Landing Craft, Support (Large) (Mark II) Late - "Twice the Guns, Double the Fall"

Would you like to see the Landing Craft, Support (Large) (Mark II) in its late service configuration in game?
  • Yes, as a tech tree vehicle
  • Yes, as a premium vehicle
  • Yes, as an event vehicle
  • Yes, as a squadron vehicle
  • Yes, as a modification to the current L.C.S.(L)(2)
  • No, I would not like to see the late service L.C.S.(L)(2) in game.
0 voters

An L.C.S.(L)(2) with twin Oerlikon cannon mount deploying smoke during invasion rehearsals off the Isle of Wight in late April 1944.

History

The Fairmile H L.C.S.(L)(2) was a conversion of the L.C.I.(S) designed to provide support for amphibious landing forces. Ten units, numbered from 251 to 260, were constructed in all. As is evident from the typical L.C.S.(L)(2) found in game, it was armed chiefly with a 6 pounder cannon in a Valentine tank turret in order to effectively engage theoretical armored vehicles that would appear on the beaches. This, of course, pretty much never happened, but the L.C.S.(L)(2) was equipped with a smoke/high explosive mortar, smoke generators, and secondary autocannons and machine guns for anti-air suppression and engaging light targets, so it was still a useful vehicle.

The Fairmile H L.C.S. served with distinction in various operations including Operation Neptune and Operation Infatuate, among others. As originally built, they were given single Oerlikon gun mountings, though as can be seen in the photograph, at least one vessel was retrofitted with a twin mount as planned from the outset. To accommodate the new, wider gun mounting, it appears the side armor plate typically present on the standard L.C.S.(L)(2) has either been pared down or removed entirely. In addition, new guide rails were fitted to the sides of the gun pit to prevent any mishaps that could occur during firing.

Unfortunately, that’s everything I have to go on. I could make some more definitive statements if I had a side view or even a layout drawing, but everything else I’ve seen is the typical single Oerlikon gun. Landing craft have never been the most popular vessels, so material is hard to find, but I find them incredibly interesting. In War Thunder, I think this would be a nice sidegrade to the current L.C.S.(L)(2), forsaking some protection and firing angles for the Oerlikon gun crew and gaining an extra cannon per side in return. Alternatively, it could be added as a modification to the current vehicle.

Specifications

Fairmile H L.C.S.(L)(2) Late

Dimensions

• Length: 105 ft. 1 in. (32.03 m)
  • Beam: 21 ft. 5 in. (6.53 m)
  • Draught (Loaded): 3 ft. 8 in. (1.12 m) forward, 3 ft. 4 in. (1.02 m) aft

Displacement (Loaded): 116 tons

Crew: 2 officers, 14 ratings, 9 Royal Marines gun crew (25 men total)

Propulsion: 2 x Hall Scott Defender engine (1,540 hp total)

Max speed: 14.0 kt (16.1 mph, 25.9 km/h)

Range: 800 miles

Armament:

• Primary: 1 x 1 57mm 6 pounder (512 rounds)
  • Secondary: 2 x 2 20mm Oerlikon autocannon in Mk.IX mount (12,000 rounds total)
  • Additional:
    • 1 x 2 .50 caliber Vickers machine gun in Mk.V mount (9,600 rounds total)
    • 1 x 1 4" B.L. Mk.1N mortar (60 H.E. bombs, 50 smoke rounds)

Armor:

• Bridge: ¼" bulletproof plating
  • Oerlikon Zarebas: ¼" D.I.H.T. steel
  • Deck plate: ¼" D.I.H.T. steel
  • Side plate: ¼" D.I.H.T. steel
  • Forward bulkheads: ¼" D.I.H.T. steel

Additional equipment:

• C.S.A. smoke generator

Sources:

+1