Northrop Gamma 2-E Bomber

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

12002763153_e929e8072e_o

History:

The Northrop Gamma 2-E (or A17) is a light bomber with a very interesting history. Originally meant to be a passenger and then cargo airliner and breaking records at the time, Northrop had great difficulty with being able to fill either role with the platform and decided to ultimately make it into a fighter bomber. Being produced from 1934, the nationalist Chinese air force took interest in the type, ordering around 150 units but only producing around 50, with production carried out at the site of the now closed Hangzhou Jianqiao Airport.

8616648119_2130dc28cd_o

12002816684_57f5347841_o

The Gamma 2-E type saw service right at the dawn of the Chinese war against Japan and participated in battles such as the Battle of Shanghai. One noteworthy 2-E was piloted by Shen Chonghui and Chen Xichun and as their plane suffered from critical in air faults, instead of ejecting from their plane, they dived on the IJN Izumo and used their bombs causing an ammo detonation, crippling the ship but failing to sink it, resulting in many crew losses onboard as their Gamma crashed.

28_zps2b9636c3

Even with the effort of pilots, they were unable to compete against the sheer numbers of aerial and naval forces that Japan had and the type ultimately resulted in a demise of running out of spare parts for the fleet and being lost to attacks, resulting in the remaining Gammas being grounded and replaced by the SB2 and other bombers as allied supplies started to trickle in.

How it fits in War Thunder:

China has very few unique aircraft available in War Thunder from the World War 2 and interwar time period. The 2-E would make for a very good option for a unique early China tree bomber, boasting a powerful armament for a light bomber and the capability of torpedo bombing, while also having a fairly good top speed and engine for its type.

Specifications:

8616651119_3726ff36ab_o

• Crew: 2
  • Engine: Wright SR-1820F-3 rated at 530KW
  • Wingspan: 14.55m
  • Length: 9m
  • Height: 2.77m
  • Maximum speed: 366.9 kmh
  • Maximum Altitude: 7100m
  • Empty weight: 1746kg
  • MTOW: 3447kg

Armament:

5978816642007323ac6eo

• 3 7.62mm MGs
    Two offensive wing mounted, 1 on rear gunner

• Bomb armament:

532015355_314066e37b

Maximum capacity of 762kg on under fuselage ridge mounts
Maximum amount of bombs that can be mounted: Up to 10 45kg bombs
Torpedo capacity: 1

source:

https://pacificeagles.net/northrop-gamma-2e/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Gamma
https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1757335894743968868

2 Likes

+1

Aah no way lol, I just submitted my own suggestion earlier today.

Either way +1, I’ll see what the mods will do with mine.

Interesting and unique for China! +1

+1

I’ll just copy and paste some stuff from my suggestion here.

There’s 3 Gamma type China received Gamma 2E, Gamma 2EC (Camera), & Gamma 2ED (Dual control)

Specifications (mainly from the assembly manual):

Wingspan: 48 ft
Length: 28 ft 10 in
Height: 9 ft 1 inch

Empty weight: 3750 lbs
No bombs, half a load of gasoline weight: 5500 lbs
Full loaded weight: 7500 lbs

Engine: 1 x Wright Cyclone SR-1820-F53 , 750 HP

Max speed: 367 km/h
Cruise speed: 264km/h

Engines from the assembly manual:

SR-1820-F-2 (650 HP) or SR-1820-F-3 (710 HP)

Armaments:

Offensive: 2 x 7.62mm Colt MG40 (1200 rounds total/ 600 each)
Defensive: 1 x 7.62mm Colt MG40 (4-5 x 100 round L-4 cartridges)
Rate of Fire: 1000-1200 rounds per minute

Bombs:

10 x 100lb Mk III bombs
2 x 600lb Mk III bombs
1 x 1,100 Mk III bombs

Other (2EC variant):

K4 or K3B camera
A-2 viewfinder

Cockpit of a gamma 2EC:

Spoiler

IMG_3590
IMG_3591

Gunners turret:

Spoiler

IMG_3592

Camera/Bombing room with Bombing lever:

Spoiler

IMG_3595

IMG_3626

Tail:
IMG_3589

Bombing configuration and 1,100lb bomb:

Spoiler

IMG_3593
IMG_3594

Gamma 2E assembly manual
http://read.nlc.cn/OutOpenBook/OpenObjectBook?aid=416&bid=87976.0

D-4a Bombing sight manual
http://read.nlc.cn/OutOpenBook/OpenObjectBook?aid=416&bid=66832.0

K4 camera manual
http://read.nlc.cn/OutOpenBook/OpenObjectBook?aid=416&bid=29709.0

China airforce magazine articles on the Gamma’s (w/English translation)

Raid on Japanese warships (Issue 7)

Spoiler

IMG_3557
IMG_3558
IMG_3559
IMG_3560

Air Force 2nd brigade The Battle of the East China Sea - Huang Zhentui

Return the enemy with bombing* bombing* bombing!

After the events of “August 13th” as the Fourth Destroyer Squadron valiantly swept the blood-red skies of the eastern front, another glorious record was etched in the proud history of the Chinese Air Force’s bombing missions. This remarkable record belongs to the Second Squadron - the formidable Assault Corps within the Chinese Air Force. Now several months have passed and although those days are behind us, the reason for not publicizing this tragic war history back then was primarily due to military considerations. This precious material remained hidden in the darkness. Today it emerges into the light and is shared with the world. Even though half a year has passed it still remains a fresh and vivid memory.

The Second Brigade is the backbone of the Chinese Air Force. During the entire resistance air war, the Second Brigade gave the arrogant enemy a most severe head-on blow. The enemy was scared and frightened, they couldn’t help but feel the power of our second brigade. Japanese Navy Rear Admiral Hisashi Matsunaga mentioned in his air combat paper published in the March issue of “Rising Sun” magazine:

『"The XXXX aircraft they succeeded in was used as bomber and it has very excellent performance. It’s an aircraft that can fly to Tokyo. This kind of aircraft has a speed of 190 miles per hour and a endurance of ten hours. The distance from Shanghai to Tokyo is 930 miles, round trip totaling 1,860 miles. Therefore, on a calm day, it is very easy to fly. As for the distance between Shanghai and Kobe or Osaka, it is less than 740 miles. Even with a slight wind, this type of aircraft can easily make the journey…”』

Japan, to prevent our excellent XXXX aircraft from reaching Tokyo, deployed a large number of naval and land-based interceptor aircraft in the East China Sea, blockading our route to Tokyo. On one hand they launched fierce attacks using the latest and most advanced aircraft from the Kisarazu and Kanoya Air Groups attempting to eliminate our formidable assault unit - the iron backbone of the Chinese Air Force.

The attacks by the Kisarazu and Kanoya Air Groups were repelled and defeated by our Fourth Squadron and XX squadron, leaving them in disarray. The entire aerial offensive capability of the Japanese “Empire” was completely decimated and bankrupted within a week marking the greatest loss and blow suffered by Japan. The devastating defeat of the Type 96 attack aircraft instilled new fears in the Japanese naval authorities regarding our elite XXXX aircraft.

After the disappearance of Japan’s aerial offensive capability the enemy forces located in the East China Sea around the Shizuoka and Hakata Bay area suddenly realized that the blue Chinese sky above them was dangerous and without cover. Even 3,000 to 5,000-ton “Empire” light cruisers and hundreds of smaller destroyers had no hope of avoiding destruction by the Chinese Air Force. For the first time in history the Japanese Navy suddenly felt its own insignificance.

How did 25-year-old Shen Chonghui die?

The most tragic scene in Bailong port

At the outset of the war the Second Squadron had already concentrated its forces in a secret location near Guangde in the western region of Taihu Lake, waiting on standby. When the enemy launched a full-scale aggression into the skies over Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces the Second Squadron recognized the bravery of the Fourth Squadron and fought fiercely against the enemy, meeting their attacks head-on and wiped them out one after another. Afterward, when the enemy had exhausted its strength, they shifted their focus to the naval formations of the enemy in the waters around Bailong Port, Sheshan Mountain, and Yangshan Mountain. They focused on the aircraft carriers packed with aircraft, the transport ships packed with the army, and the bare decks of large ships.

At the Guangde Flying Field, which is close to the mountains and facing the lake, a hundred Jianqiao students were secretly gathered: bringing with them one hundred thousand machine gun rounds, hundreds of tons of bombs, and 30,000 horsepower, coupled with their majestic physiques, indomitable spirit, and unwavering determination forming this formidable XX squadron, the iron backbone of the Chinese Air Force.

If the entire Second Squadron were to take off simultaneously, the roar of 30,000 horsepower would be like the armored and iron horses of the Fifth Division galloping across the sky. “The heavens will shake and the earth tremble.”

Starting from August 14th, the XX Squadron began staging one spectacular scene after another against the enemy.

Here is a passage from the recollection of Captain X of the Second Brigade:

“On the morning of August 19th, under the scorching sun, we took off. Seven aircraft formed a neat wedge and ascended into the azure skies, climbing to an altitude of 10,000 feet.”

The azure waves of Taihu Lake glistened like a mirror and the beautiful autumn fields of Jiangnan spread out beneath the wings.

Visibility extended to twenty thousand meters and there was a thin layer of clouds in the clear blue sky.

The powerful engines of seven XXXX planes roared in the sky above the majestic Pudong sandbank.

When passing over Nanhui deputy captain Shen Chonghui’s “904” aircraft seemed to have malfunctioned. Thin blue smoke emitted from the tail as it gradually fell behind the formation.

Shen Chonghui was a student from Tsinghua University, one of the most outstanding and decisive members of the third phase of the central aviation school. Well known to everyone.

When we looked back at the smoke and clouds over Pudong, we couldn’t see “No. 904” or any sign of Shen Chongjiao. Instead we saw the vast sea of clouds in the sky, shrouding the melancholic waters of the East China Sea near Bailong Port.

There seemed to be traces of enemy ships near Bailong Port in Huadao Mountain.

Around noon, leading six XXXX aircraft, we continued with our mission.

7,500 feet high the coast of the motherland has disappeared and below us is a clear blue sea with oval-shaped sandbars. Nearly an hour later, amid the roar of 5,000 horsepower, Sheshan was in sight!

There were about a dozen enemy warships, like leaves floating in the pond some of them emitting smoke.

At an altitude of 7,500 feet we entering a bombing run - more than 2,400 pounds of bombs were dropped in the first pass!

3,000 pounds of bombs dropped for the second pass! The air was tense.

Under the pressure of two and a half tons of iron, fiery flashes erupted, the seawater boiled wildly, and suddenly in the calm sea mountain-like white water columns suddenly arose, carrying thousands of fragments of debris, ravaging the ocean near Sheshan.

Three bombs hit a second-class cruiser’s left flank, just a meter away. After a fierce flash the ship’s hull gradually tilted emitting smoke and the crew scattered like ants. Eventually it capsized with a loud thud, its boilers exploding fiercely creating another towering column of white water.

The other enemy vessels, big and small, scattered in all directions. Leaving behind numerous radiating white waves on the blue waters.

On the way back home, the sky was clear, the sun was bright, and there was a sparse band of beauty overhead.

It seemed like six enemy fighter planes swiftly passed through the clouds, and it was challenging to distinguish between friend and foe.

Bailong Port is in sight again and the gray coastline of Pudong’s big sandbank slowly appeared. The place where the golden and blue seas are divided is Bailong Port.

At this time, we saw a lonely XXXX machine slowly patrolling 2,000 feet below us.

A large number of enemy ships appeared near Bailong Port. Upon seeing our majestic lineup they panicked and squirmed away towards Shanghai.

The opportunity was great but unfortunately all the bombs had been dropped and there were no weapons to engage the enemy.

Oh my God! Just when we were filled with grief and anger wishing we could eat the enemy ship alive, that lonely XXXX aircraft (now identified as Shen Chonghui’s “904”) which was constantly circling below us and above the enemy ships , suddenly aimed at an enemy ship, opened full throttle and rushed straight down!

Our hearts, our blood, our entire souls rushed down!

It felt as though the whole world held its breath, Bailong Port dimmed and the land and sea changed color·····

Boom–intense white water column, a large puff of black smoke, rising hundreds of feet from the sea.

When the smoke cleared the enemy ship was tilting, tilting, dipping stern first into the water, people jumping into the sea like frogs. Then, with a loud bang, the ammunition magazine exploded and everything was obliterated!

Shen Chonghui, if we cry for you without tears, if we cheer for you silently, our hearts will be boiling, our teary eyes will be blurred, and our bodies of fervor surged like a thousand galloping horses. Old Shen, Comrade Shen, Deputy Captain Shen, the six XXXX aircraft all roared with force and paid their final salute to the white waters of Bailong Port. 』

The above passage is a recollection from the leader of the Second Brigade. However let’s not forget that this is just one page from the countless heroic achievements of the Second Brigade. We have selected this page to commemorate the spirit of the “Revolutionary Jianqiao” and to honor the captain.

Bombing Japanese headquarters in Shanghai (Issue 8)

Spoiler

IMG_3561
IMG_3561

Our six new and beautiful “Northrop” bombers quietly passed through piles of dark clouds with big heavy bombs hung under the aircraft. It’s like six full goldfish swimming in a pond full of water and plants.

The bombs are talking to each other!

“I want to crush the enemy’s ammunition depot!”

“I want to crush the enemy’s stronghold!”

“I want to crush the enemy’s invasion plan!”

“I want to crush the spirit of every invader”

…They have been buried under a dank and dark cellar for many years, eager to try out their skills for a long time! Today they are able to show off their skills, which brings them indescribable joy and excitement.

The weather was extremely bad and it was drizzling when we took off. However the urgency of the situation prevents us from assessing the extent of danger. The mission this time was to bomb the Japanese barracks in Hongkou. That was the headquarters of the enemy forces in Shanghai. The sturdy building makes it impossible for light bombs to attack it; the thorough air defense makes it difficult for attackers to carry out their mission. Recent intelligence reported that most of the enemy troops have been driven into the barracks by our troops and are still resisting despite the danger.

We climbed high in the clouds wingtip to wingtip and it took us a long time to climb above the clouds. Everyone dispersed the formation slightly, took a deep breath, and flew in the direction of Shanghai.

The vast expanse of clouds below seemed as if one could stand on them and it appeared as though you could land a plane on them. If one were to land on the cloud sea and step out of the plane to play, I couldn’t even imagine how much fun that would be. I looked back at my comrade, Mr. X, and he made a funny face, causing me to burst into laughter.

In about fifteen minutes, we should be arriving in Shanghai. Deputy Captain X signaled by shaking his wings and pointing to a spot below with his finger and we all understood! We assumed a posture like swallows skimming the water and the six of us emerged from the clouds, flying closely just above the cloud base. The buildings on the ground gradually became denser, indicating our approach to the destination. Ah! We could see it now. The towering International Broadcasting Corporation building reached into the clouds, almost touching our wings. Green grass, white waterfront roads, all supporting grand architecture. The instruments of culture dissemination were inevitably exposed to the destruction of enemy artillery!

Our target was finally in sight, a square fortress-like building surrounded by rows of barracks. Inside, it was filled with weapons and ammunition used by the enemy to slaughter our countrymen.

When enemies meet, they become especially jealous. At this moment, the aircraft flapped its wings, and we followed suit as a signal of understanding. We immediately maintained our bombing formation, flying at a constant speed and altitude, in a straight line towards the target, resolutely and proudly penetrating the enemy’s airspace as if we were oblivious to their presence.

At that very moment, the enemy opened fire with anti-aircraft guns. Puffs of smoke burst around our aircraft, mostly behind us. It looked like the sky was filled with balloons. Some of them were accurate shots, exploding right beneath my wings, creating deafening noises and causing my plane to shake.

We were now over our target, with the altimeter reading just 800 feet. At this altitude, the enemy could even shoot at us with rifles. The enemy soldiers were in a panic, shooting wildly without a clear target. The sounds of ground-based anti-aircraft guns and machine guns were clearly audible. The gunfire was so intense that it was almost impossible to distinguish individual shots. The air was filled with the strong smell of gunpowder.

We dropped our bombs all at once! They mercilessly homed in on the enemy camp, turning it from a massive structure into tiny remains. With their earth-shattering might rumble, rumble, rumble····· they turned the entire enemy camp into a colossal cloud of smoke. Our smiles sent countless invaders to their deaths and it was their own doing! Our hands were indeed stained with blood but it was the blood of surgeons, not the blood of executioners!

Not good! A bullet suddenly pierced through my engine cowling from below·····and another one passed through my wing·····In an instant, my left landing gear was gone·····and then the engine cowling in front of my seat bulged out in two places, within arm’s reach. I looked back at my comrade who wasn’t worried at all about the danger and urgently extended half of his body ta-ta-ta! Ta-ta-ta! ····· firing back at the panicked enemy soldiers on the rooftops of the camp buildings.

With the mission completed the lead aircraft gave a signal and we all understood. Each of us dispersed into the clouds and began our solo blind flight.

The sound of gunfire gradually faded into the distance and became sparse.

I used the instruments to level the aircraft and set a gradual climb angle. Meanwhile, I began to carefully inspect the damage to the plane. She flew tirelessly through the sky day and night to defend her homeland, bearing numerous wounds in her quest to fulfill the mission of driving out the cruel enemy. Each scar was deep and dark, concealing the fiery rage of revenge as she let out mournful cries across the river. She had indeed suffered greatly!

One of the fuel tanks had been punctured. I immediately shut off the leaking fuel and then checked my own body. I ran my left hand over my leg and face finding myself unharmed. I looked back at my comrade and he smiled and stuck out his tongue at me, in return I stuck my tongue out at him.

The plane gradually broke out of the clouds, “BANG” “BANG”, my companion suddenly slapped the plane with his hand. I looked back and saw an enemy seaplane with pontoons. However I ignored it as its speed was limited and there was a sea of clouds below me to conceal my escape. I continued on my course and payed it no attention.

Due to the difference in altitude he actually caught up to me! He was so nervous that he fired from beyond the normal shooting distance. I hated myself so much that I couldn’t fight with him because I was not a fighter. So I pushed the nose of my plane into the clouds to evade him. Flying in the clouds was like sleeping with a blanket over your head, stuffy and uncomfortable. After some time I resumed to pull my aircraft out of the clouds the enemy plane was reluctant to part and still pursuing me from behind, however he couldn’t catch up. Gradually, he fell farther behind. Knowing he couldn’t do anything to me he shook his plane and performed a somersault, then flew in the opposite direction. I still can’t figure out his intention behind this acrobatic display in front of me!

The sea of ​​clouds is still spread in the sky like an endless carpet. The sky had turned to a deep dark color. The sunlight, free from any trace of pollution, shone on my wings and the party emblem on the wings, with dazzling metal reflections looked both beautiful and solemn. The shadow of the plane penetrated the white clouds, and there was a colorful rainbow circle around the shadow. When the task was completed, I felt a sense of relief and special kind of happiness. Friends! "The greatest joy is hidden in the greatest danger”! I looked back at my companion and he made a face again. We both burst into laughter but we couldn’t hear each other laugh.

After safely landing at Guangde Airport our comrades who had been waiting there eagerly greeted us. They were anxious to hear the detailed account of our mission. The mechanic was busy counting the bullet holes on the aircraft. “One, two… this one is the most dangerous, it went through many oil pipe lines and grazed the carburetor… a total of eight,” They used their thumb and index finger to indicate the count and added, “Today, all six aircraft returned with bullet holes, but they all made it back! Ha ha!”

My comrade and I put our flight caps back on our heads, carried our maps, and shuffled our way to the squadron headquarters, dragging our cumbersome flying boots behind us.

Why weren’t we shot down by machine guns?" A comrade asked out of curiosity.

“If bullets have eyes they cannot hit us; if bullets have no eyes they cannot find us.”

After I finished speaking I made a face to him and both of us laughed!

Bombing the Ryujo (Issue 16)

Spoiler

IMG_3620
IMG_3621
IMG_3563
IMG_3564

Bombing the Ryujo

The Japanese air invaders have five active nests in the ocean — aircraft carriers,the Ryūjō is one of them. It has a displacement of 7,600 tons and can carry thirty-six aircraft. It holds the third position in the invaders aircraft carrier group in the Sea of Japan. Since the outbreak of the “83 (August 3rd)” conflict it has left the invaders’ stronghold and headed towards Shanghai. It anchored hundreds of nautical miles from Shanghai in the sea performing the mission of covering the invaders and attacking our country.

The fiercest group of Japanese invaders the “Kisarazu and Kanoya Air Group,” in the months following the outbreak of the war, valiantly succumbed to the earth of our brave airmen, the indomitable spirit of these ironclad facts has taught them that the tiger’s whiskers are not to be easily trifled with. However, driven by their overconfidence, these daring invaders continue their attempt to taste the flavor of our justice iron fist.

Under the impetus of this invader mentality they have mobilized three-fifths of their aircraft carriers and a large number of invader fighters. Our Eastern Sea Squadron’s young warriors have been diligently preparing to crush the stubborn dreams of these unyielding invader groups. Our excited hearts eagerly await the arrival of this opportunity.

In our eager anticipation the opportunity finally arrived. We received orders from high command to bomb the enemy aircraft carrier Ryūjō, which was anchored in the sea between Nagasaki and Shanghai.
In the early hours of the morning before the sun had risen our friend - the mechanic - had already risen from his dreams and fed the iron bird waiting to take flight. Then we, the warriors ready for battle, gathered in a square filled with a sense of determination. It was November and apart from our armored uniforms we also wore clothing to protect against the cold. These clothes bore visible stains of blood, the debt the enemy had paid to us. It was our trophy, a gift from the Japanese invaders and here we should acknowledge the favor of the Japanese invaders.

It was six o’clock in the morning and the sun had already risen above the Eastern Sea, casting its radiant light as if smiling upon us, encouraging out spirits, the warriors ready for battle. It nourished the seeds of our hearts!

One by one we climbed into our iron birds started the engines and rapidly took off. I was the lead pilot and as I pulled the control stick towards my chest I soared into the sky like an eagle ascending. The other aircraft followed suit forming a V-shaped formation and we headed towards the Eastern Sea.

Gradually we navigated out of our country’s airspace and entered the airspace above the Eastern Sea. Looking into the distance we saw patches of white clouds floating in the vast sky and gazed down at the boundless sea, bathed in the morning light, it radiated a beautiful splendor. This three-dimensional tableau of intertwined scenes gave us an everlasting and delightful memory.

In less than thirty minutes of flying we had already spotted an oval-shaped and pale-colored monster lying on the endless sea. Furthermore we saw thirteen plump little birds perched on its deck. That’s when we recognized its true identity — our target, a tempting piece of fat meat!

This was the first time we had ever met it in our lives and it was also the first time it had seen our iron fists!

Although we were at an altitude of 8,000 meters we ignored the freezing temperature due to our tense and excited emotions. We forgot about the cold, we forgot about everything else and we focused all our mental energy on the machines and the target in front of us.

This monster continued to emit puffs of white smoke resembling the dance of delicate flowers around us. We felt like butterflies soaring amidst the blossoms creating yet another scene worth savoring.

We had a belief and determination from the beginning that when it came to our mission we would use ourselves as human bombs and go down together with this aircraft carrier. According to our estimations the cost of this aircraft carrier was at least tens of times more than the total value of our squadron’s planes. Even if our entire team were sacrificed it would still be worth it.

When we flew into the airspace above the aircraft carrier, we offered our sincere tribute with all our heart. Oh, what a spectacle! What magnificence! A deafening roar shattered the quiet sea surface. Layers of fireworks adorned the monotonous sky. The massive carrier rocked like a cradle, teetering on the edge of collapse. The sea sprayed thousand-foot waves and the waves surged like a stampede in all directions. Some sailors struggled in panic, some had become Bo chen’s companions, and others had already become Zhurong’s (God of fire) captives.

Having completed our mission we swiftly turned back. However, in less than ten minutes, we realized that six enemy aircraft were closing in from behind. At this point we had a clear policy: don’t seek trouble but don’t fear it either. So with one hand we pushed the throttle to its limit racing through the skies like meteors and with the other hand we held firm on the controls prepared to give the enemy a head-on challenge. Nevertheless we always hoped to avoid an unnecessary dogfight because we knew that the clumsy bombers were often at a disadvantage in aerial combat against agile fighter planes. Therefore we used our wits and skill to evade the enemy’s barrage as much as possible.

In an instant the enemy fighter planes closed in. Of course we couldn’t follow the spirit of Ah Q and let them hit us without retaliation. The enemy’s aircraft made a “gugu” sound as they fired, we responded with our own “gugu” sound as we fired back. We hadn’t expected to leave a memory of attacking the enemy on our way back home. Nor had we anticipated that x people would come from far and wide to welcome us.

As we engaged in combat we tried to climb as high as possible attempting to surpass the enemy’s altitude and gain a favorable position. Luckily we spotted a gap in the clouds above us. With all our might we pulled the control stick towards ourselves and smoothly entered the cloud gap. Within minutes the sounds and sights of enemy planes gradually disappeared into the vast sky. We were thankful the enemy sent us off to peacefully return.

The enemy planes dispersed and we descended from our high altitude emerging from the cloud gap continuing on our journey home.

“Look! Our homeland is in sight!”

“See the beautiful land, the picturesque rivers and mountains, our comrades on the ground and the people in the rear all with welcoming smiles, waving to us!”

We were returning from afar and seeing our homeland in the distance was as comforting as an orphan reuniting with their caregiver! Each one of us carried a light and joyful heart, quickly returning to the embrace of our homeland.

The next morning at breakfast we, comrades in arms, were discussing the events of yesterday’s bombing mission. The newspapers had arrived confirming the facts of the mission once again.

Captain Xu Zhuoyuan led the Northrop aircraft to bomb “Ryūjō” in an operation that took place on November 11th of last year. Since then, the “Ryūjō” had two months of repair time but couldn’t set sail along the coastal provinces. (The cover of our 12th issue featured a bombing image of the “Ryūjō”). Since June of this year the “Ryūjō” has been subjected to further bombings by our air force in the middle reaches of the Yangtze River sustaining serious damage and is currently undergoing repairs once again.

2 Likes

i sent my suggestion a while ago, not sure why it was only approved a few days ago. nice to know other people have interest in these planes too. the additions are much more detailed than what i originally sent, i appreciate that.

2 Likes

Military Green Painting of the 14th Flight Squadron Northrop Gamma 2E

1940年伽马2e
13094251_1699072320373747_4011077865975261385_n
Black Painting of the 9th Flight Squadron Northrop Gamma 2E

1 Like