Introducing the "Guardian" DE M-SHORAD: Cutting-Edge Laser Equipped SPAA

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No, but lasers would be cool
  • No, lasers don’t fit into War Thunder

0 voters

Hello fellow War Thunder enthusiasts!

I would like to suggest the addition of a fascinating and highly advanced Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft system to the game: the “Guardian” DE M-SHORAD (Directed Energy Maneuver-Short Range Air Defense). This cutting-edge system has recently been deployed by the US Army for testing, and I believe it would make a unique addition to War Thunder’s vehicle lineup.

image\

Close view of the 50 kW-class high energy laser weapon

Specifications:

Armament: 1 50kw-class laser weapon powered by on-board diesel generator, range of 8 km

Armor: Protection against 14.5mm from the front, 7.62mm everywhere else, mine and IED protection

Mobility: 450hp engine with a max speed of 92 km/h, roughly 16.5 hp/t

Crew: 3, Driver, Laser Gunner, Commander

Radar: Electro-optic/infrared acquisition and tracking system, Ku720 multi-mission radar

Weight: 27,215 kg

Design and Protection: The “Guardian” DE M-SHORAD is based on the Stryker A1 8x8 armored vehicle, an improved version of the original Stryker vehicle manufactured by General Dynamics. It features the Double-V Hull (DVH) configuration, which enhances survivability against mines and improvised explosive devices. The high-hardness steel construction of the hull provides protection against 14.5 mm rounds on the frontal arc and all-around protection against 7.62 mm ball ammunition.

Mobility: Powered by a new Caterpillar C9 engine developing 450 hp (over the older 350hp Caterpillar 3126), the Stryker A1 DE M-SHORAD offers increased mobility compared to its predecessors. Equipped with an optimized driveline and eight tires, it ensures superior mobility and increased speed in all-terrain conditions. The vehicle can reach a maximum road speed of 92 km/h with a cruising range of 550 km.

Armament and Capabilities: The “Guardian” DE M-SHORAD is armed with a powerful 50 kW-class laser weapon. This advanced laser system provides effective protection against rockets, artillery, mortars, unmanned aerial systems, and fixed- and rotary-wing manned aircraft. Its radar system detects enemy drones up to 8 kilometers away, allowing the laser to lock onto and track them. In the face of incoming mortar fire, the laser quickly intercepts and destroys the rounds, ensuring rapid response and enhanced survivability.

Accessories: The Stryker A1 DE M-SHORAD is equipped with a Battle Management System and a computerized communication system, providing manual/semi-automatic/automatic target acquisition, aim-point selection, and aim-point management systems connected to the U.S. Army battle management system. The acquisition and tracking sensors include infrared-based wide field-of-view (FOV) components for target acquisition and an IR-based narrow FOV fine target tracker. The vehicle is powered by high-capacity batteries charged by the Stryker’s diesel engine. It also features thermal management systems for laser cooling and standard heating, venting, and air conditioning for all other subsystems.

I believe that the addition of the “Guardian” DE M-SHORAD to War Thunder would introduce exciting gameplay possibilities, offering players a unique experience with War Thunder’s first laser weapon. Its cutting-edge laser system, enhanced mobility, and advanced defensive capabilities make it a formidable asset on the battlefield.

As for how I personally would expect a laser system to work in the game engine would be for it to just cause a small amount of damage per second to certain parts of vehicles, for aircraft I would expect that control surfaces would be the most affected, and for ground vehicles, I would expect that you could pop tires of wheeled vehicles and eliminate exposed crew, and not do much to actual tanks, but considering we already have 2 AA only vehicles (Type 93 and Ozelot) this is not a deal breaker. For the fact this is currently in a testing state, the 2S38 is in the same situation, so there is precedent already.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions, also mods, it’s my first suggestion, be gentle.

3 Likes

While I would like to see more mid-high tier SPAA for USA, I feel like the laser variant of the SHORAD will definitely need to be a later addition.
Mostly because… how do you even balance a laser weapon?

It would just be a pain if Gaijin made the aim sway as bad or worse than it already is.
Do we even know the time to kill an air target with this system?

Sounds exciting +1

1 Like

We do not as it is currently an actively tested vehicle, but there is this article on a different 50kw system, saying it cut through 15mm of steel at 1km, which is at least somewhat of a comparison, plus this is a video game, they can play around with the TTK until it’s balanced or new info comes to light

https://www.airforce-technology.com/contractors/air-defence/rheinmerallair/pressreleases/pressrheinmetall-tests-50kw-laser-weapon/#:~:text=Rheinmetall%20has%20successfully%20tested%20its%20new%2050kW%20high-energy,from%20target%20detection%20and%20tracking%20to%20target%20engagement.

Lasers from 4-60 ADAR

New picture of the 4-60 ADAR unit in Fort Sill with their DE M-SHORAD vehicles

1 Like

+1 as a squadron vehicle just because it’d be cool to have. Also, if the US gets this, the Russians better get the 1K17.

Either the 1K17 or the newer Peresvet laser complex. The Chinese could get their Silent Hunter system (30-100 kW) too if needed. The Germans also could get their Mobile HEL Effector Wheel XX on the Boxer platform chassis (5-20 kW)

2 Likes

I’d perfer the 1K17 just due to how iconic it is. Literally the first thing that comes up when you search “laser tank”.

The specification for the laser used on the DE M-SHORAD (50 kW). It is interesting to see the actual “magazine depth” of the laser system, which is specified to be around 120 sec of use. I wonder how you would implement that fact in the game.

2 Likes

This thing is rad as hell and I’d love to play it… if they can figure out a way to not make lasers awful to play against. My concern with it is how do you play against it? With guns and missiles you can maneuver and dodge but against a laser your only option is to not be seen which doesnt really work. I assume its designed for anti drone work so maybe make it only functional against drones? Then I could see it being added as a neat gimmick vehicle but it wouldnt be all that practical to spawn in given how rarely UCAVs get used at top tier anymore. Anyways, definitely a conditional yes from me

It should be functional against everything, or at least not artificially nerfed to only effect one unit, but it would take time to actually take down aircraft, as it is rated for smaller targets, but a 50kw laser will certainly damage and eventually take down any flying target, tanks are a different story however.

2 Likes

I posted this suggestion about 2 years ago and was told by the devs that this was not a production or even a prototype vehicle, even though I had posted links to Army websites showing it was in production and would be fielded within a year. I really hate the devs on here.

3 Likes

I would say no to this vehicle. This technology is too new, not even tested on active field and many other nations will not have access to a simiar technology to it. Also we don’t know the full capabilities of this system against aircraft, it’s supposed to be deployed more against drones, rockets and missiles as an active defense system.

Also this vehicle will cause many issues in-game, either because it will not perform well or people will try again to leak classified documents again to make it work well.

Plus a quote from a News article released this year in April (FY24 and FY25 refers to Fiscal Year 2024 and 2025):
" Defense News first reported that the DE M-SHORAD system would stay in development longer and not transfer to a program of record with Program Executive Office Missiles & Space until FY25. According to FY24 budget justification documents, the Army will begin the transfer process in the first quarter of FY25 and complete it by the fourth quarter."
Source: Army short-range air defense laser prototypes take down drones at Yuma (defensenews.com)

This tech is still on trials and testing phase, everything else in-game is at least using decades-old tech that is known and tested in the field (even prototype vehicles like 2S38). It has no place in-game yet - but this could be discussed again after at least 5 years if this vehicle gets approved and serial service deployment.

The laser is meant to be against drones

Lmfao. Meanwhile the 2s38…

2 Likes

You have to remember many drones are still half the size of full airplanes, its not only meant to take down commercial quadcopters

Yeah they dont even try to hide their favoritism and insult you if you try to confront them on it.

Isn’t the Peresvet meant to blind satellites, it has a range of 1500km.

I feel the laser beam thing from that drone in the Atomic Heart crossover event was a test for laser weaponry in War Thunder.

Very questionable especially any “data”