Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

I have active report on MiG-29 performance… we will see where it goes.

1 Like

I can imagine those against Russia saying “Ha! You deserve it!” even if it’s factually inaccurate.

Most don’t care about balance, just what is most convenient and biased towards the one nation they grinded.

9 Likes

Well asking Fm buff for F-16 was ok but making Mig29’s terrible is not.

Not just Migs seems like both Yak-141 and Mirage 2000 also got nerfed while F-16 buffed.

4 Likes

The weird thing is i struggle to comprehend how people enjoy it. There are people who prefer the SMT this way and feel more rewarded by the R-73 doing all the work for them instead of having a working plane and actually fight.

2 Likes

The new autopilot logic still has some issues to iron out.

It’s worth noting that DCS DOES NOT have accurate FM for most of their aircraft. The MiG-29 especially is not accurate at all.

2 Likes

While they are not %100 accurate and quality changes from the module maker to module maker. They tend to more accurate than their WT counterparts. MiG-29 got it’s flight model updated to AFM 2-3 years ago which is pretty close to IRL.

1 Like

The MiG-29 flight model we had in warthunder until the update was quite accurate actually. Sustained turn rates matched decently well the ones available on the charts.

1 Like

I was secretly hoping gaijin consider add Sapsan-E on MiG-29SMT (9-19) next quarter because it’s 3rd generation targeting pod, and improve CAS & ground attack in night battle

3 Likes

Currently it can pull 16G on a whim, I don’t think it’s accurate.

There’s no way that’s accurate, max Gs the F-16 is rated for is 9, 9 x 1.5 = 13.5

1 Like

Well, in DCS it can pull 16Gs on a whim.

Well in this case the vertical G forces rises to 16 because the aircraft has a very large angle to his velocity vector and is also decelerating fast (In simpler term here most of the 16Gs are from the deceleration you have when the plane is basically acting as an airbrake). I don’t know if the aircraft structure can resist 16Gs, but this is still different to actually pulling 16Gs when doing an actual turn (aka 16Gs that are only centripetal acceleration), which is what F-16s can do right now and is complete bs.

Stil not saying that DCS flight models are accurate… I don’t play it but seeing videos of Mirage 2000s (deltas) and F-14s (T/W ratio closer to 3rd gen than 4th gen fighters) outrating F-16s and MiG-29s is enough to show that their flight models are far from perfect

Could you post the link to the bug report? Because I couldn’t find it online and many people pressing “I have the same issue button” might help fixing it quickly

did you hit the cobra button? from my experience at maximum stick deflection it should pull 8Gs at best. Unless you ovveride the deflection limits of course.

MiG-29 has no “Cobra button”.

1 Like

It does, although it is not called Cobra button if you try turning off “Stick deflection limiter” and “Damper disable”. you will get what i mean.

1 Like

The current performance of the mig29smt is shameful, the mig29 9.13 is also kinda bad rn, the r73s are great but they seem to be easier to dodge with a few flares than the aim9m, you try to do some small maneuvers to get out of the way of the aim9m and you are already at 700km/h, it’s truly miserable to play with this plane, generally I do more duels than playing air rb but not even duels are possible because both planes are just bad rn :(

3 Likes

The limiter is overcome irl by pulling harder on the stick. Flight control system limitations irl do not stop cobra… just limit roll control to ailerons only for high alpha above 14°.

1 Like

they completely botched Fulcrums. Reminds me the days of MiG-23M. Giving it a week until they either fix or buff some other aspect of the aircraft.

3 Likes