IRIS-T SL - The Surface Launched variant

sounds cool as heck ngl

2 projects in europe, HYDEF and HYDIS (europe in a nutshell)

One is DIEHL, one is MBDA

a bit off topic i know, but since we’re talking anti hypersonic, some models are about to be exposed for HYDIS too, and it looks like this

or this

ramjet variant was shown in renders for HYDEF some time ago as well but no model.
HYDIS vs HYDEF is more of just EU vs France lmao

1 Like

hmmm

Hydis, source Occar

Hydef, Occar again

Seems like a good old cluster**** more than “France vs UE” on this one

More broadly, in the anti air department, its usually Germany and sometimes Spain around IRIST and UK + France + Italy with CAMM, MICA and ASTER. But that’s oversimplifying it a lot tbh

its because france wanted an alternative thats more in their favour. not because france does it alone

More like MBDA wanting a piece of the cake for hypersonic development, and not just DIEHL (even if SENER was supposed to lead HYDEF, we both know how it’s going to go).

And considering the background they have with Aster, i can’t blame them. A bit of competition is also good. In the end UK + It + Fr will probably go with a missile resulting from HYDIS while Sp + Ger will probably use a missile resulting from HYDEF.

i might be blind here, but nowhere did it mention UK here

1 Like

first photo (MBDA’s page on the project)

It is not mentionned in OCCAR cause UK isn’t part of the EU anymore, i would guess ^^’

1 Like

fair enough

norwegian NOMADS launching an IRIS-T

2 Likes

Now we have a launcher/radar united module photo, photo of the missile being launched from it. Finally boys. Now we gotta wait 3 years, because they should bring BUK first. You know, because pantisir isn’t sufficient enough and sucks overall.

we already know of this one since like a year and its succesful launch xD

Then congrats! It just became 2 years instead of 3!

so its reported that they’ll switch to aim-9x2 at some point but idk if they’ll actually follow through with that.

4 Likes

it looks nice, and realy great realy finaly seeing it in action, but buhhhh to the aim9x

yeah idk what thats about tbh.
like whats the point of integrating iris-t (and having to buy new ones for that because the remaining 150 that the air force had were retired with the f-16s and given to ukraine) but then later switching to a different missile which is not even partially produced locally

Too bad its sweden thatll get it…

eh, might be a ito 90M moment at the start where both germany and sweden get it

nah german will just get the boxer iris-t sls

but thats years away, i would prefer this as a in between with getting replaced in the future