M1167 HMMWV

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

The HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle) or the most common known name is Humvee, designed and built by AM General. The Humvee is a utility vehicle that was designed to replace three vehicles being: M151 quarter-ton jeeps, M561 Gama Goats, and the CUCV. The first Humvee that entered service with the TOW (Tube launched, Optically tracked, Wire command link guided) system was given the identification M966 HMMWV and has changed over the years of service with upgraded or improved models being given different types of identifications with the most modern TOW Humvee being the M1167 HMMWV from the M1100 series of HMMWVs. The Humvee itself was first introduced by the US military in 1984 and was first deployed to combat in 1989 during Operation Just Cause the Invasion of Panama, then proceeding to see combat later during the Gulf War along with conflicts in Somalia, the Balkans, Syria, and countries in the middle east. The Humvee went through several modifications while being deployed in other countries with slight engine and transmission upgrades, armor and survivability for crew along with a whole system upgrade with modern Humvees being deployed with a remote operated turret with the use of modern thermals and night vision optics. The Humvee has the ability to mount different weapon systems ranging from Light Machine Guns (LMGs), Heavy Machine Guns (HMGs), Grenade Machine Guns (GMGs), GAU-19A/B gatling gun, M134 Minigun, and BGM-71 TOW (Tube launched, Optically tracked, Wire command link guided) system or TOW for short. Along with being fitted with offensive combat it was also given defensive abilities with rendering aid to with engineering and ambulance fitted Humvees.
Some of the different weapons and types of upgrades fitted to Humvee, are the M249 in several variants, the M240 in several variants, the M60 light machine gun, the M2HB browning high powered machine gun, the DSHK Russian heavy machine gun, the 40 millimeter belt fed grenade machine gun, and the BGM-71 TOW system. The armor itself has gone through upgrades from canvas roofs and just steal doors being known as soft tops, to Humvees then being equipped with light armored roofs and doors with semi bullet resistant glass the gunner also had a metal shield around vehicle mounted weapon system and some having armor fully encasing the gunner itself being known as light skinned Humvees, with the final variants being equipped with bullet resistant armor and windows up to LMG and the gunner having bullet resistant armor and glass surrounding him and the vehicle mounted weapon system then being referred up armored Humvees. The engine in the Humvee was originally a 6.2L V8 diesel or a 6.5L V8 non-turbo diesel engine that was later upgraded to a 6.5L turbocharged diesel engine. The transmission was upgraded from 3-speed automatic to a 4-speed automatic.
The specific Humvee I will be speaking about is the M1167 and the armament that comes equipped with being that of the BGM-71 TOW system. The M1167 being the most recent TOW Humvee equipped with the most modern armor package utilizing upgraded armor and bullet resistant glass. The TOW ordinally could be manually detached off the Humvee when emptied and placed onto a TOW tripod that is usually stored in the vehicle itself. During the late 1950s the US army’s Research and Development along with Ballistic Research Laboratories (BRL) worked on anti-tank missile programs that later led to the tube-launched, optically tracked, and wire-guided system or as it was later shortened to and taken into production with being TOW. The TOW system replaced the US Army’s m40 recoilless rifle and the French ENTAC missiles they had purchased.
I believe the M1167 Humvee will make a good asset to the US tech tree, due to the US tech tree not having as many in-tree ATGM vehicles as some of the other countries’ own tech trees. It would also be a good scouting vehicle due to its ability to be more mobile and chassis being smaller than the majority of the vehicles in the game. I also think the M1167 with the TOW would be a good vehicle to put around the battle rating of 8.7 or 9.0 due to it being the same type of TOW system as the Weasel 1A2.

Specs:

Armament

• BGM-71 TOW
    • Traverse: 360°
    • Elevation: 20°
    • Depression: 10° (not sure if 10 or -10)
    • Ammo: 6 in stowage + 1 in launcher (assumed total of 7)
    • 152mm missile
    • Missiles: TOW 2A, TOW 2B, TOW Bunker Buster (BB)

Vehicle Specs

• 6.5 liter V-8 General Motors diesel engine turbo
  • Speed: 70 mph (113 kph)
  • Horsepower: 3,400 RPM
  • Four-speed GM automatic transmission

Crew - four

• Driver
  • Commander
  • Loader
  • Gunner

Pictures:

eyJwaG90b0lkIjo0NTEsIm5hbWUiOiJwaG90b1wvbWF4ODAwXC9vdGhlclwvMDAwMDBcLzAwMDAwNDUxIn0

Sources:

10 Likes

YouTube video of the US paratroopers training with the M1167 that I posted above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzIkfxFjQc&t=51s&ab_channel=AiirSourceMilitary

+1

1 Like

Give this thing TOW-2A and TOW-2B and watch the world burn…+1

1 Like

pretty cool. Definitely not my first pick in terms of US TOW carriers (M1134, LAV-AT/AT1/ATM) but still a very cool addition conveniently with a bit lower performance for a lower BR, I’d say 9.0.

10 degree depression is definitely 10 degrees below horizontal btw

4 Likes

+1 From me.

Also they should add the LOSAT version which could go in 10.0 or something.

7 Likes

the LOSAT is already finnicky, a fixed mount would suck lol

Well it would be on a faster chassis, but still would be cool to see.

+1 alongside earlier versions with worse missiles and protection to allow for lower BRs. There’s also TOW Humvees fitted with OPFOR cosmetic equipment that would make for good premium or squadron vehicles.

2 Likes

I just thought it would be a good option do to mobility and firepower, along with it being the one currently in use, it will most likely have modern night vision equipment and thermals built into the TOWs optics itself.

I’m curious on what a bunker buster would do to a tank myself.

The Humvees I was finding was dressed up as BRDMs, which I found to be a little silly personally, in a sense of it gave me a chuckle.

6 Likes

It wouldn’t be so bad if the missiles guided correctly. Irl footage shows them acting more like Hellfire’s than like what we currently see in game (Arcing shot based on laser end-point)

I pray one day Gaijin decides to fix them

I would say if you wanna see it in the game take your time and make a suggestion if you want to.

But it is laser-riding? Isn’t it? Irl it maybe uses auto loft to avoid hitting the ground(Russian tank cannon missile uses auto loft), but in game, auto loft is not that useful, and can be done manually if needed.

1 Like

+1 this would be hilarious to play. A GAU-19 and Mk47-armed Humvees at lower BRs would also be really cool.

2 Likes

America’s Weisel.

1 Like

Every country needs an atgm truck.

2 Likes