Me 262 HG I

• Yes!
  • No!
0 voters
What engines should the HG I have?
  • Jumo 004B-1 (the engines used on the V9 prototype)
  • Jumo 004D (most likely what the (pre-)production-version would have used)
  • I voted no.
0 voters
Which tail-section would you like to see on the HG I?
  • The enlarged 40° tail (possible stability problems).
  • The standard Me 262 tail (increased drag).
  • I voted no.
0 voters

yb0fd2cc19h51

The Me 262 HG I (HG = “Hohe Geschwindigkeit” / “High-Speed”, also known as “Hochgeschwindigkeitsjäger” / “High-Speed Fighter”), was a one-off prototype meant to improve the overall performance of the base-model Me 262 A-1a. The plane was assembled from prototype V9, WNr. 130 004 and was modified extensively in October 1944. The HG I was equipped with an all-new canopy, now known as a “racing-canopy (Rennkabine)”, meant for reducing drag. The wing-roots were extended from the frontal base towards the nose-section, new horizontal tail-surfaces with a 40° sweep, as well as an enlarged rudder (extended to the end of the tail) were installed, and the aircraft-skin was smoothed to further decrease drag. Overall, drag was estimated to have been reduced by around 10-20%.

The plane started test flights on January 18th 1945, being flown by Karl Baur. After only five flights, Baur complained about the new tail having stability-issues, which resulted in the replacement of the prototype tail with a standard Me 262 tail-section. After another 20 test-flights in March 1945, the prototype is thought to have been destroyed by allied bombings of the Lechfeld Airbase.

The plane demonstrated improved speed, maneuverability and acceleration during it’s short test-phase, and is stated to have approached 965 kph in level flight at an altitude of 6.000m, but the design itself was thought to be capable of withstanding speeds of up to mach 0.83 (1017 kph).

If the plane would have ever reached the stage of pre-production, or even production, it is assumed that instead of the Jumo 004B-1, the higher performance Jumo 004D would have been installed, the same engine currently present on the Ho 229 V3 ingame.

Pictures / Illustrations

262hg1

yb0fd2cc19h51

p1

Model of the HG I

Specifications:
Crew: 1
Lenght: 10,6m
Wingspan: 12,65m
Height: 3,84m
Max-speed: 965kph at 6.000m (airframe thought to be able to withstand 1016kph)
Range: 1050km
Service-ceiling: 11450m
Engines: 2x Jumo 004B-1 “Orkan” (Jumo 004D planned)
Armament: 4x MK108 cannons (same ammo as standard Me 262 A-1a), possible mounting-options of R4M rockets, 250kg & 500kg bombs and drop-tanks (same fuselage as standard Me 262 A-1a allows same loadout options)

Thoughts:

I personally think the HG I would be a great end of the line Me 262 for Germany, representing probably the best 262 we can currently get ingame. As for the question of the engine and tail, this would have to be decided by the devs. I personally favour the Jumo 004D engine with the non-standard, enlarged tail-design, if enough data on it can be found, otherwise the Jumo 004Ds with the standard Me 262 tail would also still be quite a performance improvement over the Me 262 A-1a.

What are your thoughts on this unique plane? Let me know!

Sources

Me 262: Development, Testing, Production by Willy Radinger & Walter Schick
New Plane Proposal – Me 262 HG II - Passed for Consideration - War Thunder - Official Forum
Goering’s Big Bungle | Air & Space Forces Magazine
Me-262: Future in light of engine development | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums
Messerschmitt Me 262
Messerschmitt Me 262
Messerschmitt Me-262 HG I
https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWings/comments/iahmsq/a_photo_of_the_messerschmitt_me_262_hg_i_i_dont/
Messerschmitt Me 262
Messerschmitt Me 262 HG Variants | Secret Projects Forum
Me 262 HG I English
Messerschmitt Me 262 - Flugzeuge - Panzerfreund
Messerschmitt Me 262 – Wikipedia

12 Likes

i want this so bad… was it the HG I or the HG II that had the V-tail?

The HG II was designed with the V-tail, which was a design that was also tested on the Bf 109.

Pictures

If we believe that the HG II was built, which is contested, then we still don’t know if it was made with the V-tail or not, as no known pictures of a completed HG II prototype exist, and it could just as well have also been equipped with a standard Me 262 tail-section…

well i want this bf109 too now. whats it called?

Both HG1 and HG2 should be added. HG2 was build but destroyed bevor it could take to the skies iirc. But it was build and german ww2 jets aren’t in a good place and could use some more love like the HG series and planes like He280, He162 A8 etc.

3 Likes

I’d love to see the HG II ingame too, but without any real proof that it existed, or at least a document that states it was indeed built and what the specifications of the prototype were, my expectations are rather low. It’s good that some books mention it was indeed built, but I think because there are no known photographs, a document with the specifications as built would be needed, not secondary sources simply claiming it was built.

2 Likes

It’s the same case for the bf109 k14. Down the line gaijin will add it. I don’t think fantasy vehicles will be added like panther 2 or tiger 105, but vehicles with minimal sources will be added. Ostwind 2 was already such a case. There are enough planes which never had any armarment like the bv155 and these got added.

HG1 should be added without doubt. But I would like to see the hg2 aswell

A fantasy jet that was built and tested? That’s news to me! :P

4 Likes

Pls check your information the next time you speak yes HG2 and 3 neve got off the papers but the HG1 is real it got bullied and tested

1 Like

A very long time ago I saw a photo of the HG II (?) at the airfield, which was damaged, the plane, in turn, was thrown into a ditch, but I can hardly find the photo now

ds: Off topic, but if someone wants to make a suggestion topic, then here’s one option for you:

Spoiler

2 Likes

Giant skill issue not gonna lie

2 Likes

It’s similar to what I’ve read. I read a few years ago that the prototype was finished but it was destroyed before a test flight. There is no flight data but it was build

Yeah right it suddenly “disappeared” 80~ years later just when they needed some evidence in a war thunder thread you can store it with the other german myths, and call it a day, the HG-II was already in the very very early roadmap for german planes but gaijin never added it for an obvious reason, its fictional and im very glad gaijin is not adding these things i keep reading about the demands from german mains may it be the lowe or e100jpz or the E-series tanks this is all fantasy aswell.

For naval i remember gaijin said if it was laid down it has a possibility to be added, but im sure this is not the same with planes and tanks.

Definitely a +1
I didn’t even know this vehicle was real

1 Like

Any opportunity to get the HG series in the game is one I have to take! +1

1 Like

It has potential, maybe as an event plane. That said, I would prefer it be implemented in the form that actually flew.

is the picture you attached of the Me 262A-2A/U2?
i found this on wikipedia

Spoiler

• Me 262 A-2a/U2
    Two prototypes with glazed nose for accommodating a bombardier.[39]
    (Middle one)
    OR
    maybe the
  • Me 262 B-1a/U1
    Me 262 B-1a trainers converted into provisional night fighters, FuG 218 Neptun radar, with Hirschgeweih (eng:antler) eight-dipole antenna array.

Yes, a bomber variant, it also has weapons

the two protrusions look like antennas though due to their apparent lack of depth into the fuselage

It will look like the Ar 234 B-2 in terms of armament