Norwegian Model 116 Early

Norwegian Model 116 Early

TYPE: Light tank/Tank destroyer
AMOUNT IN NORWEGIAN SERVICE: Ca. 72

ARMAMENT
1x D/925 low-pressure 90mm gun, 41 rounds
1xBrowning AN/M3 12.7 mm machine gun
1x Browning M2HB 12.7mm machine gun coaxial
Norwegian Model 128 Simrad LV3 Laser Rangefinder (90mm)
DM2 HC 76mm Electric fired smoke grenade launchers, 8 tubes 4 on each side of the turret, 16 grenades were carried in the tank. all 8 grenades could be fired at once
Passive night vision

TECHNICAL DATA
Lenght: 5.45m without cannon
Lenght: 5.94m with cannon
Widht: 2.82m
Height: 2.61m from top of 12.7mm
Total weight: 18.3 Ton
Total weight battle ready: 20 tons
Crew4 (driver, commander, gunner, loader)
Eigne: Detroit Diesel 6V-53T
Eigne horsepower: 260hp
Fuel capacity: 2 tanks total 208L
Gearbox: Allison MT 650/653 5 speed and 1 reverse (Automatic)
Reloading rate: around 6+ secounds
Tracks: switchable between US T85E1/T85E1 rubber tracks if nessecary

PERFORMANCE
Max Speed: 47 km/h (on road)
Range: Ca. 300 kilometers

ARMOR
Front Armor: 25 mm
Front Side 2/3 Armor: 25 mm
Rear side 1/3 Armor: 19 mm
Rear Armor: 19 mm
Turret Armor: 25 mm
Gun Mantel Armor: 38 mm

NORWEGIAN MODIFICATIONS
Detroit Diesel 6V-53T
D/925 low-pressure 90mm gun, 41 rounds
Browning AN/M3 12.7 mm machine gun
Norwegian made Norwegian Model 128 Simrad LV3 Laser Rangefinder (90mm)
NM (?) Practice round
Highly likely Norwegian made ammunition
Norwegian Camouflage summer/winter
Bushes and Camouflage nettings
New smoke grenades
New radios
New intercom
T85E1 rubber tracks
New heating systems
4 shock absorbers on each sides replaced with 2x more efficent ones improbing comfort and performance
plaus many more i havent found yet, both bigger and smaller

A little history about the M24 Chaffe wich the NM116 was upgraded from
This vehicle was developed as a replacement for the earlier American light tanks. Development of the wagon began in April 1943, serial production began in March 1944 and until production stopped in 1945, a total of 4,415 were built. The wagon entered service late in 1944 and then participated in both Europe and Asia until the end of the war. 1 1950 it returned to active service in the Korean War. France used the wagon to a large extent in Vietnam. During the Vietnam War, the wagon was used by both North and South Vietnam.

Norwegian usage:
The first wagons of this type came to Norway with the Americans
in 1945. When they withdrew. we took over these wagons. They then formed the backbone of our tank squadrons until the M48 came along in the 1960s. We have had a total of 141 wagons in Norway. They served in the reconnaissance squadrons until 1970, after which they were phased out of the cavalry. Most were converted to NM116 (see this). Of those that were not rebuilt, some ended up on firing ranges as targets, some were sold as scrap, while some came into service in the HV and were used here until 1991/92.

Norwegian Model 116
This vehicle was the first series-produced “Norwegian” tank. the basis was the M24 Chaffee, which was rebuilt by the company Thune-Eureka

The background for this conversion was that the M24 Chaffee had become redundant as pure tanks after the introduction of the Leopard. In contrast, there was a great shortage of anti-tank weapons in the army. It was therefore decided to rebuild and modernize the M24 so that it could be braked as an armored personnel carrier, officially. designation became NM116 Panzerjager.

The conversion mainly consisted of a new engine, new drive train, new cannon, new sights and a good number of other changes. The prototype was tested in 1973. In 1975, the first of a total of 72 NM116s was handed over to the cavalry inspector. The vehicles were put into use in the armored service squadrons where they served until 1993. Subsequently, these vehicles were also phased out as part of the CFE agreement.

Most were cut up in 1994, while some went to shooting targets at shooting ranges. Some wagons have also been taken over by the Defense Museum.

The main picture in this post most likely are the late verison, there are lacking pictures of the early verison

Below here we have a nice illustration from tanks encyclopedia showing a picture of how the prototype of the Original (ealy service) NM116 looked like. This verison had the same paint as the old M24 chaffes, wich should be “Olive Drab”, we can also see that the 12.7mm machinegun are placed in an added position in front of the Commanders hatch, this was changed on the late verison

D/925 low-pressure 90mm gun

Ammunition

• M62 HEAT grenades
    -320mm penetration
    -Norwegian definition: Hulladningsgranat
    -Projectile Weight: 3.650 kg
    -Projectile Length: 0.5m
    -Explosive Filler: 0.67 kg
    -Muzzle Velocity: 750 m/s
    Armor penetration
    -At 0 Degrees: 320mm
    -At 65 Degrees: 120mm
    -At 70 degrees: ----- High chanse of rikochet

• MF1 HE-FS grenades
    -Norwegian definition: Sprenggranat
    -Projectile Weight: 5.280 kg
    -Projectile Length: 0.48m
    -Explosive Filler: 0.945 kg
    -Muzzle Velocity: 640 m/s
    Armor penetration:
    -Uncertain due to lack of specifications

• MF1 SMOKE-FS grenades
    -Norwegian definition: Røykgranat
    -Projectile Weight: 5.40 kg
    -Projectile Length: 0.48m
    -Phosphorus Filler: 0.800 kg
    -Muzzle Velocity: 635 m/s
    -Smoke duration 20-30 seconds
    Armor penetration:
    -None

• EXERSISE grenades
    -Norwegian definition: Eksersesegranat/øvelsesgranat
    -Kinetic round

Drawings/bluepints
Picture for luberication points for grease, might show important details

Design schematics of the NM-116

M24 chaffe eigne deck left compared to the new upgraded eigne deck of the NM116 on the right

The new Detroit Diesel 6V-53T for the NM116’s

PICTURES

Spoiler

NM116 — ImgBB

SOURCES

Spoiler

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar-norway-nm-116-panserjager/ (mostly pictures from this site)
The book given out ny the Norwegian Defence Museum
“Motoriserte militærkjøretøy I norge 1905-2005”
Aanmelden bij Facebook | Facebook
Aanmelden bij Facebook | Facebook
Tankograd Publishing sheet

POLL

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

This post was made by
Til_Dovre_Faller
Warthunder_Norway

9 Likes

I already read the “Late” version are there any major differences other than armor?

2 Likes

12.7mm machinegun has changed placement
New muzzle brake
New sprocket wheel
Grunt phone and various cosmetic changes

There are more changes, but they are poorly documented. I hope to find some more information about them soon :)

2 Likes

Also isn’t that the same Diesel engine used in the Strv 103 C?

+1 just for M3)))

2 Likes

I dont think so, not sure. I wrote some about it in the late post

There were some changes to transmission and a new eigne. Based on stories that upgrade made its mobility/speed worse

Well it’s the Dd 6V-xxy series, which is the same used in the Strv 103 C, I just believe the Strv engine is the 6V-35T

I’ll look into the eigne later and see what i can find :) ill also as someone, wich might hase served with it

Alright, sounds good.

Edit:

Found it!

Also, do you know what Injection valves it uses, because that increases the horse power, and if it’s turbocharged then it might have like an extra 20-25 horsepower (which I’m fairly sure it is)

+1 for the Swedish tree. One version could be premium and one TT?

1 Like

I asked someone on a forum, and i got a lot of response, about this and many other things so i got to go trough it, it might take a while

the eigne of either the early or late verison (i will get back to this later) has a Turbocharged Detroit Diesel 6V-53T wich gave 260 hp. the same eigne that was in some of the M113 wagons, the difference they did not use the turbo

i saw someone say this “It sounded like a Ferrari but went like a Massey Ferguson”. based on their experience it must have been quite slow and heavy to use, like the m113 wagons hehe :)

Okay, makes sense, they could have added the better injection valves later to increase the horsepower to the ground. On the “late” model that is.

i am not so sure about the injection, i have to look a bit more for that. both the early and late verison used the mentioned detroit diesel eigne, i believe it was a twin eigne, since the original eigne on the 24 chaffe was a twin caddilac?

there was to begin with on the NM116 used some vehicles to test various eignes and transmissions, wich i just found :)

The twin engine makes sense, because if it was only one, that would be a major downgrade in horsepower, probably not on tourqe though. Because one 260 horsepower engine versus two 215 horsepower engines at 430 horsepower but two 290 horsepower engines with high tourqe would get that thing moving like a freight train, but that all depends on the injection valve system. And considering that that is the same system and model (the last model letter denotes the valve system) it’s the same on the STRV 103 C engine it should but out 290 per engine

1 Like

I would be very happy to see both the regular M24 Chaffee and NM116 in the Swedish tech tree.

Premium or regular tech tree, I don’t mind, either way I need this vehicle :-)

(Photo from “forsvarsmuseet”)

NM116 is seen in this video (timestamp 2:02 and 13:30)

After watching a video of the NM116 where they had taken the turret off, it seems like it was able to carry 30x rounds in the front right side of the hull