McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Jet Fighter / Interceptor / Fighter-Bomber

Reposting and revising from my original suggestion in old forums.

Greetings, I’d like to re-introduce and suggest the McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II, a second version of the F-4 entered in the United States Air Force service. To put it briefly, it is a modified F-4C with enhanced avionics and access to advanced missiles and countermeasures during its late service. It is known for scoring only five confirmed kills with AIM-4D Falcons.

Key Characteristics

• Modified F-4C with newer avionics
  • Second most produced variant in the F-4 Phantom II family
  • New AN/APQ-109 capable of guiding AGM-62 Walleyes and AGM-65 Mavericks with TV imagery
  • Access to new AIM-4D Falcon missiles
  • Capable of equipping newer missiles such as AIM-9J and AIM-7E-2
  • Capable of equipping countermeasures whereas the F-4C lacked it

History

Design and Development

The McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II is the second version of the F-4 to enter the United States Air Force service. The F-4D was designed to respond to USAF requirements to deliver air-to-ground weapons with high accuracy during the Vietnam War, whereas the F-4C lacked modern avionics for its ground-attack capabilities.

The F-4D shares the same engines and basic airframe as the F-4C; however, the primary difference is found in avionics. the F-4D’s newer avionics has improved air-to-ground and air-to-air capabilities.

An APQ-100 radar from the F-4C was replaced with a smaller and lighter AN/APQ-109 for the F-4D. The AN/APQ-109 can broadcast and guide the TV imagery weapons such as AGM-62 Walleyes.

An AJB-7 all-altitude bomb delivery system was installed, allowing the F-4D to use the ASQ-91 weapons release computer to deliver the laser-guided bombs more accurately. The F-4C’s fixed gun sight was replaced with an AN/ASG-22 leading computer to be installed in the F-4D, improving its air-to-air combat effectiveness.

Air-to-air combat experience and lessons during the Vietnam War had shown the need for an improved 20mm cannon pod to replace the flawed SUU-16/A, equipped by the F-4Cs; the F-4D was wired to acquire the upgraded SUU-23/A cannon pod. The F-4D’s ASG-22 leading computer gun sight allows it to aim with SUU-23/A pods at high accuracy.

During early production, the F-4Ds omitted its sidewinder capability on the inboard underwing pylon in favor of the Hughes AIM-4D Falcon infrared-homing missiles. The undernose pod for the AAA-4 infrared search and track was removed, only reverting in the late production.

A total of 825 F-4Ds was produced at the end of production, making it the second most produced F-4 variant.

United States Air Force Service

The first flight of the F-4D was completed in June-December 1965, only two years after the F-4C made its first flight in May-November 1963. The F-4Ds officially entered USAF service and replaced the F-4Cs during the spring of 1967. The F-4D was also the only variant that scored five confirmed kills with AIM-4 Falcon missiles, shot down four MiG-17s and one MiG-21.

Despite this, the AIM-4 Falcon was ineffective against high-maneuverable enemy fighter aircraft in dogfights. Thus, the weapon was very unpopular with pilots of the F-4D, and even Colonel Robin Olds, a commander in the F-4D, was highly critical of it. Following Olds’ criticism, the USAF eventually restored the Sidewinder capability on the F-4D’s inboard underwing pylons under the “Rivet Haste” program.

Nevertheless, the F-4D variant had historically scored 44.5 confirmed kills during the Vietnam War, beating the F-4C variant with 42 kills and the F-4E variant with 21 kills.

Known U.S. Air Force F-4D aerial combat kills

Aircraft Weaponry Aircraft Shot Down Squadron
F-4D AIM-4D 4 MiG-17s, 1 MiG-21 13th TFS, 435th TFS
F-4D AIM-7E 4 MiG-17s, 2 MiG-21s 433rd TFS, 435th TFS, 555th TFS
F-4D AIM-7E-2 18 MiG-21s, 3 MiG-19s 4th TFS, 13th TFS, 34th TFS, 523rd TFS, 555th TFS
F-4D AIM-9E 2 MiG-21s 13th TFS, 469th TFS
F-4D AIM-9J 2 MiG-21s, 1 MiG-19s 523rd TFS, 555th TFS

Air National Guard Service

After the Vietnam War, the F-4Ds were transferred into the inventory of the Air National Guard in the late 1970s and early 1980s. They remained in service as fighter interceptors for national defense purposes. They were ultimately retired from the service and replaced by ANG F-16A/Bs in the early 1990s.

Foreign Service

Iran placed an order for new F-4Ds for its air force in 1967. Only 32 F-4Ds were sold and delivered to the Imperial Iranian Air Force in Iran by the end of 1969. Today, a few of Iran’s F-4Ds remain in service; however, they are mostly grounded due to the lack of spare parts and are no longer serviceable due to the sanctions placed by the USA.

South Korea also expressed an interest in ordering 18 F-4Ds in 1968. At least 42 ex-USAF F-4Ds were sold and transferred to South Korea, and the last F-4D was delivered to South Korea in 1988. Afterward, the Republic of Korea Air Force F-4Ds were replaced by the Boeing F-15K “Slam Eagle.”

Specifications

2-side view of the F-4D

General Characteristics

• Crew: 2 (Pilot and Weapon Systems Officer)
  • Powerplant: 2x General Electric J79-GE-15
    → 10,900 lb thrust without AB, 17,000 lb thrust with AB (under sea level, static test conditions)
  • Operating Weight: 29,800 lb (13,517 kilograms)
  • Maximum Operating Weight: 51,800 lb (23,496 kilograms)
  • Length: 58 feet and 3 inches (17.76 meters)
  • Height: 16 feet and 5 inches (5.00 meters)
  • Wingspan, spread: 38 feet and 5 inches (11.71 meters)
  • Wingspan, folded: 27 feet and 7 inches (8.41 meters)
  • Wing Area: 530 square feet (49.24 square meters)

Performance

• Maximum Speed: 1,432 mph at 42,000 feet (Mach 2.17, 2,305 kph at 12,802 meters)
  • Sea Level Speed: 826 mph (Mach 1.08, 1,329 kph)
  • Cruising Speed: 587 mph (945 kph)
  • Combat Range: 1,844 miles with maximum external fuel (2,968 kilometers)
  • Service Ceiling: 55,850 feet (17,023 meters)
  • Initial Rate of Climb: 40,100 feet per minute (204 meters per second)

Weapons System

• Avionics:

• AN/APQ-109 (Radar Set)
    • AN/APA-157 or AN/APA-165 (Intercept Computer)
    • AN/ASG-22 (Optical Sight)
    • AN/ASQ-91 (Weapons Release Computer)
    • AN/ASN-63 (Inertial Navigation)
    • AN/AAN-46A (Navigation Computer)
    • AN/ALR-26 or AN/ALR-27 (Radar Warning Receiver)
    • AN/ALQ-109 (Jammer)
  • Gunpods:

• SUU-11/A (15x 7.62x51mm)
    • SUU-16/A (5x 20mm)
    • SUU-23/A (3x 20mm)
  • Air-to-Air Missiles:

• AIM-4D Falcon (4x)
    • AIM-7D Sparrow (4x)
    • AIM-7E Sparrow (4x)
    • AIM-7E-2 Sparrow (4x)
    • AIM-9B Sidewinder (4x)
    • AIM-9E Sidewinder (4x)
    • AIM-9J Sidewinder (4x)
  • Air-to-Ground Low-Drag Bombs:

• MK 81 (24x 250lbs)
    • MK 82 (24x 500lbs)
    • MK 83 (11x 1000lbs)
    • MK 84 (3x 2000lbs)
    • M117 (17x 750lbs)
    • M118 (1x 3000lbs)
  • Incendiary Bombs:

• BLU-1 (11x)
    • BLU-27 (4x)
  • Air-to-Ground High-Drag Bombs:

• MK 81 (24x 250lbs) Snakeye
    • MK 82 (24x 500lbs) Snakeye
  • Laser Guided Bombs:

• GBU-10C/B (2x)
  • Rockets:

• LAU-3/A (15x launchers)
    • LAU-10 (15x launchers)
    • LAU-32 (15x launchers)
  • Air-to-Ground Guided Missiles:

• AGM-12B Bullpup (4x)
    • AGM-12C Bullpup (2x)
    • AGM-45 Shrike (4x)
    • Guided Weapon Mk 1 Mod 0 (4x AGM-62A Walleye)
    • AGM-65B Maverick (6x)
  • Fuel Tanks:

• 370 Gal Wing Tank (2x)
    • 600 Gal Centerline Tank (1x)

Cockpit

AN/APQ-109 Radar

F-4Ds do acquire AIM-9Js and countermeasures

There are photographs of F-4Ds with AIM-9J missiles and countermeasure dispensers as proof that they had received them in ANG service. Below, you can see serial numbers on these F-4 Phantoms that belonged to the F-4D variant in the photographs.

Proof #1

Proof #2

136th Fighter Interceptor Squadron - McDonnell F-4D-29-MC Phantom 66-7491. Photo https://commons.wikimedia.org.

Proof #3

McDonnell F-4D-31-MC 66-7668 194-FIS 144-FIS California ANG Feb 198 -by Carrl E. Porter. Photo credited to www.thisdayinaviation.com.

F-4D livery

If F-4D Phantom II is to be made into War Thunder, it should have a list of unlock-able skins such as the SEA scheme, Colonel Robin Olds’ F-4D, several ANG schemes, the Iranian Air Force scheme, and the Republic of Korea Air Force scheme. Below are photographs as examples of diverse liveries.

SEA Scheme

Of the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing, RAF Woodbridge. This aircraft ended it's days at AMARC. Photo credited to https://commons.wikimedia.org.

Colonel Robin Olds' F-4D

European One Scheme

184th Tactical Fighter Group - McDonnell F-4D-31 MC Phantom 66-7735. Photo credited to https://commons.wikimedia.org.

Air National Guard (Light Gray) Scheme

1980 CA, MN, and ND ANG F-4D Phantoms. Photo credited to https://commons.wikimedia.org.

Two-Tone Gray Scheme

Iranian Air Force Scheme

Republic of Korea Air Force Scheme

Conclusion | Why it should be in the game

The McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II is another variant of the F-4 Phantom II that offers more modern avionics and weaponry over the F-4C. This F-4D variant would be a logical addition, and it could be foldered with the F-4C in the US aviation tech tree. The F-4D will enjoy many advantages over the F-4C as it can get flares and AIM-9J and AIM-7E-2 where the F-4C struggles with its lack of countermeasures and subpar missiles. I highly believe the F-4D deserves to be added to complete the Phantom family in War Thunder.

Sources

Primary

• T.O. 1F-4C-1 Flight Manual USAF Series F-4C, F-4D, and F-4E Aircraft (1 October 1970)
  • T.O. 1F-4C-34-1-1 Aircrew Weapons Delivery Manual (Non-Nuclear) USAF Series F-4C, F-4D, and F-4E Aircraft (15 March 1970)
  • F-4C - F-4D - F-4E Armament Systems (1 December 1967)

Secondary

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion! 😃

9 Likes

I 'd love to see this variant of the Phantom ingame but also the G '“Wild Weasel” !

2 Likes

too many f-4 version bruh… no more i need smth new not the same thing that make me should download more without enjoy it

Heck yes, +1. Put it into a folder so it doesn’t bother the top tier rushers and bam, another nice phantom.

2 Likes

I think the F-4C/D were later modified to carry AIM-9L and AIM-7F much later in life with the ANG

Along with later Sparrows and Sidewinders, the Phantom could theoretically get the XAIM-4H, since that was basically just an AIM-4D with proxy-fuse and better maneuverability (and it was intended to be fitted to aircraft that used the AIM-4D)

1 Like

Also, there are a few more F-4D skins we could potentially see:

1 Like

Nice find! I can confirm the aircraft in the photo is F-4D belonged to New York Air National Guard 136th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. Is there a better photo where we can see the AIM-7F mounted on the F-4D?

Do you know if it is possible for the F-4D to get the AIM-4G? I have come to a dead end in my research to find more advanced missiles for the F-4 in ANG service and verify it.

2 Likes

Also, we can get to see these skins! One with shark mouth decal and inscription, and other one with non-military scheme.

McDonnell F-4D-26-MC Phantom 65-0586

Here is one carrying an AGM-65B.
F-4D

1 Like

Frankly, I think you would enjoy it much more over a F-4C in 10.0 battles, but hey I suggested it to be foldered with F-4C, so it doesn’t impede your grind!

Of course, that is what my suggestion stands for. It just offers a better alternative to the F-4C, so you can be competitive against MiG-21MF/SMT with their already existing countermeasures. Otherwise, it can be also a squadron vehicle. I’ll let Gaijin to decide for that with consideration.

1 Like

uuhhhh great idea

I’d like to see a late 60s configuration with 9Es, 4Ds, and 7Es for 10.3, rather than essentially a second F-4E.

I’m not looking at the F-4D under the impression it would be TT. The F-4E is already there lol.

If anything, we’d be more likely to get a second, later F-4E in the tree foldered with the current F-4E (with a whole load of stuff), then the F-4D could be premium, even, squadron, whatever else it could fit as.

That image was just a ref for the 9L
I’m pretty sure most Phantoms that had 7E/7E-2 ended up getting 7F at some point, since the 7F was meant to be the main improvement over the E

1 Like

Looks like the perfect 10.7 gap filler honestly

1 Like

All for it, +1. Its an excellent 10.3 stop gap to fill the mediocrity of the F-4C. I would love to see this, along with another naval Phantom (F-4B) and an actual Vietnam war-spec F-4E (and give the current F-4E its late 1970’s ANG-service kit with more guided munitions and all-aspects)

4 Likes