships right now. Coastal is US and GB.

I agree that Naval is more ‘relaxed’ than Tanks or Air, but I’ve NEVER felt it was a ‘grind’ like many people say. Again, I’m only playing AB at Tier 2 at this point but so far I love the intense moments.

Like the bit where there’s 4 torpedoes coming up on your Port Side and all seems hopeless. You steer hard Port and split the difference. Two go Port, two Starboard. Even if one hits, you’ve got your Crews and Mods and you get right to it.

If people aren’t into ships, then I get it. If they are, it’s quite the experience in my opinion.

Thank you for your input.

-NighthawkP

1 Like

Played a few naval months ago. The reason I don’t like it is that everyone prompt into the shooting from >15 km away right after joining the game. There is no naval warfare tactic at all, just duck shooting. Idk if it is still the case now but cannot enjoy the previous gameplay.

I quite enjoyed playing last year’s submarine event. And I enjoyed pretty much on both sides. Probably adding subs (or maybe modern warships with antiship missiles/surface&air radar/guided torpedoes) and adding beyond visual combat maps would create a rather dynamic naval battle environment?

I know it would be extremely hard to balance but I would definitely give it a try if there were something like the ground RB where people could spawn modern destroyers, frigates, and submarines. Once they get enough SP, they could spawn air (naval aviation from a carrier/fighters and attack aircraft from island airfield) for reconnaissance, anti-submarine, anti-surface or anti-air tasks.

Anyway, I wouldn’t expect it to happen very soon.

1 Like