Is WT Rayleigh scattering correct?

As you know, a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering occurs on the earth, and the light emitted from the sun is scattered by the earth’s atmospheric particles, making the sky appear blue and sunsets appear red.

As far as I understand it, the thickness of the atmospheric layer between the observer and the sun changes the color of the sky. If the atmosphere is thin, it will be blue; if it is thick, it will be red.

WT reproduces this Rayleigh scattering, and the color of the sky changes depending on the angle of the sun.
But there is one strange phenomenon: even if you change the altitude of the aircraft and change the thickness of the atmospheric layer between the sun, the color of the light emitted toward the aircraft remains the same as it was on the surface of the earth.

This image was taken during a test flight using the game’s built-in debug commands to move the aircraft to an altitude of 1 million meters, or into outer space.
As you can see, there is no atmosphere between us and the sun. So there shouldn’t be any Rayleigh scattering, but as you can see the aircraft is bathed in red light just like it is on the ground.

As far as I know, the sun emits white light, and aircraft should be exposed to white light if there is no obstruction by the atmosphere or the like. I think the behavior of the game is wrong.

I’m not a meteorologist so I’m not sure about this question. Can someone please give me an opinion on this issue?

Where is the confused emoticon?

This aint KSP or Simple Rockets😂.Why do you even care if gaijin has properly modeled space? We arent supposed to go there and it’s not even related to gameplay.

1 Like

I used outer space as an analogy, but this phenomenon can occur even at an altitude of 10,000m or less.
In the real world, even if a sunset is observed at an altitude of 100m, the sunset cannot be seen at an altitude of 10,000m at the same time.

This is because the thickness of the atmosphere between the observer at an altitude of 10,000m and the sun is different from the thickness of the atmosphere between the observer on the ground and the sun.

So while clouds at lower altitudes are tinted orange, clouds at higher altitudes remain white.

However, as mentioned above, WT does not take into account the thickness of the atmosphere, so when the sun begins to set on the ground, all clouds present on the map will begin to receive orange light. This is totally unrealistic to have…

The photo shown below illustrates this phenomenon well.

bottom of the cloud : The sun has already sunk into the horizon, so the light doesn’t reach it and it’s black.
the center of the cloud : The thick atmosphere between the sun and the clouds blocks light other than red, and the clouds are bathed in red light.
top of the clouds : Because the atmosphere between the sun and the clouds is still thin, light is still not blocked and white light reaches the clouds.

1 Like

Though you have a valid point but is it necessary to have in game? They have a lot of other stuff to fix

It does actually. Flight performance changes with the altitude in game.