Hughes AN/APG-65 radar series - Technical data and discussion

(WIP)

Specifications (AN/APG-65)
Antenna gimbal limit:

• Azimuth: ±70°
  • Elevation: ±60°

Scale:

• Range: 5/10/20/40/80/160 nm (9/19/37/74/150/300 km)
  • Azimuth: 20/45/90/140°

Elevation scan pattern: 1/2/4/6 bar
Beamwidth: 3.3°
Scan rate: 65°/s
Frequency: I band
Waveform: HPRF, MPRF, LPRF, Interleaved
A/A radar mode:

• Range While Scan (SRC PD)
    - Range: ~80 nm (150 km)

- Waveform: HPRF, MPRF, Interleaved

• Velocity Search (SRC PDV HDN)
    - Range: ~100 nm (185 km)

- Waveform: HPRF

• Track While Scan (TWS PD)
    - Range: ~40 nm (74 km)

- Max No. of target tracks: 10 (8 displayed)

- Waveform: HPRF, MPRF, Interleaved

• Single Target Track (TRK PD)
  • Boresight (ACM PD)
    - Range: 500 ft ~ 10 nm (0.15 ~ 18.5 km)

- Scan area: 3.3° × 3.3°

• Vertical Acquisition (ACM PD)
    - Range: 500 ft ~ 10 nm (0.15 ~ 18.5 km)

- Scan area: ±5.3° in azimuth, -14° ~ +60° in elevation (10.6° × 74°)

Variants

• AN/APG-65: Base version. Installed on F/A-18A/B/C/D before Lot 16(1992).
  • AN/APG-65(V)2: Modified version for AV-8B Harrier II Plus. Has smaller antenna due to the radome sizes, which results in 10% lower performance.
  • AN/APG-65GY: Modified version for F-4F ICE and F-4E AUP.
  • AN/APG-73 RUG I: Phase I upgraded version, using modules from AN/APG-70 for 7~20% longer detection range and enhacned ECCM, etc. Installed on F/A-18C/D since 1992, and later retrofitted to earlier F/A-18C/D and some F/A-18A/B.
  • AN/APG-73 RUG II: Phase II upgraded version with improved air-to-ground capabilities. Installed on Lot 20 F/A-18C/D and F/A-18E/F.
  • AN/APG-79: AESA radar based on AN/APG-73. Installed on F/A-18E/F aircrafts with improved forward fuselage called ECP 6038, and EA-18G.
  • AN/APG-79(V)4: Scaled-down APG-79 for F/A-18C/D. The first American airborne AESA fire control radar featuring gallium nitride technology.
  • MSD-2000: Improved APG-65, proposed for EFA programme.
  • Raytheon Advanced Combat Radar: Scaled-down APG-79 for F/A-18C/D. Initially offered for the U.S. Marine Corps’ F/A-18C/D radar upgrade, but eventually replaced with APG-79(V)4.

Sources

Spoiler

1. ADA142103 F/A-18 AN/APG-65 Radar Case Study Report by Paul F. Goree
Spoiler

1. An Illustrated Guide to Modern Fighter Combat (1987) by Mike Spick
Spoiler

1. McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet (Classic Warplanes) by Mike Spick
Spoiler

1. F-18 Hornet in detail & scale Part 1: Developmental & Early Production Aircraft (D&S Vol. 6) by Don Linn
Spoiler

1. WarbirdTech Series Volume 31: Boeing F/A-18 Hornet by Brad Elward
Spoiler

1. Aviation Classics Issue 23
Spoiler

1. Risk Management Lessons Learned from the APG-79 Radar Test Planning and Execution from VX-31
Spoiler

1. Chapter 1 Radar Fundamentals by 곽영길
Spoiler

1. Fighter Aircraft Avionics Part III by Solo Hermelin
Spoiler

1. ADP014165 Affordable Evolution: Engineering Change Proposal [ECP] 6038 F/A-18E/F Forward Fuselage Structural Certification by Mark K. Holly
8 Likes

2 Likes

This is very good work. May I cite this forum post for a suggestion post on the F-4 ICE?

2 Likes

Sure thing!

2 Likes

Could you point out to me please where the APG-65 is said to be interleaved?

Spoiler

Here it is.

4 Likes

Currently as of 2.29.0.7
Beam width in elevation is wrong
Range scale is wrong
Azimuth scan zone is 140/60/20, should be 140/90/45
Bar Scan should be 1/2/4/6

7 Likes

According to the Forecast International’s report on APG-73 and Asian Defence Journal:

Spoiler

When comparing the signal processors, the APG-73 has more than eight times the throughput of the APG-65. This results in higher doppler resolution and better ECCM performance.

2 Likes

Hello ! I was wondering why the AV-8B+ doesn’t have the same amraam path indicator as the F-16C for example and I was also looking for stats on how many fox-3 the radar could guide at the same time (the radar correction channels)

Do you have any kind of answer to those questions ?
(My main guess was that the radar was a bit too old for those systems but I might be wrong)

I have no clue about the missile path indicator. APG-65Q is an old radar compared to the more advanced variants like APG-73, but that may not be related to this issue.

For the radar correction channels, currently it is unlimited.

1 Like

It means that we can use all the missile at once ?

Good luck trying to get gaijin model a radar right. At most is 120 km range

3 Likes

Unless you find a russian/soviet source that says otherwise

2 Likes

@k_stepanovich
Even more proof. From apg-65

Spoiler

2024-07-10 (2)

Spoiler

Though it’s stated that new waveform is required, compatible for the sparrow.
Might be due to the apg-65 using Range Gated HPRF (in between MPRF and HPRF) which isn’t optimal/compatible rather than a normal HPRF STT the apg-63 used, which would have been close to 40-50% duty ratio and higher PRF. To get maximum energy for the seeker and prevent ambiguity issues.

Spoiler

Either way, the radar system switches to PDI( which is HPRF ) when the sparrow is selected and the target is within 120% Rmax. Exactly how the apg63 does in the F-15’s -34 but no indication of PDI mentioned in any document from this type.

2024-07-10 (3)

So for the F18, it doesn’t change exactly when the missile is fired but much before so no indication when a missile is launched. Exactly how the apg63 does in the F-15 -34

4 Likes

APG-65s are missing (no surprise) along with many others TWS in HPRF

Spoiler

2024-07-10 (5)

And to launch a sparrow you don’t need to go STT then initiate the launching, the radar itself with transfer to STT and fire the missile, saving a second or two in reaction time

Spoiler

2024-07-10 (6)

2 Likes

Should the AV-8B+ have datalink and multiple missile guidance? The report suggests the -65 has the TWS and thus the guidance capability like the F-14 does, but it also has the: “Priority Target” disclaimer, which might have been for Aim-7 purposes.

Does anyone know?

F/A-18C plus modernised AN/APG-65 radar ?