Leopard 2A4T1 - Cost Effective Solution

Would you like to see Leopard 2A4T1 in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Leopard 2A4

Background

History of Leopard 2s in Turkish Armed Forces dates back to 2000s, to Tank 2000 Tender. Turkish Armed Forces open a tender for 250 modern tanks for Turkish Land Forces Command. Scope of this tender was to increase armored capabilities TLFC, acquire further know-how and update the existing infrastructure for building and maintaining modern armor. Four, later five, contenders from four countries were announced. Those tanks were: M1A2SEP, later M1A2, USA – Leopard 2A6EX, Germany – Leclerc, France – T-84-120 “Yatağan”, Ukraine. After extensive test in Turkey, Leopard 2A6EX was completed all tests with outstanding performance and announced as winner of Tank 2000 Tender. Turkish and German sides failed to agree in matter of technology transfer and local production, which sealed the fate of Tank 2000 Tender.

Fast forward to 2005, Turkey showed interest to buy secondhand Leopard 2A4s from German Army surplus. 365 Million Euro worth deal for 298 Leopard 2A4 was made and tanks were delivered between 2006 - 2010. Later additional 56 Leopard 2A4 was bought in 2009, delivered between 2010 – 2014. Since then, Leopard 2A4 is one of the most important assets of Turkish Armed Forces.

Leopard 2A4T1

After many failed attempt, Defence Industry Agency submitted an urgent need for Leopard 2A4 modernization. This call answered by ROKETSAN with its brand-new hybrid armor package, T1. This urgent modernization only included armor package and nothing else to quickly fulfill the need for modern tank alongside M60TM. T1 Armor Package offers great protection against both KE and CE in modular form. Armor is also quite light weight, it adds no more than 6.4 tons to overall weight of the Leopard.

General Specifications
Firepower

Since this program’s main aim was to supplement armor package to increase protection of existing Leopard 2A4s, there was no attempt to enhance the firepower. Leopard 2A4T1 boasts Rheinmetall Rh-120 120mm L/44 tank cannon as main armament and supplemented with 7.62mm co-axial machine-gun

Mobility

Mobility of Leopard 2A4T1 is affected only slightly thanks to armor package’s low weight. Leopard 2A4T1 weighs 61.33 tonnes, only 6.3 tonnes heavier than original Leopard 2A4. Leopard 2A4T1 retains original EuroPowerPack which consists of MTU MB 873 Ka-501 diesel engine coupled with RENK HSWL 354 transmission system. With the additional weight of the armor, Leopard 2A4T1 weighs 61.33 tonnes with a top speed of 70 km/h. With the additional weight of the armor new power-to-weight ratio is now 24.4 hp/t, which 3 hp/t slower than.

Protection

Leopard 2A4T1’s protection is enhanced with ROKETSAN T1 Armor Package. T1 was developed specifically for Leopard 2A4 tanks with the experiences gained from Operation Euphrates Shield (Fırat Kalkanı Harekatı) and it is completely unique and indigenous system. Within as little as 6 months, ROKETSAN developed and completed ballistic tests of T1. Currently 40 Leopard 2A4T1 under Turkish Armed Forces service, it will be used on TİYK project too.

T1 is a Hybrid solution, frontal of Leopard is fitted with Passive Armor elements, increasing protection of frontal arc greatly against both KE and CE threats. Turret side are also fitted with Passive Armor Blocks, to further increase protection. Hull sides are fitted with Reactive Armor, increasing protection against KE and especially CE threats. Protection values of Passive/Composite Armor is currently unknown, but Reactive Armor proved itself to be resistants against even Tandem Warheads.

Performance of ROKETSAN’s Explosive Reactive Armor is top of its class. Test showed that ROKETSAN ERA has invulnerable most of the contemporary CE threats including RPGs, ATGMs and HEAT Rounds. ERA stopped PG-7VR, which is a tandem RPG with 600mm behind-the-ERA penetration, with minimal residual penetration, and completely stopped 125mm HEAT round. Alongside image proofs, production catalogue states that ERA protect against PG-7VR, KORNET, TOW-2A, Konkurs and other tandem-warhead ATGMs. It is also stated that, ROKETSAN ERA provides enhanced protection against APFSDS rounds too, but protection values are unknown.

Specifications

• Crew: 4
  • Dimensions and Weight
    • Mass: +55 Tons ˀ
    • Length: 8.1 m
    • Width: 4.3 m
    • Height: 2.8 m
  • Armament
    • Main Armament: Rheinmetall Rh-120 120mm L/44 Smoothbore Cannon
    • Secondary Armament:
      • MG3 7.62mm Co-Axial Machine Gun
      Or
      • FN MAG 7.62mm Co-Axial Machine Gun
    • Ammunition Capacity
      ∙ 42 Tank Rounds
      ∙ 4600 7.62mm Co-Axial Machine Gun
  • Mobility
    • Engine: MTU MB 873 Ka-501 Diesel Engine, 1500 Horsepower
    • Transmission: RENK HSWL 354 Automatic Transmission, 4 Forward, 2 Reverse
    • Suspension: Torsion Bar
    • Maximum Speed: 70 km/h
    • Power to Weight: 24.4 hp/t
  • Protection
    • Armor:
      ROKETSAN T1 Armor Package
      ∙ Reactive Armor
      ∙ Passive Armor
      ∙ Slat/Cage Armor
    • Active/Passive Protection System: None
    • Smoke Grenades: 16x
  • Accessories
    • Night Sight
      ∙ Gunner
      ∙ Commander
      ∙ Driver
    • Thermal Sight
      ∙ Gunner
    • Laser Range Finder

Implementation to War Thunder

Leopard 2A4T1 should be reserved for future Turkish Tech Tree, It would be natural successors to Leopard 2A4 considering it is inservice vehicle. Gameplay wise it would play similar to Leopard 2A5, with similar protection values and firepower. BR-Wise it would fit between 11.3 - 11.7.

Additional Photos

Spoiler

Videos

Leopard 2A4T1 Tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feBezmOeVYI

Sources

Spoiler

https://en.defenceturk.net/what-happened-to-leopard-24-modernization/

ROKETSAN'dan Leopard 2A4 tankları için zırh çözümleri | DefenceTurk

Roketsan Leopard 2A4T1 teslimatına başladı | SavunmaSanayiST

x.com

Leopard 2 - Wikipedia

Army Guide

Roketsan - BALLISTIC PROTECTION SYSTEMS

https://militaryleak.com/2021/06/12/turkey-unveils-new-leopard-2a4-upgrade-fitted-indigenous-armor-package/

https://www.asianmilitaryreview.com/2021/08/leopard-2a4-tanks-are-more-resilient-to-threats-with-roketsan/

Turkiye Kicks Off Modernizaton for Leopard 2A4 MBTs

5 Likes

For the first time, we have seen Turkish Land Forces LEO 2A4T1 in action during shallow water passage training, after Hungary added to Italian tree, MAYBE Leo2a4T1 can be the saver or Italian Ground Tree as the Ariete’s really suck. Protection of it should be close or even better than LEO2PL of Poland.

2 Likes

It is not the first time we’ve seen Leopard 2T1 in action, it participated Activity Year Beginning Terrain Exercises in 2021. Though, it is the first time we’ve seen Leopard 2T1 in numbers.

Here is an image from said exercise

I’m not really fan of addition of Turkish vehicles (especially ground) to Italian Tech Tree, there is no cooperation whatsoever. Hungarian 2A7s will definitely help to Italian Tree.

Protection-wise, Leopard 2T1 has better armor scheme then 2PL, though 2PL have better electro-optical package.

1 Like

It would probably end up as German 11.3 premium with DM43 or DM53

I guess this MBT could be premium golden eagle at rank 7 for germany or for future Turkish Tech Tree

3 Likes

I am doubling down on the theory that this tank being premium hints a Turkish TT, here are my thoughts:

Germany has a lot of leopards that can be a premium whilst being 11.0 or 11.3, and like other leaks has shown, it can be determined at the last minute.
The F-20, the other premium, is not likely to be American(It would be TT), German(they just got the WTD) nor Chinese(a Taiwanese F-5E upgrade would do, gaijin wont need to use new resources). Additionally, China will be getting the ZBD04 as a premium vehicle, which yeah, 2 premiums for one tree did took place before but rare.
Turkey was considering the F-20.
Although gaijin missed the hype train on the 100 years of Republic of Turkey, it wont be much of a big deal.

3 Likes

i am hoping for this thing to be either the opener for a export line in germany (i am a german main sry i had to do it), which would open the door for other export models and prototypes after the leopard 2k line. Or an independent turkish tech tree. But sadly i think that this vehicle will be a prem/squadron/event vehicle which will “solve” the problem posed by the lack of toptier readiness of the arrietes.

considering the f20 there were some countries who were playing with the idea of purchasing/testing the f20. If turkey is the only one receiving it there will be a large outcry. But that doesnt refute your hypothesis. So the option mentioned by you still stands.

I doubt that is the case, if Italy ever needs a premium leopard, Hungary will have that handled. The two Turkish vehicles are in Italy because they are Italian designs.

3 Likes

A wholly Turkish package in German Tech Tree does not make much sense to me either, 2NG on the other hand seems more appropriate since it has German armor package at least. Another thing is that Germany does not need other nation’s modifications of Leopard whatsoever, there plenty of German origin packages.

Well an export branch would be excellent since it can be start as Heavy Tank Branch and evolve into export one. Another option would be starting as Heavy Tank Branch and evolving into East German Branch while current branch used for export vehicles.

And that being said, 2A4T1 does not fit into “export” vehicle category as this upgrade uses solely ROKETSAN made T1 Armor Package which has nothing to with Germany. Leopard 2 Revolution/Evolution would be answer.

Thats true. In other threads i mentioned the leopard 2sg, the hellenic leo, the swiss, the qatari. But yeah the t1 does not fit quite into that category but it made me think about that export line. But perhaps that export line could be added by prototypes. so rather a prototype/export line at the end.

1 Like

I do think such line would be excellent for Germany. Actually the current Leopard 2K is more or less export/collaboration branch already. I would suggest adding another line starting with Heavy Tanks and evolving into East German Branch.

as far as i know, germany is lacking a lot of vehicles of the soviets. so that would be a good idea. But i think in general german tech tree needs to see some kind of restructure.

I had similar suggestion in old forum and I’m yet to move it to new one. When I look back, I did not have a clear cut vision about how this branch should be shaped and had two different variations of it.

Well the first one is Heavy Tank Branch evolving into East-German Branch:

(Ignore Battle Ratings, Image is Old)

Second is mixture of Heavy Tank, East-German and Collaboration Projects:

(Ignore Battle Ratings, Image is Old)

Some day I’ll update and move this suggestion.

Damn that second line is great, and the low tiers of the heavy line in the first image look perfect

This tank was mentioned in the first leak of the “Alpha Strike” update. It will be a nice squadron vehicle, just like the Leopard 2PL.

There can never be enough of Leo’s. Add this already.