Implement the post-pen shell normalization

Currently after successfully penetrating the armour the shell simply continues moving in the initial direction until it explodes, like this:

Spoiler

Undeviated

But in reality the shell is deviated from it’s path after emerging behind the armour, as you can see here:

Spoiler

The angle it’s deviated by is not always the same. If the armour is thin, the shell will deviate little after penetrating it, but if it offers a lot of resistance, the shell will deviate more towards the normal vector of the plate, up to emerging from the other side at a 90° angle.

See schematic:

Theta impact vs exit

I think a lot of players would enjoy the game more if this behaviour was accurately implemented into the game.

I have designed a simple mathematical model that allows to link the striking angle, resistance/effective thickness of the target to the exit angle of the projectile.

Here is what it’s results look like:

Spoiler

Output table

If implemented, this is going to change the gameplay and balance of the game significantly.

Here is a comparison of the behavior shown previously vs how it would play out with updated penetration mechanics:

Example 1

New Behavior Example 1

The thick frontal armour makes the shell deviate a lot from it’s initial trajectory. In this instance the crew in the turret are more likely to survive than they currently are, increasing the overall survivability against this kind of hits.

Example 2

Example 2

As you can see, the relatively thin side armour did not significantly alter the shell’s trajectory. The effect is smaller in this case.

There you go. Vote and comment.

Would you support a suggestion to implement this feature into the game?
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • Other (comment).
0 voters
2 Likes

Id love to see accurate post pen damage and volumetric. however I doubt that if it was put to a vote it would become a feature, especially after APHEs vote to test a change got shot down by a massive margin, this change would mean players need to think a little more so would cause uproar because people don’t understand geometry and refraction

3 Likes

Honestly, I would need to see more data and research on this topic. The picture you’ve provided of the real life tests makes it hard to tell if the round is simply tumbling after penetrating (from what I’ve seen of simulations, conventional AP round rotate upwards when hitting the armor plate, and then downwards when exiting) or the trajectory has been actually diverted.

Not to mention how different rounds might just perform completely differently in this regard.

1 Like

You need to add better sources to your claim. I’m aware that rounds do infact normalise, but not all rounds are not produced equally, and will all normalise differently, depending on several factors (Caps, Caliber, etc). Its pretty clear that a singular equation wouldn’t accurately represent round normalisation upon penetration, unless you can prove it otherwise.

1 Like

Edit: I did some more research and apparently normal projectiles normalize only sometimes, while in other situations they dont.

See these two photos:

Normalization

No Normalization

Spoiler

Spoiler

Exit Angle 2

Spoiler

Spoiler

Big text

Perhaps this is linked to whether the frontal portion of the projectile remains intact or shatters leaving a blunter shape, like here:

Spoiler

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7se7ORRiAU

or here:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlzfBKxmvlo

We can see the same behavior with APFSDS here:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-Vi4unTLQ

Spoiler

Exit angle LRP

Perhaps, if and by how much the shell will normalize after exiting the armour is linked not only to it’s residual penetration but also the T/D ratio. A large caliber low velocity shell attacking a thin plate will penetrate by pushing a plug of armour out of the back, which would promote it to turn in the direction of least resistance, which is this very direction.

Anyway, looking at the poll results, I’m glad so many people here are still enthusiastic about improving the realism of this game, but it seems that there is still a lot of work to be done before an accurate model of this behavior is built.

Yeah, good luck with that

1 Like

A man can dream