Leopard 1A5NO2 The missing rubber exhaust deflectors

LEOPARD 1A5NO2
“RUBBER BULGES/DEFLECTORS”

INTRODUCTION
I found some more footage of the modification in use on the tanks, and i have made a bug report for it wich has since has been aknowlegded, also a report regarding the name of the tank. I tought it might be interesting to see more of the bulge ;) so here is some information and footage of it. so this post will be about the bulges!

HISTORY
This is a Norwegian invention and was developed in the late 1980s at the The Norwegian Defense Research Institute (FFI- Forsvarets forskningsinstitutt)

This was developed for all Leopard 1 hulls, and was fitted to the Leopard 1A5NO, the Leopard 1A5NO2 (in-game verison) and the Leopard 1A1NO. and all the other Norwegian Leopard 1 Hulls wich was in use at that time such as brigdelayers and recovery vehicles

Leopard 1 has a very visible thermal signature, extra due to the rectangular exhaust grates, and this bulge was developed to reduce the thermal signature, They were mounted above the outlet of the exhaust on both sides of the engine, in the way that they were leading the hot exhaust away from the Eigne and hull

A TRAIN FULL OF 1A5NO2’s HAVING THE BULGE MOUNTED

Rubber bulges mounted over the exhaust outlets
(you can also see the exahust fumes being lead away by it!)

These infared pictures show’s how it worked, and that it worked!

HERE IS A VIDEO SHOWING MULTIPLE OF THE LEOPARD 1A5NO2 WITH THE BULGE

HERE ARE A SERIES OF PICTURES FROM THE VIDEO

Spoiler

HERE ARE THE BUG REPORTS I MADE

Spoiler

Leopard 1A5NO Wrong name
Community Bug Reporting System

Leopard 1A5NO Missing Modification
Community Bug Reporting System

SOURCES

Spoiler

Booklet of the modern norwegian land forces : Tankograd - Missons & Manouvers No 7016
Copyright verlag jochen vollert - Tankograd publishing 2009
Alle rechte voberhalten - all rights reserved
Keine verielfatigung, nachdruck oder fotokopie ohne vorherige schriftliche Genehmigung des Verlages - No part of this publication may be copied or reproduced without prior written permission from the publisher
Verlag Jochen Vollert - Tankograd publishing
Am Weichselgarten 5, 91058 Erlangen, Germany

Book: Motoriserte Militærkjøretøy i Norge
Copyright 2005 by Forsvarsmuseet/HMK All rights reserved
Billedbehandling/Grafisk produksjon: Mikro Marketing, Asker
Press: Gan Grafisk, Oslo
Motoriserte Militærkjøretøy i Norge Bind 1
ISBN 82-91218-43-9
The book is printed in 3,000 copies, 100 of which are leatherbound
front cover/back cover: The wheel rider squadron at Trandum 1953
Defense publications No. 3 Oslo 2005

If this is not enough proof of its existance and use then i dont know ;-D

Would you like to see this characteristic modification implemented?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

This post was made by
Til_Dovre_Faller
Also known as
Warthunder_Norway

8 Likes

+1, and I mean Im all for the suggestion, its just

Other nations defense research institutes
Creating machines of war for the battlefields of tommorow
Meanwhile at Norweigian defense research institute
“Lucas, lets put rubber over the exhaust”

3 Likes

The Norwegian Defense Research Institute has done a lot of stuff trough the years, with many clever ideas, like the Spermal firebombs or the terne rockets, then many smaller inventions like these rubber wings/bulges ;)

A couple vehicles as well, but not directly linked to the Defense Research Institute tough hehe

1 Like

Spermal? XD

2 Likes

Yes ;) But not of what you think XD
Norway developed its own Napalm once, made of whale oil and gasonline ;)

1 Like

Oh so they used sperm whale to make this

2 Likes

Not entirely sure, but it is either whale oil from that wale, or exess material from it :)

1 Like

I agree with that implemetation, very sourceful your text

2 Likes

uwu

3 Likes

Also, some model-kits has been inspired by this and gone into detail with these bulges

The grooves/lines that we can see on the top of the bulges/wings are most likely for the soldiers to step and stand on it without slipping!!!

1 Like

ADDITIONAL PICTURES AND VIDEOS OF OTHER NORWEGIAN LEOPARD 1 HULLS WITH THE BULGES

This show the modification really well

Norwegian Model 190 Brigdelayer with the rubber bulges
VIDEO

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/NfENsHqtzOw?si=guUBm7y_niudnsGA

PICTURES

Spoiler

Norwegian Model 217 Armoured Engineer Vehicle
PICTURES

Spoiler

Here we just can see that the rubber bulge has been covered with a white stuff or something as camouflage, that could be a thing on the camouflages

On second thought, exhaust deflectors is probably a better name for this haha, but it has been called many names, mostly “rubber bulges”

Rubber bulges, rubber wings, batman wings, exhaust deflectors, to name a few names and nicknames it got trough the time

Great news, this both verifies the “rubber bulges”, exhaust deflectors were used on the Leopard 1A1NO as well as its a close up picture of them. Tought it might be interesting to see

1 Like