Italian Sherman V engine

Shouldn’t Italian Sherman V and Sherman VC have R975 Continental engine instead of A57 multibank?
As for example Storia Militare tells that Italian M4A4 Shermans were gradually retrofitted with more reliable R975 engines.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20260921_124957

1 Like

Ig it’s not strictly wrong, since it’s stated to be a gradual process, meaning that there were examples being used in their original configuration for a time. Regardless, I’d be down for any domestically preformed modification to differentiate the Italian Shermans.

2 Likes

Yeah, I also think this way)

At least one, if not more Italian M4 (105) Shermans were retrofitted with 75mm cannons. I am not sure what the turret drive situation is like however. Either way, I think there was a lot of workshop fiddling happening behind the scenes many take for granted that can help in making the Italian tree more unique.

So it’s kinda like the early Israeli Shermans? They were bought from Italian scrapyards, so it checks out.

1 Like

Yes, I also didn’t think about the stabilizer, so that’s another potentially (lacking) component. I only know of this one so far, but there’s bound to be others.


Sherman at Cassino - Tracked vehicles - HMVF - Historic Military Vehicles Forum

There is also this one, although people say inscription can be wrong and it uses M4 hull, not M4A4.

Spoiler

49cef8b2baeb9dc6b7c2c4d89345c5bc57835fc6 (1)

1 Like

Monuments and museum stuff could be non-functional though, just for exposition purposes.

2 Likes

Regardless, at a BR of 4.7 or 5.0 it should be suitable to replace one of the copy paste Italian fireflies.