Mirage 2000 Thread : Variants, performance, characteristics and sources

Hi guys.

Just an update on the MAWS situation. Mirage 2000-5F and 2000D-R1 will receive DDM 2000 MAWS functionality in the major update.

44 Likes

Amazing ! Thanks for the spontaneous notice

3 Likes

Will it get some new fuel tanks as well by any chance?

1 Like

The 5f (10.0) will get fuel tank like the 5BA ?

Would be really good indeed to have access to those fuel pods, they don’t even block the use of all fox3 possible to take

For Sim it can be interesting, but I think it won’t be necessary for ARB as the Snecma is not super thirsty on m2k. But would still be cool to have the option as it is so iconic silhouette !

Adding more internal fuel and negatively impacting performance is not a good thing for the Mirage 2000.
Only 1300l drop tank just isn’t enough.

The Mirage 5F will have the 5BAs drop tanks too yes.

17 Likes

Thx

There is a Mirage 2000 wing drop tank in the in-game data, are there any plans to add it?

1 Like

That’s the one i hope the most for (i mean all Mirage 2000s)

Additional fuel tanks are being added periodically over time. Some may not be fully configured yet. The current priority is to give as many different aircraft at least 1 fuel tank option as possible. Others may then be introduced later for aircraft that already have external tanks.

14 Likes

ok thank you

Will Mirage2000 recieve uptaded pilot models? Devblog only mentions about Usa and Russian planes.

3 Likes

This doesn’t seem right, I described the function earlier

1 Like

Because it’s not a true movable canard. It’s a fixed canard that has the possibility to be feathered/disabled to cancel its effect on the airflow, mainly in case of malfunction in the FBW system.

Explained here, around 1:14:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu4V9zn0wZ4&t=4376s

Also we got this, allegedly from the M4K flight manual

1 Like

Ofc it’s an extremely crude comparison and very far from physical reality, and maybe doesn’t apply to Gripen specifically.

I’m basing this take from what I understood of a former Dassault aerodynamicist that worked on the Rafale, and makes a huge distinction between the Eurofgihter and Rafale canards philosophy.

He explicitely says that they are NOT a control surface on the Rafale, and functionnaly closer to flaps as a lift enhancing device.

He also explicitely says that on the Eurofighter they are used for their lever arm as a means to improve post stall manoeuverability, in extenso as control surfaces of some sort.

1 Like

Halal

They act like an elevator, whether he meant it isn’t a ‘trim’ device necessarily… They are still the device that manages pitch. The canard produces either positive or negative lift and can be feathered to reduce lift and increase stability margin. This is the premise of all modern delta canards.

1 Like

I mean, call it what you want. My point remains : the purpose of a close-coupled canard (like on the Rafale) is to increase the lift of the main wing through vortexes creation (hence my comparison to flaps). It’s the reason why there exist fixed close-couple canards aircrafts such as the Viggen, the Kfir or the M4K. The Rafale’s controlable canards are the next logical step.

On the Eurofighter it is not the case, the canard is aerodynamically independent from the wings and performs closer to how an elevator does.

Ofc in both cases the canards create their own lift as well and contribute to moving the COL forward but there is more to it than that.

Also fun fact, the Rafale’s elevons cover 14% of the main wing area while it’s only 10% on the Typhoon, which shows that the Typhoon relies more on its canards for its pitch control

1 Like