Leopard 1V - The Chilean Leopard with Israeli LAHAT missiles

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Leopard 1V

History:

• Chile acquired in November 1997, through Fábricas y Maestranzas del Ejército (Famae), from the company RDM Technology a total of 202 Leopard 1V battle tanks belonging to the Royal Netherlands Army. The choice of the Leopard 1V tanks was due to the fact that they had a series of modifications which would facilitate the use of these tanks in the future. these upgrades were American-sourced radios , locally produced smoke grenade launchers , 7.62 x 51mm FN Herstal MAG machine guns , and hydraulic turret stabilization system from manufacturer Honeywell. Later, in the 1980s, the tanks received appliqué-type spaced armor on the tower from the German manufacturer Blohm + Voss, side skirts on the hull and the EMES-12A3 AFSL-2 fire control system produced by Honeywell and Zeiss (today Hensoldt) so after this improvement process they received the denomination 1V for Verbeterd or Improved. The implemented EMES-12A3 AFSL-2 fire control system puts it at the level between a leopard 1A4 and the leopard 1A5. The Leopard 1V began to arrive in Chile in January 1999 and the delivery process concluded in the year 2000. Later, an important improvement was added to provide them with night combat capacity, the Panzer-Ziel night image intensification system. und Beobachtungsgerät PZB 200 from AEG-Telefunken that enables it to shoot on the move under any condition. A search light was also added to the top of the tank. Few countries currently have the Leopard 1 operational as a combat tank, including Chile, in addition to the fact that currently only Chile has the 1V variant worldwide and with that unique appearance. It is expected that in a few years they will all be replaced by more Leopard 2 that the Chilean army already owns. An Israeli LAHAT missile was also launched from a Chilean Leopard 1V in the north of the country during some tests, there is a video that can be found on YouTube of this event. The Chilean leopard 1V uses israeli ammunition which gives it a great penetration capacity.

The Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot - Tracer (APFSDS-T) round shown is the Israeli IMI M413 Hetz-7, which was also produced in Germany as the DM33.

The High-Explosive Squash Head (HESH), or High-Explosive Plastic - Tracer (HEP-T), round shown is the Israeli IMI M156.

There is also a photo where you can see him with a fibrotex camouflage kit. The kit was called “multispectral cloak” and was intended to be deployed on mobile and static platforms. The kit does not protect against attack but provides electro-optic mimicry and protection against electromagnetic detection, which helps make the tank much more difficult to detect and therefore not as easily prey to anti-tank missiles or other infrared-guided devices (SWIR) or thermal systems.

Specifications:

• Crew:
    • 4 (commander, gunner, ammunition man, driver).
  • Armament:
    • Primary: Royal Ordnance (now BAE Systems) 105mm L7A3 rifled gun.
      • Ammunition: 53 projectiles of 105 mm (APFSDS-T IMI M413 Hetz-7, HEP-T IMI M156) and 5,500 of 7.62 x 51 mm, launch of israeli LAHAT missile was tested
    • Secondary: 7.62 x 51mm FN Herstal MAG coaxial machine gun, 7.62 x 51mm FN Herstal MAG anti-aircraft machine gun and 2 x 76mm sextuple smoke launchers.
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 9.54m
    • Width: 3.37m
    • Height: 2.62m
    • Weight: Total weight, battle ready 42 tons
  • Maneuverability:
    • Engine: MTU MB 838 CaM 500 10-cylinder polyfuel 830 hp at 2,200 rpm
    • Velocity: 65 km/h
    • Transmission: ZF 4HP250 from ZF Friedrichshafen AG with four forward and two reverse gears
    • Weight/power: 19,8 hp/t
    • Suspension: torsion bars
    • Autonomy: 600 km
    • Slope: 60%
    • Side slope: 30%
    • Wading capacity: 2.25m
    • Vertical obstacle: 1.15m
    • Horizontal obstacle: 3m
  • Accesories:
    • Fire control system: EMES-12A3 AFSL-2 by Hoynewell/Carl Zeiss (today Hensoldt)
    • NBC system: Yes
    • Night vision system: Panzer-Ziel und Beobachtungsgerät PZB 200 light intensifier from AEG-Telefunken
    • Barrel stabilization system: Electro-hydraulic

Photos:

Sources:

3 Likes

Here is the video of the Chilean Leopard1V in the Atacama desert firing the Israeli missile LAHAT

3 Likes

Such a shame VOLKAN fire control system deal was not finalised for this upgrade, it would be much more potent vehicle. Hope to see better cooperation in new Leopard 2A4 modernisation.

Anyways, +1 on appropriate Tech Tree, preferably on LATAM.

1 Like

Yes, a few days ago I found out about this modernization, so everyone in Chile is very expectant about what is going to happen. Aselsan has a lot of experience in modernizing the Leo 2, so they are expected to do a great job with FAMAE. anyway, thank you very much for your support

1 Like

amazing launch system, can’t imagine this could be put on the leopard tank

1 Like

Not many tanks can launch the Israeli LAHAT missile which makes it more special I guess, it would be fun to use it in the game

2 Likes

Laser rangefinder?

It’s weird, because without a LRF or thermals, it would do good at 8.7 as a sidegrade to the Leopard 1A1A1 (no LRF or thermals, but DM33 instead of DM23), but it would still struggle due to the lack of a LRF when everyone else has one. At 8.3 DM33 would be way too powerful. If it does have a LRF then 8.7 would work better…

I think it’s very good. +1 for Latin American trees or trees containing Chile.

1 Like

Yes, it has a laser rangefinder, I have a document that proves it and that specifies all the tank modifications but I don’t know if I can share it here, maybe I should ask a moderator if I can, this is an old tank, I still don’t know if it is allowed share that sensitive information since the tank is still in service in Chile

1 Like

Israeli Leopard 1V ammunition and additional photos of the tank where you can see an additional machine gun on the top of the tank

2 Likes