L6/40 Lanciafiamme (L6 l/f).

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • No
0 voters

L6/40 Lanciafiamme (L6 l/f).

History.

The L6/40 was an Italian light tank used during World War II, which was theoretically supposed to replace the obsolete L3/33. The prototype left Ansaldo in 1938 and various configurations were tested until the final one equipped with a 20 mm Breda cannon and a coaxial machine gun was reached in 1939. Although it was in many respects an efficient vehicle in its category, the The L6 was considered an “old” vehicle both in terms of armament and armour, but despite this it was used more or less efficiently in all the battlefields in which Italy fought during the Second World War. In December 1941 an L6/40 was modified by removing the Breda cannon and replacing it with a flamethrower, the same as the L3/35 Flamethrower tank, adding a 200 liter tank of flammable liquid but maintaining the coaxial Breda 38 machine gun. The modification to the armament led to an increase in the weight of the vehicle, which weighed approximately seven tons (1 more than the standard L6). The vehicle was officially adopted on 1 September 1942, and a small series was produced which unfortunately did not survive the end of the Second World War and saw limited battlefield use.

Armament and propulsion.

The vehicle was armed with a turret flamethrower (the same as the L3/35 flamethrower tank) equipped with an internal reserve of 200 liters of flammable liquid. In addition to this there was a Breda Mod.38 coaxial machine gun with a reserve of 65 24-round magazines.
The tank was powered by a 4-cylinder SPA engine, which allowed the tank to reach a maximum speed of 40 km/h (usually 42 km/h but the weight of this vehicle was slightly higher than that of the L6/40s of series).

Specifications.

Spoiler

Weight: 7 tonnes
Lenght: 3,82 m
Widhth: 1,80 m
Height: 2,175 m
Crew: 2
Engine: SAP 180 4 cylinder, 70 hp
Armour: 6-40 mm
Maximum speed: 40 km/h
Armament: 1x flamethrower with 200 liter of fuel and 1x Breda Modello 1938 with 1560 rounds (65 magazines)

Pictures and drawnings.

Spoiler

Sources.

Spoiler

L6/40 - Wikipedia
L6/40 tank - Wikipedia
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/italy/carro_armato_l6_40.php
Carro Armato L6/40 Light Tank Tracked Combat Vehicle
Ansaldo-Fiat L6/40 - Esercito - Aerei Militari Forum
Regio Esercito - Lista materiale bellico - Carro leggero L6-40
GLI AUTOVEICOLI DA COMBATTIMENTO DELL'ESERCITO ITALIANO VOL II TOMO I by Biblioteca Militare - Issuu
L6/40 Lfs : Italy (ITA)
Ansaldo-Fiat L6/40 (Flame-Thrower)
Carro Armato L6/40
Fiat L6/40 Light Tank Details and Specifications - Comando Supremo
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/italy/carro_armato_l6_40.php
L6/40 Light Tank | World War II Database
The Italian Carro Armato L6/40 Light Tank - TankNutDave.com
L6/40 - 나무위키

Sorry, but this gets a -1 from me. When considering flame tanks to add to War Thunder, one must consider how the flamethrower is only capable of damaging open-topped vehicles. If a flame tank is to be at all possible, it needs a gun as well as the flame projector.

1 Like

Same, I can’t see how this tank would be anything other than a paper weight in a battle considering it would only be able to destroy open topped vehicles.

2 Likes

+1 though only in limited capacity until it becomes possible to damage closed vehicles with fire.

1 Like

Sadly, none of italian tanks have this “ability” of having both a major gun and a flame projector. At least, I remember this so I can be wrong.

Shure some more target practice with even moving targets would be fun. (Best thing they cant even fight back.)

1 Like

+1 I’d rather see the L3 Lanciafiamme, but it would be good for Italy to have a flame tank.

Mechanic for flame damage to planes and ground vehicles needs to be revisited. Fully enclosed vehicles would still suffer from a flamethrower attack, and if you can shoot down a plane with a flamethrower then you deserve the kill.

2 Likes

this vehicle will be pretty useless in the game

lo voglio

1 Like