Nah current F-4E is in a perfect spot rn. 12.0’s match your flight performance and only carry better missiles so you can easily perform in uptiers.
Cockpit being incorrect is already reported and passed to devs, all we can do is wait.
Nah current F-4E is in a perfect spot rn. 12.0’s match your flight performance and only carry better missiles so you can easily perform in uptiers.
Cockpit being incorrect is already reported and passed to devs, all we can do is wait.
Yeah I 100% agree it’s fantastic at 11.3. I’m just saying, if the matchmaker is biased to uptiers, why not add a slightly more modern E model? I’ve been doing research and as late as 1995 there are publications which confirm both the F-4E and F-4G could carry AIM-7F and 7M (1995 for E model, 1993 for G model.)
Not only that, but Pave Spike, Pave Tack, GBU-8, 10, 12, 15, and 24! And ECM pods, ALQ-131, 119, 184, and MK84, BLU-109 (2000lb unguided), GPU-5/A Gunpod on CL pylon, restrictions apply with Pave Tack loaded. Forward Sparrows are not to be loaded. Same with Pave Spike, where Rockets on the CL pylon cannot be mounted.
If the Kurnass gets the Kurnass 2000 upgrade, there’s a spot in the tech tree for an F-4E/L between the F-4E at 11.3 and the F-15A at 13.0. Lots of wiggle room there for BR and matchmaking.
I’m a huge Phantom lover, and I can 100% back up these points with sources. (some with direct page sources).
I read the “bug report” on the cockpit. They said it was correct for the year / block they planned to model in the existing F-4E (US).
Cheers,
-Joe
I think I misread your initial comment thinking you wanted a complete replacement to F-4E in the techtree. On the rest I fully agree.
The “new” accepted report regarding the cockpit:
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/HvpHtduO1zxh
Ah, I have not seen that one yet.
In a way, the Kurnass could actually have some of its elements swapped / copied over to the F-4E/L.
GBU-15, AIM-9L, Pave Spike (Tack is a US only thing iirc, also on F-111), Laser Guided Bombs, even datalink TV guidance taking some gameplay inspiration from the F/A-18’s Walleye ER/DL, which is similar in how GBU-15 guidance works. (Phantoms never got the Walleye ER/DL variant, only Walleye I and II (1000 and 2000lb))
AGM-65D 1 and 3 racks as well are available on F-4Es after 1986 iirc.
As for AGM-65G (Which the F-4F ICE has), the F-4E (to my knowledge) could not carry them officially, but I’m not sure how the weapon interface works with that, AFAIK, it’s an AGM-65D with a larger warhead.
20mm gunpods can be carried on at least the CL and maybe outer wing pylons.
GPU-5/A could be up to Gaijin if they ever tackle this idea, there’s no images of it, but the 1990 -34-1 allows carriage on the CL pylon only.
A thing that is a gameplay inaccuracy currently is carrying Sidewinders and TERs of Mk83s. This is not possible IRL, with any adapters or special mounts. (Except I don’t want this removed, that’s how I grind SL in the F-4E lol)
And please, Gaijin, give us the wing tanks for Sim battles!
Yup, its just the warhead that changes so you dont need extra integration with the platform.
So, Gaijin, when can we see this?
unfortunately probably never or at least 3+ years
because next US phantom is probably going to be F-4G when they add ECM, and then they wont want to add more US phantoms
So, if I’m understanding this right, it would basically be the F-4E but with PD radar and Aim-7Fs, but no HMD? In that case Aim-9Ms would be fine if it were to be 12.3.
no PD radar
Wow, that’s disappointing.
it would just end up being another cas aircraft, think the kurnass 2000 but for the US tree with sparrows
Did you not read this part?
At least it will use much more modern radar than we have in the game right now. It’s not essentially PD in mind, but it’s something else.
Been flying the early F-4E again tonight. Still fun, just wish we had the late version.
The thing is the version ingame IMO should be late
It already has most of the features of the late blocks ground armament wise, it just need the 7Ms, 9Ls, etc
I think they could remodel the current version and bring it to 12.0 (same as 4J because no PD) and then replace the function of the current F-4E with an F-4D
Well, it’s missing:
need I go on?
lol.
There’s a lot of stuff the F-4E is missing that makes it a late model. All of that stuff should be added to either the existing variant with the F-4F late cockpit (more accurate to the timeframe of weapons carried), or a new DMAS cockpit, specific to the late F-4E.
Either way, it’s probably a while out. And yes, if we get a late F-4E, we ought to get an F-4G with it, and an F-4D foldered with the F-4C at 11.0 or something.
Only the ICE has the 4E pit not even the regular ones

Whoopsies, my bad. I haven’t touched the German tech tree haha.
Anyways, yeah 11.0, for the F-4D? No internal cannon, worse radar than our current F-4E, less weapon variety, etc.
11.0 is J-7E and F-5E/NF-5A territory
Oh, I’m aware. It’s also F-4EJ ARB BR.