• Yes, as a squadron vehicle.
  • Yes, as a premium vehicle.
  • No
0 voters
What BR should this be in?
  • I said no.
0 voters

Prototype M24 ATM

This is a post war M24 that was equipped with 4 Type 64 MAT (the same one used on the Type 60 ATM). Only one prototype was built and tested.
Translation: ATM launchers are installed to the side of the turret of M24 light tank.
History:

Spoiler

The Type 64 MAT, also known as 64MAT and KAM-3, went into service in 1964 and was designed to be launched from Jeeps. However, in combat, a Jeep with no armor would not fare well against enemy tanks. Consequently, the Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) planned for an armored, dedicated anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) carrier.
The M24 Chaffee entered service with the JSDF in 1952 but was eventually replaced by the M41 Walker Bulldog in 1961. As the M24 tanks were gradually phased out, the JSDF’s Technical Research and Development Institute (TRDI) retained one M24 Chaffee as an experimental ATGM carrier.
Alongside the M24 ATM, the TRDI was also developing the SS-4 ATM, a prototype Type 60 SPRG equipped with two Type 64 missiles.

SS-4 ATM

Translation: In Showa 39 and 40 (1964-1965), a prototype was built using the SS4 hull and equipped with two MAT (ATGM). given that MATs are now mounted on jeeps, it may have been determined that such weapon did not need self-propelled capabilities. Additionally, the MAT was tested on M24 and Type 60.

The M24 were completely outdated in 1960s, but the 75mm are still sufficient for soft target and the armor was still able to stop machine gun fire. Unfortunately the project goes no where as the M24 with the added ATGM launcher was way too tall to hide behind cover and it making no sense to keep and maintained a vehicle that are being actively phrased out. The M24 ATM was later succeeded by the Type 60 ATM.
Unfortunately, there isn’t really much info on this vehicle but since both the M24 and the Type 64 MAT launcher and missile are already in game, i don’t really see why this can’t be added.

Specification:
Should be the same as the M24 in game aside from added weight and height from the ATGMs

Spoiler

Length: 5.56 m
Width: 3.0 m
Height: N/A but could be some where between 3.5-4 m
Weight: 18.4 Tons + 4x 15 Kg
Engine: Twin Cadillac Series 44T24 220 hp (160 kW) (164 kW) at 3,400 rpm (total)
Transmission: Hydramatic - 8 speeds forward, 4 reverse
Suspension: Torsion bar
Ground clearance: 0.46 m
Fuel capacity: 420 L
Armour: Same as the normal M24 in the JP tt
Max Speed on road: 56 km/h
Max Speed off road: 40 km/h
Range: 160 km on road
Turn radius: 14 m
Power to weight ratio: 16.1 hp/t
Ground clearance: 0.46 m

Armaments:

Spoiler

1x 75mm M6 (M72 AP, M48 HE, M61 APCBC)
4x Type 64 MAT (4)
It look like the hull machine gun have been stripped so the coaxial mg could be removed too, same for the smoke mortar. It is also unknown if the .50 Cal are still there due to the angle of the picture. More info needed.

In game:
This would be a nice alternative to the Type 60 ATM and hopefully goes in it place at 6.7 so that it can be moved down to 6.0 or 6.3. This shouldn’t be any higher than 6.7 to be in line with the AMX-13. SS.11.
Sources:

Spoiler

Sadly there isn’t really much info on this vehicle.
Old forum post
Proposed Japanese Tech Tree Additions and Improvements - Page 3 - General & Upcoming - War Thunder - Official Forum
Reddit
M24 Chaffee - Wikipedia
Type 64 MAT - Wikipedia

7 Likes

seeing how bad the missiles are i think even 6.0 is too high, i’d say it should be around 5.0/3

4 Likes

Honestly doubt they would ever make this less than 6.0-6.3 seeing how the current type 60 ATM is at 6.7 due to it just having atgm. ppls would complain the crap out of gaijin if they saw atgm in their 75mm sherman or pz4 after all.

5 Likes

But those missiles are so bad lmao 50m/s what is this

*85 but yea it still bad af

This is a straight upgrade to the Type 60 ATM which is currently 6.7. Zero possibility Gaijin would give it a sub-6.0 BR.

4 Likes

this would make a great meme tank
+1

+1

What the hell and ugly thing is that ? A M24 with ATM ? I need this curse tank in my collection !

1 Like

+1, good replacement for the Bulldog at 6.3.