How to use FOX-3 missiles (literally how?)

Ok, I have tryed to look up videos, and tryed to google it. The only thing I can find is “where to positions” or “how to dodge”.
All of that, i know.
I want to know how you get from your normal radar to the fox3 radar. In YT videos everyone uses them but no one explains how to get to this stage.
The radar i mean is the one you use to lock targets form like 30-50km away.
I have pictures here so you know what i mean.

This first picture shows how it looks like for me.

This second picture shows my settings for radar stuff.

This last image shows how I want it to look / how it looks in YT videos.

I have unlocked the F-14 now with the event, and wanted to use the Aim-54, but dont know how.
Pls help.

1 Like

When you’re flying, press the Y menu, then option 1, then theres an option for changing radar type, I believe you’ll want the TWS, you’ll see it change above the radar. Once you’ve set that, youll have to hit the option to Lock Radar. I recommend keybinds for this.

2 Likes

In the bottom corner you can see it says 9km, that’s your ACM range, you can’t lock anything outside of 9km.

Switch radar modes a few times until it says TWS HDN (Track while scan head on), change your radar range until it says somewhere around 90km. Lock targets in TWS mode regularly to fire at around 35 km.

1 Like

the cone vs square look is only cosmetical and can be changed in options “use rectangular radar indicator”.

The key binds you want are:

• change mode (for different modes to find targets in different situations (doppler, straight search, heading TWS etc) and TWS “track while scan” to send ARH missiles in “stealth mode” and give no radar warning to enemy)

• change scope scale (changes how far the radar can see/show you targets)

• change search mode (for how much of the screen to scan, larger takes longer to scan but sees more of the sky, smaller is faster to both scan and update target location in TWS but sees less of the sky)

• select target to lock (switches which plane to target on the radar)

• lock on target (hard radar lock, gives Radar warning signal to enemy but gives a more exact location to the missile)

Edit:
there is also a “test” button below the ARH modification you can press to get a short tutorial

2 Likes

Hi. Thanks, I did it in the test flight and it worked. Thanks for your help comrade.

2 Likes

There is a youtube content creator named “Tim’s Variety.” He has a very in depth guide about radar. I recommend watching it. Bring a snack. It’s a long video but it covers everything that you want to know.

In general most players will use the radar scope on the right to search for and attack opponents from beyond visual range. However, at ranges where nametags are visible, most players swap their radars over to “Air Combat Mode” (ACM) that way they can simply lock whatever opponent is directly in front of them.

1 Like

Hi. So I have tested it now a lot in Custom battles against Bots. And its works. Thanks comrade!

3 Likes

Ah, yes. Tims Variety is a really good content creator. I didn’t know he made a video about radar tho. Thanks for the recommendation comrade.

I watched his video to understand the Mig29-G radar, keybinds make it oh so much better!

1 Like

POV : Average warthunder Top Tier Air player setup.

2 Likes

Try playing it on controller lmao

2 Likes