Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

the “Oswald Efficiency factor” coefficient of an aircraft in the game files is unrelated to the one (ones) in real life. Performance tests like sustained turn and loops are the only thing we can use to compare in game performance with chart/irl performance

3 Likes

ik, the way gaijin has stuff modeled it isn’t directly comparable - but still is a good indicator to look at when assessing the realism of in game FM’s when taking into account everything else

3 Likes

https://file.io/1Am6GNYOT70M
https://file.io/bsbxNIWbaT3A
https://file.io/WfitmiEQochY
@skilz2kil

2 Likes

All Mig-29s besides the Mig-29 SMT are technologically & physically incapable of using the HMD with any N019 Radars. The Su27 as well is incapable.

They cannot use HMD with radar whatsoever.

The N019 radar is a Cassegrain antenna like the dish below & was taken from the RP-23 Sapfir iof the Mig-23ML. They are not capable of directional beam control.

Basic Cassegrain Antenna.

Mig-23 RP-23 Sapfir

Mig-29 N019 Cassegrain antenna

Only Planar Array antennas are capable of radar HMD like the F-16C & Mig-29 SMT. Even the Mig-21 Bison has the radar capable.

HMD mode works by physically steering the antenna (just like how the antenna is steered side to side in search mode), not electronically steering the beam.

2 Likes

You actually have no idea what you are talking about. Or what a planar array does. We are not talk talking about PESA Or AESA radars lol.

The Antenna cannot point 170 degrees, nor can it narrow the beam. Its fake. It cannot move its reflector either!

Ok ask yourself this:

The MiG-29 can obviously move it’s radar beam side to side and up / down by some means (how is not important). Otherwise it would not be able to search for and track targets.

If the radar beam can be moved in a search pattern what stops those movements from being controlled by the pilot’s HMD?

Stop this nonsense.

its technologically impossible for a Cassegrain antenna to have directional beam control. That is not how HMD works, by hooking up a radar swivel control to your head.

They are not fast as the human head’s ability to turn or its full range nor are they capable of precise targeting.

It is a Cassegrain antenna of the same technology that sits on the roof of your neighbor’s home

Mig-29 & Su27 radars have one a specific scan zone. THAT is why they only have one static FOV search zone EVEN in war thunder.

This is not true. If the radar can move then it should be able to use HMD.
For example my country uses MiG-29 9.12B which had N019ME(Currently has some upgraded Belorussian radar) and officials always said it can use HMD to lock on targets. I’m pretty sure there are other sources stating the same thing.

If I’m not mistaken F4J has a radar that uses antenna yet it has HMD.

MiG 29s that have older radar probably only uses the HMDs for IR missiles

False. The radar has no ability to narrow precisely or move to the speed and flexibility of a human being’s head.

The radar dish is controlled by analog hydraulic control of the 1970s, what makes you think it can move any faster or slower at free will to a pilot’s head precisely?

The radar dishes that can provide precise directional beam control is Planar Arrays. Not the radar dishes found in the F-4E phantom.

Additionally, the OEPS-29 is strictly and OPTICAL**IRST** system. It has no ability to magically communicate & interface with a radar dish that cannot precisely direct its beam in the first place.

Not that ALSO channel that made up communication into that into the fire control for the R-27R.

It’s such a completely nonsensical grasping & bending over backwards to justify something so technologically incapable

You are absolutely correct 100%

The OEPS-29 & 27 are strictly for the IR weapons.

I said F4J

Meant to say J. The F4J is not using an IRST system to do it.

Neither is the F-16C or the Mig-29SMT.

The Mig-29 SMT & F-16C are using a Planar array antenna to provide precise immediate directional beam control that is integrated into the helmet.

The Mig-29 & Su27 actually cannot that is why their search pattern in completely fixed with no ability to widen its search “pattern.”

So why on earth would you think IRST HMS would have any effect to push the radar further???
That’s called a clue…

Only the Mig-29 SMT can as well as the Mig-21 Bison have the technological capability to have HMD radar support.

As for the Yak-141… its fake N010 with no modification type listed because it is completely made up that is why it has different search patterns & more range. It would be more believable if GJ gave it the N019M Topaz not a Zhuk. The Topaz got the increase to 80km targeting. The Zhuk is 100km as shown in the SMT.

GJ could not even name its fake IRST in the stat card because it would reveal that GJ went even further out of their way to give the Yak-141 an unfair advantage it never had.

The Mig-29 has its OEPS proudly displayed & The Yak-141 does not, just says IRST capable.
imageimage

That is why after the Yak-141 GJ intentionally stopped naming the OEPS for new aircraft to hide the fact that they have no ability to interface with these obsolete radars of Soviet origin.

It uses HMS not HMD.

Your’re right. but neither does the F-4J have an actual hud display other than a crosshair.

Both irrelevant details.

The fact remains that the SMT just like the F-16C legitimately use helmet mounted radar targeting because their radars are planar arrays. It’s an array of antennas for precise beam directional control.

Even you & @Flame2512 theory of simply pointing a radar makes no sense, not only from a technological specification, but on game mechanics as well if you take the time to examine closely.

The Su-27 & Mig-29s of the Soviet Era are technologically incapable of magically using their IRST to do it for them. The maximum search zone of the Mig29 N019 radar dish is 50 degrees & 10 degrees for ACM. The radar dish is incapable looking beyond as modelled in the game.

However, with the fake Radar HMD it can reach as far as 71 degrees & offer precise HMS targeting the dish can never do in real life.

The Mig-29 & Su-27 HMS radar capability is completely fake & made up. Its undeniable.

I am sorry, I am a true Soviet aviation history buff, Fulcrum & Flanker fan. I acknowledge their strengths & weaknesses.
These models are intentionally overpowered, but in the worst areas. GJ rather turn our beloved aircraft into hybrid NATO doctrine, radar focused aircraft & disregard their true flight performances & true strengths. Such as world’s best OEPS HMS passive detection/tracking & top-class agility & supermaneuverable capable without the need of thrust vectoring.

The Mig-29 still suffers in flight model (agility), because GJ rather make it into something it’s not. A freak NATO radar reliant plane with R-27ERs.

GJ does not even believe the Soviet 9-13 & 9-12 deserves the R-73… But is totally cool with a missile it never carried & guided by a Radar HMS it never had???

That’s how delusional GJ has been recently & how illegitimate the Mig-29 is.
Mikoyan is rolling in his grave.

1 Like

@Ziggy1989
Are you saying that the helmet can’t turn the radar dish?

1 Like

Yes and he is wrong.

His argument is “slow mechanical antenna” means 100% it’s not a thing. Another thing he made up. I wish there was a way to block users on the forum so I wouldn’t have to see it

2 Likes

you can mute or ignore him, go to his profile like this, for example:

1 Like