Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29M (9-15) - what the fulcrum would have been

Normal MiG-29s don’t, the 29M can use the laser of the IRST

1 Like

According to this article: How good was Mig-29m 9.15 - Military and Aviation - ED Forums

The integrated system did have thermals and this same article lists the L-150 as the aircraft RWR instead of the Spo-15T.
This features may have been added later in the 90s and probably were not there when prototype 156 was completed in 1991.

6 Likes

Amazing job man, hopefully they will take this article into account.

2 Likes

I believe the Thermal Imagining part was for a planned/Proposed Targeting pod, I’m guessing that much at least

“It was furthermore envisioned to equip the aircraft with pod containing an Electro-Optical system comprising laser, TV and thermal imaging”

1 Like

Yeah that together with the L-150 were probably only planned upgrades, the prototypes probably never received neither the pod nor the upgraded RWR

The only pod I can find is T-220, which is very new, only for MIG-29M2 and MIG-35. Sources say upgraded smt too, but no photos.

3 Likes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/780740266029350937/1206402878701314108/69379c6e2eca384be57198a9a547b06a.jpg?ex=65dbe13c&is=65c96c3c&hm=8078b1b5b387cc39ee0fba094b714af14e3f4fbeefdbe605e1024832234e79f5&
Can it use this pod?

Yes

4 Likes

unfortunately not the MiG-29M 9-15

1 Like

But MiG-29M 9-15 can use the nose IRST for designating ground targets right? Btw how effective is that method? How does IRST even emit laser?

Supposedly its nose can double as a laser designator but saying if gaijin would model that is a whole other question.

This is mig-35, OLS-K is only for mig-35, which has corresponding interfaces

How does it emit laser? isn’t this for IR?

The IRST has a laser for rangefinding purposes. It is probable they changed the laser to be in a guidance waveband, as even as far back as Vietnam it was determined an IRST could reasonably track ground targets. Giving the laser the ability to act as an illuminator is a logical choice in a modernization program.

5 Likes

thank you

stumbled on this picture. While not loaded on the wing that kh-25l on the ground seems to be aligned to the 6th pylon. Although it may just be prospective

7 Likes

Unlike any other 29M varients, it could carry a lots of flares instead of 32 rounds
i really don’t wanna play top tier with only 32 rounds of countermeasures

3 Likes

The cherry picking of potentially good soviet/rus planes continues…

1 Like

bruh your entire existence around the forum can be summarized in shitting on soviet/russian planes + muh russian bias whine lmao

3 Likes

The most catered too nation in the game lol

Shocking how that might prove annoying to someone that owns everything, dynamic gameplay is difficult when so often one nation is handed all the key advantages.

With the R-77 being middle of the road, the rest of the nations have a rare moment to shine right now. Seeing Russia get yet another prototype/limited production vehicle is exhausting, add another T-80 while you’re at it