Hull Armor of the M1 Abrams

We know for a fact the NGAP armor for sepv3 started testing in 2015.
NEA

if gaijin wanted to take something from this they could say the USMC tanks had DU hull but Army not. (highly unlikely but something they could interpret from the data shown if they chose to.)

Accept at the time of the testing the operationally realistic threats are IEDs.

1 Like

It still confirms they started testing the armor back in 2015 even if it was tested against IEDs at the time.

True. I don’t know if DU will be the answer for IED protection. SEPv3 is to be a response to the Armata tank as well. (Does that mean DU to counter it? IDK.)

The armor upgrades could be something completely new that doesn’t use DU at all. (I think I remember someone saying the new tanks dropped DU entirely for a new package that was “better”. But I am not scrolling back up to verify that message.)

I still haven’t found whatever primary source that Spookston used to claim the SEPv3 definitely had DU in the hull. That one will forever leave me scratching my head.

Yeah that one had me confused I guess he took NEA as that?

Back in 2015 it was still a new and maturing program for sepv3, and that doc is very out dated. It’s pretty obvious that the new armor is meant to counter new threats like the Armata like you said. I mean you literally can physically see that they had to extend the turret cheeks and hull out further to fit the new package in. It’s pretty big upgrade which the army constantly touts.

There is no question about the armor being upgraded. What it was is the question. was it just thicker chobam?

I mean we will probably never know but it could be entirely new armor composition all together.

1 Like

At this point I really hate that Gaijin making the SEPv2 a separate tank. all it is in game is the TUSKII package. I would rather have that as a removable which would then literally just be a SEP.

Information will probably come out after the Abrams is replaced entirely.

Yep, Sepv2 was a scam tank in my opinion they could of at least gave it aps because as of now it’s a worse Sepv1 because its heavier. I wish they just added sepv3 instead because we know for a fact the armor was upgraded.

7 Likes

Heavier and has a large shot trap for HE on the top of it.

No I’ve seen that it’s from August something 2006, I just haven’t seen the earlier licenses from like 2015 about the Army handling the Marine’s DU materials.

The license from 2016 doesn’t say hulls so they’ll just say ‘tanks’ and ‘turrets’ mean the same thing. I’m sounding awfully doomer but I have looked through a lot of documents and Gaijin’s responses to them and if it does not say “hull” (for example, if it just says “frontal armor” - even if frontal is used later on in the document to describe the hull of a tank) they won’t accept it.

wait since the marine DU tanks Possesed under the US army license for DU, wouldnt that mean that in theory that DU limit of 5 hulls wouldve been applied to marine tanks also? and isnt the presence of DU in the hull of the m1a1 SA very probable already?

the Trophy not being on it is absolutely stupid, we know it had it as a matter of fact,

Yes they would fall under the same restrictions. Honestly tank/turret really probably mean just turret. I have seen people saying they know the Marine tanks have it but I haven’t seen documents confirming.

Regardless if they add the DU hulls gameplay-wise it would change anything, I would love to see a buff to the hulls but it wouldn’t make a huge difference. they should give the sep v2 removable tusk and give it APS(Trophy). Additionally, the turret ring is a major weak spot, which I never realized as a USA main until I started playing other nations. I hope seeing the USSR win rate under 50% gaijin will make changes to top tier.

If they are refusing to give the tank DU hull cause “it was only on test vehicles” I doubt they will give it Trophy which was deferentially only on test vehicles.