Incorret reload time for IS-3

Considering manually loaded guns are not based historical reload times, this wont change anything.

Here is some “historical reload time” for you:

"…from June 20th to July 12th, 1951, trials were held, the results of which showed that the average aimed rate of fire with a trained loader could reach 3.6 RPM (the technical requirement was 2-3 RPM). The average cycle lasted 16.5 seconds and consisted of removing a shell from the brass catcher (2.9 seconds), loading a round (9.5 seconds), correcting the aim and firing (3.1 seconds) and the recoil brake returning the gun to the firing position (1 second).

From attachment 2.

3 Likes

None of that matters. Reload for manual loaded guns is balance based and not based on documents.

Do you have any authoritative source on that? I mean im not just gonna take your word for it. No offence

@markimash isn’t saying that the in-game reload is accurate, or that what you’re saying isn’t incorrect, they’re saying that Gaijin doesn’t often use the real life reload speeds. Many vehicles in this game, such as the Shermans, Pattons, etc. have artificially nerfed or buffed reload speeds, regardless of historical accuracy.

2 Likes

It is based on what has been said on other reload threads.

1 Like

Well that sucks. Thanks anyway

No problem. You just have to argue based on gameplay/balance rather than historical documents.

Thats not my strong suite i am afraid ;). Best I can do is complain to Gaijin i guess lol

Lol. I think they will do a little decompression this year which might help the is3 a bit. Maybe that would be a good time to try to get a reload reduction.

Or the aphe nerf will force them to either drop its br or reduce reload time.

2 Likes

I could be wrong, maybe you can confirm or deny, but I beleive that for a short while the IS-6 actually had a reload time of 16,5 seconds, they have reverted that back to around 20 seconds now

Yeah the Aphe changes are gonna have a big impact on alot of gameplay, its gonna be fun to ajust to if not a little frustrating in the beginning lol

That sounds correct. I do remember it being a big threat.

On the topic of why soviet tanks generally have poor ROF:

Fast reload
Compact vehicle
Big gun

You can pick only two (unless you have an advanced autoloader).

If you want a heavy tank with a 122mm main gun and a 5 RPM reload, it will need two loaders and a comfortable ammunition storage layout. The closest thing we had IRL was the Jagdtiger, and that thing was not 50 ton, like the JS-3, but over 70.

1 Like

I mean 3.6 RPM does not sound bad to me, depends on what you are packing right? ;) From my amatuer perspective I guess you are right, tank design is often about compormises

IS-3 is fine where it is BR-wise. It’s basically impenetrable when facing 7.0 and lower vehicles. If anything it ought to be 7.7BR.

God forbid heavy tanks actually would function as allowed by their design and time period. I would refer you to the thread below.

Most of them work fine for me. The issue it that people expect to hold W and bounce rounds like it is a tank in a CoD campaign mission.

No matter what tank I use, i try to not get shot. For heavies i work the armor to bait poor shots then push for a kill.

1 Like

It’s funny that in WT the IS-3 already is slightly faster to reload than the IS-2 or IS-4M with their massively larger interiors.

What made the IS-3 so bad was that it fell for the same mistakes as the early KV-1 and T-34. Sacrificing everything for armor.

Not only was the space inside the IS-3s turret extremely limited, they didn’'t even put a comander cupola on the tank like it’s 1939 again.

So not only was it more difficult for the loader to load shells unless he was the size of a dwarf, the commander couldn’t observe the surroundings properly and had to use the same poor hatch design as the early T-34s with their single and double turret hatches, that made it impossible for the commander to just see what’s infront of him by poking his head out, without standing on his seat looking above the plate.

Spoiler

https://i.imgur.com/lCEHT37.jpg

Since the IS-3 didn’t improve the IS-2 whatsoever, appart from increasing the armor values, production was quickly stopped and the IS-2 remained in servive for far longer.
Since when armor no longer matters, at least you want to be able to shoot first, or have a chance to do so.

1 Like

There’s a difference between being hard to kill and basically impossible to kill. Even within it’s BR range any vehicle that doesn’t have HEATFS is SOL, and early APDS is a dice roll.

Anyone lacking APDS or HEATFS is forced to barrel it, track it and run away. That’s not enjoyable nor balanced.