M113 ETS

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Overview

Hey guys. In this Suggestion article i will try to convince you why the ETS. ( Elevated Tow System ) would be a cool addition to War Thunder due to gameplay and the interesting history off the program.
I will mainly focus on the M113 variant. However i will make brief shoutouts to the other vehicle hull variants that can be considered canon to the M113 that also used the turrets in test trails since the other vehicles was also tested with the different turrets from the ETS program!
I will also only go into the specification off the Danish M113 since that is the hull the ATGM turrets usually was installed on and wish to see ingame.

History

The Elevated Tow System program was created by the company Falck-Schmidt A/S in cooperation with Raytheon, GM Delco Defense Systems and Indra EWS S.A as an ATGM missile carrier able to fire from a complete hull down position thanks to its elevating turret.
In 1998 the Danish army started to test the early platforms on the M113 APC, and determined that the tests of the platform was a success. It had the ability to fire the ATGM in Rapid succession with its 4 or 2 tube Tow launchers and further test on other vehicle platforms was also going to be tested.

Falck-Schmidt Defense Systems was mainly focusing on creating the elevation systems which in the different variants worked like a crane that was elevating the turret upwards or downwards. It wasn’t just meant to just be a weapons station. It was also meant for radars, scouting and other military applications!
Foreign companies was helping to provide the different TOW,s and targeting Sights for the turret system.
through out the programs lifetime other hulls other than the M113 such as the Piranha, the LAV and other similar hulls was also tested since the Danish military was at the time trying to find a replacement for the aging M113s since they have been used since the 1960s.

However everything wasn’t going as well as intended. Falck-Schmidt A/S was having Financial issues and by 2017 the company filed for bankruptcy. Future company sales was moved to other companies like Hydrema.
What else happened to the ETS program became a mystery.

Description

The vehicle is multi chassis and uses an elevated TOW-2A or TOW-2B ATGM with 4 or 2 tube launchers to destroy targets from a hull down position.
The elevator is known to lift the ATGM up to 6.5 meters above ground level can fire all ATGM at once and can reload them in under 60 seconds
the vehicle hull is usally the M113. However the launcher can also be installed to the Warrior, Piranha, Stryker and other similar platforms.
The M113 variant is know to have protective side skirts and holds at least 16 TOW,s in the ammo rack for reload.
The elevator is fully stabilized and turns 360 degrees. The crew of the Vehicle is Driver, Gunner and Commander.
Though be noted that the M1134 Stryker variant of the 2 tube Turret only elevates 0.5 up from the hull unlike the original 4x and 2x TOW tube launcher.

Protection Specifications off the Danish M113

The Danish variant both with or without the turrets from the ETS program is mostly a basic M113.
It has the same 38mm thick frontal plate in the front added with the extra aluminum alloy.
There is the possibility to add smoke launchers to the front side of the M113 however there is no documentations found of that was going to be the case with the TOW launcher installed.

Other M113 Specifications

The Danish M113,s engine is the V8-cylinder Chrysler petrol/diesel engine.
Its Horsepower is 209 at 4000 rpm and 210 at 2800 rpm.
Its transmission is the 6 speed Allison TX 200-2A and 3-speedAllison TX 100-1.
It has a 2-speed Transfer case.
It has mechanical brakes.
It can run at speed of 65 to 70 km/h.
Crew 3 Driver, Gunner and Comander.

Endnote

Well i hope you like my suggestion if there is any way i can improve this article please let me know since it is the first time i make such a big post :)

Sources

FALCK-SCHMIDT Systems – Your unique partner in elevated superiority ( main source )

Trials and testing - Danish Army Vehicles Homepage ( main source )

Elevated TOW system trials - Danish Army Vehicles Homepage ( main source )

M113 Family - Danish Army Vehicles Homepage ( main source )

http://usa.um.dk/en/news/newsdisplaypage/?newsid=5d66f56d-36ec-4696-a8e6-f426c9dc0e72 ( Danish Ministry of Forign Affairs article on the Falck-Schmidt A/S Default )

PIRANHA 5 fakta ( article in “danish only” )

Efter konkurs i Falck Schmidt: Kæmpe-ordre er tabt for fynsk firma | fyens.dk ( article in “danish only” )

http://www.fmi.dk/materiel/materiel-paa-vej/piranha5/Pages/forside.aspx ( Danish Defence Ministry on the Piranha-5 APC in “danish only” )

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/firm.php?printmode=1&firmID=1370 ( Source articles of the ETS Program )

https://www.gdls.com/products/stryker-family/stryker-atgm.php ( General Dynamics comments on the ATGM for the Stryker )

“Old Suggestion”
M113 ETS - Other Nations - War Thunder - Official Forum

Very interesting vehicle, though I am not sure if it would be possible to balance the ability to fire over entire houses

They either could restrict how tall the launcher can lift or if, like the m901, the atgms act like an ammo rack