I need a bit of help with the F-14

Hey all, I have got no idea how to use the new F-14, I cannot use Phoenix’s because they suck more than anything, the AIM-9Ps are absolutely horrendous, and the only good thing about it is the cannon which you can’t use when there’s 6 people on you because your team dies in the first furball. Now I’m not new to top tier, I grinded Britain to 13.7 and Japan to 13.0 (that was pain) and honestly at 12.3 I’d rather use a Phantom than an F-14 because they’re actually good. Anyone got any tips?

And yes I already know I’m not good at the game

Fly insanely high, get breif locks and spam your phoenix missiles, land and resupply, repeat. Take advantage of this for as long as you can because the Tomcat spam is bloody horrendous for the rest of us and will be nerfed into the ground as soon as gaijin plays their game for once

Doesn’t work because everyone knows how to dodge Phoenix’s and I have to maintain a lock till they’re at 16 km no?

no you can unlock from a single target, the radar and onboard computer systems will do the work for you, you’re free to lock a new target and fire as soon as you’ve fired at your first one, just like with AMRAAM. there’s still a firm chance that a phoenix will either get a direct hit on people flying on the deck or that they will be hit by splash damage.

Do I need to use TWS for that or?

any way you prefer to get a radar lock on someone, whichever works best for you

oh interesting. I usually just use SRC PD thanks for the help, have you any other tips?

1 Like

the best advice i can give you really is for after you’re finished with hailing down phoenix missiles on others, avoid a turnfight at all costs, you’re easy food for F16, F15 and the few skilled harriers once you’re down low with them so avoid having any head on or on your flank

1 Like

TLDR: Play it like you play the F3, but its even worse :P

I havent played it yet, but when I do, Im going to try and aim them at those either rushing the bases or those trying to edge skirt. Assuming those are more likely to be the premies that dont really know what htey are doing

ive noticed that a lot of the less skilled players go straight down the middle while the stronger ones will hug the water on suez and golan or go super wide on spain, probably best to target them as they know where to position themselves

Haven’t tried in sim yet, but both sides is purely F-14s trying to phoenix spam or higher level players trying to dogfight. Nobody is going for bases

I think you don’t completely understand how fox 3s work.
First of all, a TWS “lock” is sufficient to completely guide the missile. You can switch to different targets, and the radar will do its job of remembering who is who, and update the missiles accordingly. there is a max limit to how many targets a radar can update, and it’s different for each aircrafts. I think the f14 should be at least 4, but I don’t actually know for this one exactly.
If the missile goes active (16km for the phoenix iirc), then radar lock is absolutely useless
If you decide to not bother keeping a lock above 16km and turn around, the on board systems of each missile will decide where to go depending on last known location and speed of their target. So, let’s say it’s the beginning of a match and all the enemy team is taking off and flying straight to the battlefield, your missile will have no issue finding their targets.

Enjoy the f14 spam while it last (I don’t play it, but I don’t play War Thunder much recently, so I don’t care how toxic the player base get lol)

when i use AMRAAMS i use a quick lock, fire, unlock and wait for the AMRAAMS own radar to take over before turning and getting the hell out of there, it works pretty well