Missiles locks need to be range restricted

You do realize that missiles can hit a target from 10’s to 100’s of kilometers away IRL too right?

1 Like

I’m just saying that I intentionally climb up to 7200 meters and someone who’s at 3500 meters has a 100% chance of hitting you. That makes no sense to me, I mean you should have a 20% or a 10% chance of hitting a target. I mean sure it takes some time to get up there to hit me and maybe if I did some turning maneuvers I would dodge them more.

For most SARH, that is an easy shot to make. R-27ER, Aim-7M and Skyflash ST can make short work of what is only 4kms. In a level flight, those missiles could hit something 30+kms away with relative ease. so whilst yes it will loose energy climbing, it will have more than enough energy to hit something at that height. But you should be warned by your RWR, so you’ll know you need to drop chaff and notch.

As for an IR missile, few have that kind of range to reliably hit, except maybe things like R-27ET being the main one that comes to mind (though I dont know if its currently still in a nerfed state).

But artificial nerfs defeat the entire point of War Thunder.

1 Like

Well I did say it takes a while for a missile to get to me, so maybe if I stop flying straight a did some maneuvers it would be harder to hit me.

Yep, that would certainly help. What are you flying out of interest?

The USSR basically, up to 11.3.

So no BVR trucks then, avoid climbing, hug the deck.

That’s funny that you mention that because yesterday I flew close to the ground for my first flight out and I bombed at least 5 or 6 targets before being shot down, so flying close to the ground must be the solution.

Due to multi-pathing, SARH dont work well at low alt and you are mostly safe, the only real reason to ever sit high at higher BRs is when you have the SARH to win a BVR dual, R-27ER, Aim-7M and Skyflash ST, Aim-54. If you have those and a good radar to go with it, then its worth it. If not, hug the deck

I just finished a game where I mostly hugged the deck and I only got shot down by a missile once so, it works.

1 Like