Incorrect speed of the Tornado and maybe other Aircraft

I can’t surely say that this is true, but at the RIAT 2024 airshow, I spoke to a German Tornado pilot, and he said that the Tornado can reach Mach 2 at sea level but without payload because it would rip off. I know this is just my word and has no evidence, but maybe this is a problem for a few aircraft, and the devs could check their information to see if this is true or not.

pylot was just bragging to you

7 Likes

There’s definitely been a misunderstanding somewhere here. He probably meant it could do Mach 2 at altitude. No aircraft is capable of Mach 2 at sea level.

IIRC the world record currently stands somewhere around Mach 1.4-1.5.

4 Likes

No aircraft we have made to date can withstand any M numbers past M1.5 on sea level, the airframes simply aren’t strong enough yet so he indeed was pulling your leg a bit

1 Like

He said that it can do it if the air is warm becouse it’s thinner.

He said that the airframe is strong enough.

Maybe

At the Eurosatory I spoke to a German Leopard Driver, he said the Leopard 2A7V can easely do 120km/h on terrain
/s

2 Likes

Ok, that ist not true.

lol mach 2 at sea level

1 Like

The fact that the tornado airframe is very strong (and should be stronger ingame) is true. I spoke with and italian mechanic and said that he saw many tornado just eat bird strikes like nothing, neither the engines or wings were demaged (small birds tho, bigger ones did damage), but it surely isn’t strong enough to make it to mach2 at sea level.

2 Likes

if it can go mach 2 at sea level then it could go… let’s say around mach 4.5 at high altitude

Sorry but i highly doubt your pilot source, even with their claimed credentials. At sea level, the air is so dense that the power needed to fight the resistance and not break apart means that not a single manned aircraft has been past even M1.5 at MSL. The fastest plane that can do so is the F104, I do believe though the tornado would not be far behind in this regard, but would still not perform as well as something like the starfighter that was modified to break the MSL speed record.

1 Like

I’m still not convinced the lightnings performance is even close to reality. I’ve seen may videos where pilots and experts alike talk about the enormous climb rate and a celebration the lightnings had. First plane to be able to stand on its tail and exceed Mach 1 in a climb, only being beaten by the f15 when it went into service. The Fm in game is nothing like any of the descriptions anywhere.

1 Like

He said, that the engines where made for dense air, witch makes sense if you think about what this aircraft was made for. So you comment doesn’t make sense.

Yea I was wondering too. That’s why I didn’t try to say that what I sad is true.

Lmaooooo