M60A1 RISE

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Description: During Operation ITALCON IBIS 2 (the deployment of Italian troops during the Somali Civil War started in 1991), the Italian army decided to deploy an armored unit equipped with a total of 10 M60A1s from the Ariete division to support the Italian soldiers and light vehicles. In 1993, after various fights against the Somali rebels, the Italian army noticed that the main threat to be faced were the RPG rokets. And so the Italian army started to upgrade its vehicles with various kits of reactive protection armor, like, for example, the one seen on the Centauro Romor. But for the M60A1, the Italian army preferred to ask the American army, which had already performed an upgrade with ERA for their M60 in the RISE/passive project. At this time, the 10 Italian M60A1 were waiting in Italy for the final decision. The Italian army decided then to lease from the USA 10 already upgraded tanks that were put on reserve some years ago. The 10 M60A1 Rise arrived in the Italian city of Livorno in the same year and were later enbarked on an Italian transport ship used to transport supplies for the Italian troops in Somalia. The tanks were assigned to 9° Company Ghibli of the 132° Ariete armored brigade. In the Somali civil war, they didn’t see much action, but they were used multiple times alongside the Centauro ROMOR and Iveco Lince. After the end of the war, the tanks returned to the American Army, which later transferred them to another nearby armored unit. Sadly, it wasn’t possible to take any of these tanks to Italy as museum pieces, and the only thing that remains of them is some pictures taken by the crew.

Why it should be in game: It could givr to the Italian tt a new m60 that could go to the main line

Specifications

Riepilogo

Sources

Riepilogo

M60A1 RISE/Passive
105mm Gun Tank M60 - Tank Encyclopedia
Storia Militare Debriefing N16° “Il carro armato M60”

Pictures

Riepilogo

14 Likes

Oh my, oh my… +1
Hoping that the Snail will ad this or the standard M60

4 Likes

+1

Italy has a special place in history as being the only country that manufactured both Leopards and the M60, so I think this would be a great addition to the tree to show that special part of armoured history!

5 Likes

+1

1 Like

@Il_Signor_Regio does the RISE have the stabilization? Yes or no? Was it just the standard M60A1 that didn’t have a stabilizer?

They had stabilizers, it should be identical to Rise already represented in the US TT, though Gaijin can give it different shells and place at different br.
http://www.ferreamole.it/images/m60_era/m60_era.htm

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

+1 yes.

1 Like

Hell yeah, a TT italian M60?

I’ve always wanted the premium one, though it wasn’t really worth it to get imo.

1 Like

It’s better like the American one at BR 8.7 so you can add it to the 9.0 lineup.

The M60A1 is hands-down the best 8.0 MBT (maybe second to the TO-55), would highly recommend picking it up during a sale :)

1 Like

I prefer it vice versa be with worse shells at lower br though)

Eh, I’m already up at the OF-40 Mk.2

Yes yes yes we need more vehicles around 8.7 Big +1

2 Likes

Great addition +1

An important part of the history of Italian missions abroad.
The fact that Italy as of now only has one M60 (and a premium at that) is puzzling.

2 Likes