• Other
  • I said no

0 voters

M1991 Chuch’e-Po (D-74)

Flag-North-Korea

M1991 2

Unknown official name

Brief History
North Korea has a surprisingly long history of tank and AFV production, with some of their most recent developments being very interesting. During the Korean War, and for a couple decades after, North Korea relied on Soviet hand-me-downs, namely T-34s and their derivatives, T-55s, etc. However, in the 70s, the DPRK started development of their first MBTs based on their copy of the T-62 (Ch’ŏnma), which have continually been upgraded to this day.They haven’t just built MBTs, however. They have a number of other AFVs, such as SPGs and tank destroyers (conventional and ATGMs).

The Chuch’e-Po (Chuch’e meaning ‘self-reliance’; also romanized as Juche) chassis was developed sometime in the 90s to replace the older Tŏkch’ŏn SPG series. This has formed the basis for a number of SPGs, of which this is the first variant. M1991 is the designation given by the US DoD, although M1992 also appears to be used interchangeably.

Characteristics
The Chuch’e-Po chassis is derived from the later Ch’ŏnma MBT variants, specifically the Ch’ŏnma-215 onwards, as evidenced by the 6 roadwheels, instead of the 5 of the T-62/early Ch’ŏnma’s. Everything else about the hull is new however, although it does bear some visual similarities to the Soviet 2S3 Akatsiya.

There are supposedly around 4 variants of the Chuch’e-Po, all with different armaments – one with the D-74 122mm, one with the D-30 122mm, and two with 152mm cannons. I’m unsure of the accuracy of this claim however, some other sources claim they are indigenous 122mm guns, especially as images don’t line up perfectly (and I haven’t seen any good sources talking about the 152mm versions). The original version I’m suggesting here mounts one of the 122mm cannons, which some sources state is a D-74. I believe this is the case, and I don’t think it has been modified, unlike some of the later variants.

The standard D-74 has a variety of shells, with HE, smoke and even APHE. The gun fires at roughly 885m/s, over 200m/s faster than the D-30 mounted on other Chuch’e-Po variants.

The vehicle has a closed turret, a first for North Korean SPGs. Compared to the later versions, this version is very simplistic. It lacks:

• Igla
  • Grenade launchers (copy of Soviet AGS-17)
  • Smoke launchers on turret

Making the tank look a lot ‘smoother’ compared to the later, more kitted out variants. In at least 1 parade it was seen with track armour on the turret cheeks.

Conclusion
This vehicle would be a great indigenous mid-tier SPG for a North Korean sub-tree. I propose it goes at roughly BR 6.0, as it has a 122mm like the 2S1, without HEAT-FS but with APHE and a higher velocity cannon.

Specifications
Armament

• 122mm D-74
    • HE
    • APHE
    • Smoke

Armour

• Hull
    • Front
      • Unknown, likely roughly 7-20mm
    • Sides
    • Rear
  • Turret
    • Front
    • Sides
    • Rear

Mobility

• Speed
    • ~50km/h
  • Weight
    • Unknown
  • Engine power
    • Unknown

Images

Spoiler

M1991
m1992
D-KPQ9KUcAA_ADP
D-KPOUEVAAAGGmM

Sources

Spoiler

朝鲜的轻中型防空武器汇总 自行火炮、自行火箭炮、自行反坦克导弹发射车底盘篇 - 知乎
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (Modern) - Tank Encyclopedia
M1992 130-mm Self-Propelled Gun | MilitaryToday.com
General artillery, SPGs, MLRS and long range ATGMs thread. - Page 31 - Mechanized Warfare - Sturgeon's House

1 Like

How was this suggestion even approved? We literally don’t have most of the specifications on this vehicle.

A lot of it can be reasonably guessed based on other similar vehicles. Besides, this is now the case for a lot of top-tier MBTs. Armour values are almost all speculation – good speculation, yes, but speculation nonetheless. I’m sure if you spent some time with dimensions, weight of each known component, etc. you could reasonably guess the weight of the vehicle as well.

or convince Kim to reveal more info : ) Fair points tho

1 Like