Next Major Update - Rumor Round-Up & Discussion

I know this is way off topic but this just happened to me and I need to say it.

Spoiler

For the past day or two my PC has been crashing whenever I played War Thunder for more than 10 minutes. All the error codes were pointing to my GPU being the problem. Anyway I checked everything and nothing seemed out of place until I saw this:

My power supply started melting the cable to the GPU. It would have caused a fire and done some serious damage. For the love of god folks check your systems.

I was lucky and caught it in time but you might not be.

Please take a look and check it to make sure. It only takes around 5 minutes and it’s not hard to do.

Sorry for being off topic but since I found out by trying to troubleshoot War Thunder I thought it best to just say and get it off my mind. Keep yourselves safe guys.

19 Likes
Spoiler

Is there a specific reason why it was starting to melt it? just curious do you have a 4090?

I honestly have no idea. I’ve had this PSU for around 4 years so as far as PC components go it is getting on in age.

I have a 3080 and the power supply is the correct wattage for the whole system.

May I ask does it go on a gray screen and does a strange buzzing ?

No, it would play fine for a few minutes then my screen would go black and display no signal but the rest of the system would stay on.

I think it may have done some damage to my CPU cooler too as before I opened it up I was seeing CPU temps of 80 degrees just on the desktop and around 110 degrees when running War Thunder. My PC would switch off then as a safety measure from overheating.

I’m honestly just at a loss for how exactly this happened. It looks like it corroded and then started shorting between the wires, the cable and socket are completely melted together.

5 Likes

Yea I had the gray screen and a buzzing sound with my PC screaming at me earlier, I think whatever they done has needed more GPU power or something.

Check inside your PC first to see if there’s anything clearly physical.

Also check Event Viewer and look for Critical logs as those are usually crashes. Type Reliability into the Windows search bar aswell and look for Critical errors, that’s how I found out the crashes were from the GPU having issues. Sadly it couldn’t tell me it was melting at that point

5 Likes

Bloody h*ll, I’m glad you found out in time!

Thank you for sharing it with us, its a clear reminder we should always be careful and check our devices regularly…

2 Likes

Havn’t opened mine in a good year, must done the dust soon i think xD

But it’s well ventilated from the start, I have a glass section and there’s nothing disturbing inside.

1 Like

Fans are deceptively good at hiding dust. You can’t see it when they are spinning and unless you can see in there when it’s powered off you can’t really tell how much dust is in there.

3 Likes

Just something to add to this I posted this on Reddit and someone said they have the same PSU model and have had it for nearly as long as I have had and it has also had this issue earlier this month. I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue or there’s just 2 unlucky people out here.

If you have a Cooler Master MWE 750W V2 PSU check it and make sure.

1 Like

Trust me, do it regularly.

I’d not opened my laptop up for a good 3 years, and jesus wept it was hideous. I took some photos and it was just fluff that was black like coal soot.
I got myself the most unprofessional of cleaning tools for the cooling fans (toothpicks) but dear christ it sounds much happier now. Runs noticeably better too, and doesn’t heat up nearly as much, or as quickly.

Clearing the fans unprofessionally helps no end, but a quick sweep of hardware will never go amiss. Gives a nice opportunity to air any bits and bobs too.

You have a 3080, but only a 750W PSU?

I use dry air spray (dont remember the eng name).

1 Like

Most people just call it spray duster or duster spray

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the Floréal-class be a good top-of-the-line vehicle for the French coastal then?

Floréal-class:

• 100 mm gun
  • two 20mm’s
  • exocet launchers (inoperable in WT ofc for now, but were also removed later, so might not need to be modeled)
  • Helicopter platform

Or the D’Estienne d’Orves-class, which is more like the other frigates/small destroyers we have at ‘top’-tier coastal right now.

Lieutenant de vaisseau Lavallée - D'Estienne d'Orves-class:

• 100 mm gun
  • 2 x 20mm’s
  • exocet launchers (inoperable in WT ofc for now)
  • 4 x L3 or L5 type torpedoes in four fixed catapults
  • option of a twin Mistral launcher
  • option of a rocket launcher

Or a Belgian one with the French 100mm as a secondary option (after a french one is added first of course!): Wielingen-class

F 912 BNS Wandelaar

• 1 x Creusot-Loire 100mm gun
  • 1 x Mk-29 launcher for 8 x RIM-7 Sea Sparrow SAM
  • 4 x MM38 Exocet SSM launcher
  • 1 x Bofors M/50 375mm multiple ASW rocket launcher
  • 2 x ECAN L5 Mod.4 533mm (21”) torpedo tubes

But french naval is definitely not complete! There are so many more frigates that can be added.

4 Likes

Dunno everyone of them but yeah they looks cool as end of the line for coastal.

I would also like the Jeanne d’Arc 2.0, transformed as heli carrier, 4x100mm and 6 Exocet launcher, nice punch for a little heli carrier

Résumé

Once again not a lack of choice, ending with the La Combattante in wich Gaijin didn’t even give SS12 but just SS11 that are way more bad, it’s sad. Dunno how a ship like that can be 4.0 when things like koln are 4.3.

Also really want the 2 meme vehicle like the sherman barge and the boat with FL10 turret.

3 Likes

If the Brits can get the barge with the 57mm turret, then the french can get a meme LCS as well XD

1 Like

And if the Russian can have so many boat with their tank turret on it, where are mine ?! :D

And of course little eyes on the cruiser i want the most, the Colbert C611, wich could pass the USS Atlanta for an amateur :p

10x2 57mm AA
8x2 127mm

Later variant got Exocet alongside other weaponry.

3 Likes

Don’t rule out a game-related issue after the update… I’ve seen many people in Latin American forums complaining about a drastic increase in CPU temperature. This may have damaged your power supply.

3 Likes