Modern ARH (FOX 3) Missile - History, Performance & Discussion

Aim-120 just seems to be the outright best fox-3 due to it having what looks like very low drag.

2 Likes

It has too little energy potential to make launching in TWS worth it, generally runs out of energy too early unless you launch at high speed and high altitude.

And even then, that’s if the enemy doesn’t do much in the way of defensive flying to drain it of energy even further.

Best use case is inside its 16km active range.

1 Like

My issue is that in TWS it wont launch…
I know at what ranges to attempt using it. Are there any setting messing with that lock/launch?

The R-77 has excessive drag

4 Likes

I mean, ya seen those things on the back of it? I would assume they have a lotta drag ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Low attitude test.
Since gaijin did not modify the flight data of 27er and derby, their test results are from previous tests.
AIM-120A is best.
C5 has better LOFT, but due to the particularly low drug of A, it seems to have no advantage.
R-77-1 is similar to the MICA at close range, but still cannot beat the 120A at mid or long range.
AAM-4 looks like a weaker AIM-120A, except longer battery life (100s).

10 Likes

Was launching fine when I used it last shortly after the update dropped, unless something changed since.

Does AIM-120A/B meet or exceed the shots outlined in the SHAR FA2 manual? (Or whatever it was I know it was discussed somewhere.)

Thanks, any for 6,000 or 7,000 meters alt?

And what about the panels? They do not give such an increase

Aim-120 Surpasses ER, which is impossible, ER does not reach speeds of 120 m/s

Who said it surpasses ER?

How is this at all surprising when you launch at Mach 1.6?

The speed at the end of the path

Yes, because R-27ER was not lofted, while AIM-120s were. Loft helps keep the average speed up high. Manually lofted R-27ER would surpass everything like the charts before.

In DCS, the ER keeps the speed higher, which is correct, and at the level of the C version.And it should be worse

DCS should be ignored, even they admitted they have to work on their R-27ER. Their AIM-7F modeling is wrong too.

But the speed indicators of the R-27ER are correct

This is the entirely expected result of comparing a draggy, high impulse missile versus a less draggy, lower impulse missile in a high speed shot.

1 Like

Then perhaps something is going on with their AIM-120s or ours. Idk.