Japan's phantom multi-turret heavy tank Oi vehicle

Looks photoshoped.
Beside is not that the Type 5 heavy from WoT ?

Spoiler

No one knows if the picture is real or not. Which is a massive problem. Due to the angle, it could be an optical illusion which is why it looks so big due to the angle the person is at when it was taken on the other hand it might be a fabricated image. I don’t necessarily believe it’s a fake picture since it’s been scattered since before I joined WT. So I believe it is a real picture. However, it was just taken at an angle.

However, it more or less might be the only picture of the real thing since some did state there was a prototype that did not have a turret and only a machine gun. But idk.

3 Likes

Wasn’t this a bunker in Manchuria?

1 Like

The photo is real, it’s been around on the internet well before WoT and their Japanese heavies. It’s definitely not the O-I though.

The issue is, we don’t know whether it’s a bunker or an actual tank (unlikely). A) it’s unlikely Japan still wanted a super-heavy tank after the O-I failed and B) we don’t actually know if the Type 4/5 heavy were real.

The only evidence for them existing is Soviet documents made public by Wargaming, which itself is a red flag. Supposedly, this was the design for the Type 2604 (Type 4):

You can see the turret shape resemblance. But, these are the Soviet documents and could have been forged.

3 Likes

Yeah, i think the situation is similar to the KV-220, which had it’s turret made into a bunker.
t32ib6h58y981
Or even this, supposed be the T-100Z turret (i dnot know if it is real or not)

IIRC

Yeah i don’t think it is the actual tank, most likely just a static turret. And there have been a lot of examples of this. (tho in that picture’s case, we don’t know if it was intended as a superheavy tank turret, or just a bunker)

Yeah sadly.

3 Likes

That picture looks very fake

1 Like

However, i would really like to see this in the game.
Not because it would be effective. They would likely put it somewhere 6.x-7.x, where the armor would be useless against anything really, but it would have a huge crew, and a good gun (wether the 150 or the 105mm one, they are booth good).

2 Likes

Which picture?

Bunker one, Looks very photoshoped

1 Like

I provided 3 bunker pics. Which one?

1 Like

This one

1 Like

Quality of the turret compared to the fore ground looks inconsistent…

2 Likes

That could be due to a few things, like focus. But i am also a bit sceptical in terms of that pic.

1 Like

You did not get the problem here - I’m not talking about figuring out the range you’re shooting at. When you have your view set to the sights of gun #1 and the gun #2 is following it, by the same angles/direction, but those guns have different calibres, even if you set different buttons to shot gun #1 and gun #2 separately, the gun #2 being different caliber will shoot at different point at the set distance that you’re aiming with aperture of gun #1.
You can jump between the views of those two guns, but on top of it being annoying micromanagement, if you’re shot and you lose the crew of the gun #2 while you’re sitting in it, the crew from gun #1 will go into this one because you’re sitting in this gun #2 gun sight.

Go into M3 Lee/SMG/T-35 and check what will happen with the smaller round when you aim with the main sights at something like 600 meters range. And also check what happens if you set sight distance control and swap between the guns/sights - you will see those two guns sighs being set to different sight distance control offset.

1 Like

This seems to be fake URL (Japanese)
https://twitter.com/orz47329448/status/1389786433762725890?t=a6CKgRqhUzsqKbrlAew5zw&s=19

1 Like

The dude post 3. Also do understand that photography can make something look very fake. Especially at angles.

1 Like

The M3 Lee is honestly a good example for a problem that quite a view multigunned tanks have but the O-I doesn’t, having the low velocity gun in the hull and the high velocity gun on top, meaning the paths of the shells are already off from the beginning and the different velocitys only make it worse. Having the somewhat low velocity gun (540m/s isn’t THAT bad) on top means the path of the shells would intersect at probably something like 200-400 meters, making it way more usefull, even when they won’t work well together at longer ranges (the 47mm wouldn`t be very effective at such BR at long range regardless). Other multigunned tanks that have the low velocity gun on top mostly have absolutely atrocious velocity making them only usefull point blank. Having two fast fireing backup guns would also help protecting you in close quarters while waiting for the long reload.

4 Likes

Why should the trajectories intersect though at specific distance? In M6 heavy, Nb.Fz and Maus it makes sense because they have two guns fixed together on the same mantle.

From my perspective it actually makes more sense for M3 to have lower velocity gun in the hull because it means you should be able to lob the shell over obstacles like you’re doing it with sturmpanzer and brummbar. So When your main gun is the top turret, it’s less likely that you’ll hit ground/some obstacle that is not directly in the line of sight of the lower caliber turret gun. But that is as long as the gun in the hull would be pointing at the same point with the same sight distance offset as the main gun in the turret.

Also if it was true what you’re saying, then SMK and T-35 would be really good close-combat brawlers, and they aren’t to be honest, because due to additional turret weights they have weaker armour than their standard counterparts and more ammo scattered around, which effectively makes them easier to kill off quickly. It would make sense for them to keep enemies at medium-to-longer ranges like battleships by shooting a lot of rounds again and again, and not let others get close to them.

2 Likes

Type 96 15cm howitzer, main gun of the O-I.

These men reloaded the gun in less than 10 seconds, not bad for a gun this size.

9 Likes

That gun seems nice. Almost same muzzle velocity as KV-2, but the shells are lighter, which could mean they are bit weaker. Then again the fire rate could be faster thanks to them and roomier turret. Hard to guess how good the APHE would be.

1 Like