How to play F-86 against MiG-21, Su-25 and F-104?

F2P currently, not planning to pay for the game which only brings suffer

Ok. Sales are coming up soon and to help ease the pain I would buy premium account when it is half. This will speed up your progression

not sure how to use 104, seems to be a brick, and at the speeds it gets, i have questions how to hit with the gun

99k rp away from it atm

Well you should just boom in zoom fly super low or super high and put yourself behind them and use your missiles. Also there is a lot of YouTube videos on the F104.

i see
it’s just the aiming which makes me wonder

Your faster then pretty much everybody so just dive and fire when there distracted

1 Like

It’s simple: you don’t.

In all seriousness, it’s really rough. Moving the F-104s to 9.3 was an insane choice and now all the vehicles at the F-86’s BR suffer for it. The F-86s and all the stuff around it are moving down though so it’ll get easier.

Okay… F-104 is easy, you just turn in one direction going perpendicular to the approaching F-104, then change your direction when they’re close enough and their rudder prevents them from from getting guns on; It’s difficult to explain but if you understand it it’s easy once you know it.
You can attempt a scissor corkscrew if you have AIM-9Bs so you’re on they’re tail and that’s an attempted frag in your favor.

Su-25… you don’t, it out-dogfights even F-5Cs that are dumb enough to turnfight it.
Mig-21… I don’t remember how to do this or if it’s possible. I know I did this when I was in my LIM-5P and Ariete, but I can’t remember how.

1 Like

Force an overshoot. The MiG-21 accelerates like a rocket and you can use that against it. Forcing an overshoot is not that hard. You need to make sure you have a good amount of speed to start with. Then, wait until it gets close, and then slam the airbreaks and pull hard in any direction that is not up. Use that incredible F-86 roll rate to your advantage. Once you’ve forced an overshoot, if it’s close enough, you have 50 cals. so just spray and pray. Even if it’s gotten too far away for you to kill, you are the bare minimum will still have made it not behind you.

1 Like

damn that’s demoralising

hey so you said you are playing the Japanese Saber right? is it the one that gets 4 Aim-9b’s?

How, you ask?

That’s the neat part: You don’t.

If you don’t want to deal with uptiers, SimEC is always available.

You play it like a Zero pretty much. The F-104 and MiG-21 are kings who only have to fight you if they feel like it, but they aren’t going to be that good at killing you if they decide to try, especially the MiG with its 60 rounds of ammo coming out of a single gun. You’re maneuverable enough that they won’t easily kill you without dropping a lot of speed. It’s kind of a standoff really, unless you’re beset on all sides by enemies but most planes struggle in that kind of situation. Not an ideal situation no matter what and if it’s down to you versus a supersonic at the end of the game you basically can’t do anything but force a headon. This kind of situation happens to me in the Zero all the time too though, tbf.

As for the Su-25, they aren’t a huge issue as long as you climb. You should always be climbing in every plane and at every tier below 11.0 imo. The Su-25 and A-10 are not going to come up to 4-6k to fight you. They will stay low, head for a base, and shoot their missiles at any flareless chumps who DIDN’T climb. Knowing this, you can pretty much assure that you’ll never be in these guys’ sights, and by the middle-end of the match they’ll be slow, missileless, and begging to be energy trapped. I honestly don’t think these all-aspect equipped attackers are anywhere near as dangerous as people say.

I didn’t play much of the first Japanese F-86, much preferred the foldered version as it has a bit of a better engine(I think) and 4 Aim-9b’s

you have to grind them

For the Su-25, you handily outperform it. Just avoid giving it a rear-aspect shot with its R-60Ms and you’ll be fine. Keep your distance and maybe carry some rockets to use as flares, those work great in front aspects.

For the MiG-21, it’s faster, but doesn’t have great acceleration. If you have an energy advantage, it won’t be able to outrun you and definitely won’t outturn you, ESPECIALLY in sustained fight.

The F-104 you’ll never be able to catch, so don’t really bother trying. However, it takes 3 years to turn, so a split-S will always beat it out. You can’t really kill it, but it also can’t really kill you, so long as you’re paying attention and flying defensively.

Another thing- while the F-104 and MiG-21 can outrun you, that can’t outrun your bullets. If you get a chance, hose them down. The Sabre has plenty of ammo and the .50s will tear through engines and flight controls.

1 Like