M1A2 SEPv2: The Army’s Workhorse

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

220px-Flag_of_the_United_States_svg.png. M1A2 SEPv2: The Army’s Workhorse

20190612_17.jpg

M1A2 SEPv2 in CARC camouflage and equipped with a CROWS II Remote Weapon System.

• Description :

• The M1A2 SEPv2 is the standard main battle tank used exclusively by the United States Army. First seen in 2006, the M1A2 SEPv2 saw significant use during Operation Iraqi Freedom in both rural and urban environments producing incredible results. This was attributed to the tank’s 3rd Generation Depleted Uranium Armor inserts within the Hull and Turret. The tank had high survivability in urban areas especially after being equipped with the TUSK I/II armor packages. The CROWS II Remote Weapon Systems with the SEPv2 upgrade is standard. These packages allowed for protection against RPG equipped insurgents as well as crew protection, mainly the Commander and Loader against small arms fire. Not all equipment from the TUSK packages have to be equipped at the same time due to mission requirements. This leaves variations between several M1A2 SEPv2 tanks. The M1A2 SEPv2 can also be equipped with an additional 12.7mm M2HB located on the main gun for counter sniper fire for a total of 4 machine guns. One of the main features that separates this tank versus other Abram variants is the COE Digital Open Architecture/Operating System. This is the first time the Abrams received a digital operating system allowing it to continue to receive upgrades without a complete refit. This can be seen with the implementation of the Israeli APS mounted on an M1A2 SEPv2 in 2018. The M1A2 SEPv2 continues to be deployed worldwide with units stationed across Europe and Asia participating in combat or in multiple allied exercises such as the 2015 Combined Resolve V exercise in Germany. The M1A2 SEPv2 is a battle-proven main battle tank and is noted to be one of the worlds most technologically advanced and survivable main battle tanks in the world. Current estimates have ~1,600 M1A2 SEPv2’s available for the U.S. Army.
    • Some upgrades/additions the M1A2 SEPv2 has over the base model M1A2:
      • 3rd Generation Depleted Uranium Armor Inserts
      • Digitized Fire Control System
      • COE Digital Open Architecture
      • 2nd Generation Thermals/Block I FLIR for Gunner and Commander
        • Hunter Killer Capability
      • Reinforced Allison DDA X-1100-3C Transmission
      • M829A3 APFSDS Rounds
      • M1028 Cannister Rounds
      • Under Armor Auxiliary Power Unit (UAAPU)
      • Thermal Management System (TMS)
      • Turret and Hull addon Armor
      • TUSK I Armor Package
    • Upgrades/additions over the M1A2 SEP:
      • M153 CROWS I/II Remote Weapon System
      • Next Generation Digital Processors
      • New Digital Touch Panels
      • New Operating System
      • Infantry Phone
      • TUSK II Armor Package
    • Late upgrades/additions (Read Disclaimer):
      • Trophy System APS
      • AN/VVR-4 Laser Warning System
  • Armament:

• Main Weapon: 120 mm M256 L/44 Smoothbore Gun (w/ 42rds)
      • Rounds:
        • M829A3 APFSDS-T
        • M830 HEAT-T
        • M830A1 HEAT-MP-T
        • M908 HE-ORT
        • M1028 Cannister
      • Depression/Elevation: -10°/20°
    • Additional Weapons:
      • Coaxial 7.62mm M240C Medium Machine Gun
      • 12.7mm M2HB CROWS I/II Remotely Operated Weapon Station Replacement
      • 7.62mm M240C Medium Machine Gun
  • Maneuverability:

• Engine: 1,500hp Honeywell AGT1500C Gas Turbine Engine
    • Transmission: Allison DDA X-1100-3C (4-forward, 2-reverse)
    • Chassis: High-hardness-steel Torsion Bars w/ Rotary Shock Absorbers
    • Max Speed: 67km/h
  • Dimensions:

• Length: 7.93m (9.77m w/ Gun Forward)
    • Width: 3.7m
    • Height: 2.4m
    • Weight: 62.8t (68.3t w/ TUSK) [Updated due to @Jackvony]
  • Crew (4x):

• Commander
    • Driver
    • Gunner
    • Loader
  • Features:

• 3rd Generation Depleted Uranium Armor inserts in the Hull and Turret
      • Capable of stopping most Kinetic Energy rounds currently in-game. Mainly in the Turret Cheeks.
    • Optional Tusk I/II Package (options are not applied to all vehicles, variations in levels of TUSK equipment may occur due to mission requirements):
      • Tusk I:
        • M-19 Abrams Reactive Armor Tiles (ARAT)
          • Covers the hull sides in Reactive armor tiles that provides a minimum of 260mm protection against HEAT rounds.
        • Remote Controlled M2HB
          • Additional 12.7mm M2HB placed over the main gun for a total of 4 Machine Guns (2x 12.7mm Machine Guns & 2 7.62mm Machine Guns).
        • Loader’s Armored Gun Shield
          • Protection shield around the M240C to protect the loader against small arms fire.
        • Engine Compartment SLAT Armor
          • Covers the engine compartment to protect against HEAT rounds and explosives.
      • Tusk II:
        • M-32 Abrams Reactive Armor Tiles (ARAT)
          • Covers the hull and turret sides in Reactive armor tiles that provides a minimum of 260mm protection against HEAT rounds.
          • Reactive armor tiles have additional shield/plate to provide protection against up to 14.5mm rounds.
        • Remote Controlled M2HB
          • Additional 12.7mm M2HB placed over the main gun for a total of 4 Machine Guns (2x 12.7mm Machine Guns & 2 7.62mm Machine Guns).
        • Commander’s Armored Gun Shield
          • Protection shield around the 12.7mm M2HB allowing the Commander additional protection from the sides from small arms fire.
          • Unnecessary if equipped with CROWS II Remote Weapon Station.
        • Loader’s Armored Gun Shield
          • Protection shield around the M240C to protect the loader against small arms fire.
        • Engine Compartment SLAT Armor
          • Covers the engine compartment to protect against HEAT rounds and explosives.
        • IED Armor Plating
          • V-shaped armor plating to protect the underbody of the M1A2 SEPv2 main battle tank against IED’s.
    • Optics (Block I FLIR for Commander and Gunner):
      • Gunner: Raytheon Gunner’s Primary Sight- Line of Sight (GPS-LOS) (2nd Generation Thermal Imager)
      • Commander: Raytheon Commander’s Independent Thermal Viewer (2nd Generation Thermal Imager)
      • Driver: AN/VVS-2(V)2A Night Vision Periscope (Standard Night Vision Device)
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • M153 CROWS I/II Remote Weapon System
    • 12x Smoke Grenade Launchers
    • ESS
    • Dozer Blade
  • Reason for Implementation:

• The M1A2 SEPv2 (w/ optional TUSK I/II) will provide the U.S. with a highly competitive top tier tank, capable of countering the T-80BVM and other top tier tanks currently in-game. This would also bring the United States out of the Cold War era, providing the U.S. tree with a vehicle currently in service. The addition of this vehicle would also be the first top tier U.S. tank that utilizes ERA protection as well as 2nd generation thermal imagers which are in desperate need at 11.0+. I’m not going to discuss the rounds as much due to the rounds being a balancing feature with the M829A3 not coming to the game anytime soon, however the M829A3 IS the primary round of the M1A2 SEPv2 with a reported penetration of over 700mm of RHA. This vehicle should not be added as a modification, but rather as a separate vehicle. This vehicle, or the M1A2 SEP should be the next in line to be added to the game as the U.S. is in desperate need of a top tier tank capable of having 2nd generation thermal imagers.
  • Disclaimer:

• Since this tank model has been in service for 15 years, there have been multiple upgrades released for it. Some have been standard around the time the vehicle went into service in 2006, others have been tested or are currently in testing such as the Israeli Trophy System APS and AN/VVR-4 Laser Warning System. For this suggestion, even though it can be equipped with it, I will not be including the Trophy APS, M829A4, or the AN/VVR-4 as that has more of a future with the M1A2 SEPv3/4 variants. It’s up to Gaijin for what systems it wants to integrate. Both the M1A2 SEP and M1A2 SEPv2 can fire the M829A4 APFSDS round. The M1A2 SEPv3/4 would be better to integrate these new technologies. I will still provide the imagery for them since it is still the M1A2 SEPv2. The M1A2 SEP and the M1A2 SEPv2 have little differences between them other than a few digital/fire control upgrades and the remote weapon system capability. This is not including the Trophy APS and LWS. I kept them separate vehicles due to the fact the M1A2 SEPv2 has a lot more upgrades and opportunity than the base M1A2 SEP.
  • Imagery/Videos:

Spoiler

h5fq8v8gclb71.jpg

Front Quarter view of the M1A2 SEP main battle tank. Note extra armor on the cheeks.

m1a2-sepv2-abrams-main-battle-tank-KH9RY

Side view of the M1A2 SEPv2 equipped with camouflage netting.

M1A2-Abrams.jpg

Side view of the M1A2 SEPv2.

151119-A-BS310-022.JPG

Rear of the M1A2 SEPv2.

USMC-090205-M-4049R-004.jpg

Closeup of the CROWS II Remote Weapon System.

https://youtu.be/LjMq7_l55iQ

Video of M1A2 SEPv2 TUSK II ERA Installation.

https://youtu.be/ldjj9sisaWs

Video of M1A2 SEPv2 crew conducting field training.

https://youtu.be/lw91Slc1K0E

M1A2 SEPv2 conducting live fire exercises.

TUSK_00.jpg

Some of the M1A2 SEPv2 TUSK I equipment.

Abrams(rear)_en.jpg

Rear slat armor of the TUSK package (this image was increased in scale).

h1.jpg

M1A2 SEPv2 equipped with the TUSK II package.

m1a2-tusk2.gif

Artists illustration of the TUSK II package.

M829A3.thumb.png.cbdd499456294d5e9e34838

M829A3 APFSDS-T specifications. Updated due to @Jackvony.

GdCNon4.png.48778cba2aaf2deeaac204f2e3e3

Estimated penetration of the M829A3 APFSDS-T round. Updated due to @Jackvony.

Note: Videos & Imagery below are for upgrades/ammunition of the M1A2 SEPv2 that are still in testing or been in service for a short amount of time.

Optional Laser Warning System AN/VVR-4 in works. Testing was conducted during AEWE 2018. Read Disclaimer!

ADT-0418-p6_fig2.jpg

AN/VVR-4, tested in 2018 on different Abrams variants (SEPv2 & SEPv3). Read Disclaimer!

M829A4.thumb.png.0e0d1cb15dffa3e286ae392

M829A4 APFSDS-T round specifications. Updated due to @Jackvony.

hqdefault.jpg

AN/VVR-4 Laser Warning System with 15rd Obscure Grenade Launcher System (total of 30rds). Read Disclaimer!

US_soldiers_at_Fort_Bliss_tested_Trophy_

M1A2 SEPv2 equipped with Trophy APS. Read Disclaimer!

3 Likes

I like all the extra guns! +1 moar dakka!

1 Like

+1, It’s just a matter of time

1 Like

CROWS was never standard, though most have been upgraded now to CROWS-LP. SEP upgrades came without the earlier CROWS at some point.

SEPV2 has been upgraded with components of the SEPV3 including CROWS-LP, improved turret drives, trophy APS, etc.

The transmission does not have 8 forward gears and 4 reverse, that’s war thunder. In real life it only has 4 forward gears and 2 reverse.

1 Like

+1 would love to see this with improved LFP armor

3 Likes

Come on Gaijin,pass it!✊🏻

2 Likes

Not sure why this hasn’t been passed to the devs, this is almost the exact same tank (with regards to passive armor, thermal sights, ammunition) as the M1A2 SEPv1, just with a CROWS mount and TUSK II ERA. @Smin1080p could we get this passed this coming month?

2 Likes

This wouldnt happen. it would make a joke of the T-80BVM once the T-80BVMs UFP composite gets corrected. Its UFP is overperforming by over 100mm LOS in game underneath the relikt and Im about 100% sure m829A3 can meme it from probably insane combat ranges. Not mentioning the fact that all of the abrams tanks are missing their like 250mm thick gun trunnions. and the Hull fronts would resist something fierce, and turrets everything but impenetrable.

OK so… it’s not a problem when the T-80BVM can left-click on almost any other top tier tank, but it’s a problem when one enemy tank can left-click the T-80BVM?

5 Likes

Apparently. Im writing a probably gonna be 50 page report on the corrections of 11 tanks that are overperforming. Lots of sources lots of math

1 Like

SEP2 has more hull & turret armor, and a notable amount of other differences.

I would first like to object by saying that no source I’ve ever consulted has mentioned an increase in armor for the SEPv2, in fact, if there were any armor upgrades after the M1A2 (base model) they were on the M1A2 SEPv1 and SEPv3.

However Gaijin has opted not to model any armor increases for the Abrams after the M1A1 HC, so it doesn’t matter, it’d be a copy-paste M1A2 SEPv1.

1 Like

SEPV1 had “mid-life” armor upgrades which we don’t have in War Thunder.
Which means the mid-life armor SEP V1 got IRL would come to SEP2 for War Thunder’s SEP2.

seems awful convenient that they didnt bother to model those armor differences then

It is actually. theres quite a bit of reports that have been submitted along with alot of things ive seen around oldforum telling us about this Midlife m1a2 hull DU upgrade. All of which have been denied.

So, what you’re saying is, Gaijin would model the M1A2 SEPv2 as though it had the same armor as the M1A2 SEP? It’s not a problem then?

Because an armor upgrade would make Abrams more powerful, as its armor is already rather good among its peers.

@Richardguy
No, SEP2 would have its correct armor modeled, as that’s the standard.
Otherwise USA would be inferior to Germany, Italy, Soviets, etc stuck with an 11.7 when everyone else has more armored & superior 12.0s.

Because its the best tank in the world lmao. And people arguing that the New Russian stuff holds a candle to it is a meme. When Russian stuff were serious contenders was when the T-72A came out before XM-1. They cant even run their newest dart in any of their tanks they are servicing. because the width of the hull is too small for the dart. And they cant produce any tanks of a serious number with the modifications necessary to make any force presentable to stand up to the best nato stuff there is.

Heavy Brigade Combat Team (HBCT) Gunnery
September 2009

1 Like

they are going to completly ignore it because everything is working as intended =)