Mirage 2000 Thread : Variants, performance, characteristics and sources

Except we do? It accelerates faster and maneuvers better than the 7F/M, but has lower max range due to increased drag and seeker duration time? That’s literally what you described. Missile top speeds are never attained at low alt because of drag anyways, so expecting it to hit M5.0 at WT combat alts is just utter insanity.

The Super 530D does not maintain it’s speed faster after burn, it bleeds significantly faster. Any kind of BVR engagement will show a huge advantage toward the lower caliber AIM-7M. I never said the caliber was inaccurate for the Super 530D, rather just pointing out it is 31% larger than the AIM-7M.

2 Likes

AIM-7F has wing actuators in the middle of the airframe which are not ideal, the Super 530D has a better design and yet due to it’s larger caliber suffers in war thunder. The drag mechanics that were emplaced (and fixed the AIM-7F overperformance) ended up nerfing some other missiles which then needed changes. None more than the Super 530D that has incorrect guidance principles in-game that are causing it to bleed speed obnoxiously fast against maneuvering targets.

Saying a car out-accelerates another car but can only do so for half the time is a pretty silly way of saying it’s faster. “Yeah I get to 60mph faster, but top out at 60” … then the other car just passes you doing 120. (exaggerated example).

2 Likes

Ah, misunderstood

Thats not an accurate example at all tho? Its like saying that both cars will hit 60 and one will do it faster, but the one that does it faster will also slow down faster once both cars come off the accelerator and coast. Saying its slow cuz it slows down faster after coasting despite both attaining the same speed is much weirder imo.

As DirectSupport even said himself, the 530D has shorter guidance time with shorter range than something like the 7F due to design prioritizations. Unless theres actual charts showing the 530D is underperforming within its flight envelope, I see no reason to believe that its currently doing anything wrong.

Again you’re misunderstanding. The Super 530D has a 2s booster, the AIM-7F is slightly less accel but burns for 4.5 seconds.

The sustainers are similar story, and they result in VERY similar deltaV… however…
The Super 530D has significantly more drag than the AIM-7F because it is a bigger missile and also relies on tail control. Has more “wing” surface area.

Guy’s literally just listing the missile’s max potential in an irl scenario at higher altitude, why are you being so passive agressive here. Also it’s confirmed that the missile is too slow/draggy, it was corrected once before the drag changes but that didn’t last long because of them

Passive aggressive? I’m literally just talking m8, trying to understand why they call it slow. Why are you being so actively aggressive?

Except i also described that it should beat the AIM-7F at ranges where they launch a missile against each other, at 30km+ or so, which it fails to. It fails to be faster towards 40km away. Also, I’d caution against comparing two missiles of different caliber, weight, burn time, and deciding whether theyre performing as appropriately.

There is such chart. We have the Super 530D performance sheet.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/955829235493273680/1126940138136686642/unknown-44_3.jpg

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/955829235493273680/1126940133954953256/unknown-41_1.jpg

And the total fuel mass is wrong:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/955829235493273680/1126940143228563456/fuelmass-1.jpg

5 Likes

Okay then, but maybe now you understand how it’s slower than it should be

Ty

1 Like

NP. I laid everything out in my report and also provided a video of the testing. The conclusion is that at 20km away, its 11% slower than it should be. The percentage gets higher the longer the distance. So something like 22-25% slower than it should be at 40km away.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/KlRVc90fclX9

5 Likes

As much as fixing it would be good, its also much less significant of a problem considering its underperforming in the least important portion of its flight envelope imo

Its underperforming through the whole flight envelope. Should have better acceleration and also bleed less speed after burn. This is fixed by reducing its drag value.

It helps since it gives enemy less time to react if your missile is faster.

1 Like

Let md talk American ,
What happens if fire a 7f/m low alt at distances of 5 or 4 km and target start rolling and pulling the elevator up only cutting the roll at last moment ?
7f/m misses you head on .
That is because it doesn’t have enough speed to use 25g it has .
Now we have 530D which is 30 G with much more drag .
It will be much slower and just like magic 2 it is useless as its burner runs out .
Funny enough the 530D kills the target at the same senario as the higher wing area lets it use higher g at much slower speeds making it usable only because of it .

1 Like

Rather the AIM-7F/M with only lateral overload modeled (not combined plane) can only utilize 25G, good for hitting an ~8G target and bad at hitting things in roll due to the lack of combined plane.

The Super 530D with it’s tail control design actually maneuvers the entire missile at higher AoA than the AIM-7 would, both have their pros and cons but there simply are more pros to the tail control design. That’s why all modern short range / dogfight missiles follow a design similar to the Super 530D. It’s meant for fighter targets for the most part.

2 plane is still not modeled but is the tail control surfaces did in game ?

If you launch the 530D in the game while being slower or in considerable offset to the target, you can see that once the tracking kicks in, it pulls a lot of AOA.

I thought that is because missile is slow

That too, if you launch R-27 at altitude like 20000 metres, it pulls a lot of aoa too.