How does a single 20mm shell sheer off a B-29 wing?

That hasn’t broken the wing spar. Which is the whole point of this conversation

1 Like

TLDR; when playing bombers; Don;t get hit.

2 Likes

That’s the rules for anything really right? Survivability onion and all that

I dont know too much about yank bombers but I know those alloys were used only as skin for spitfires and lancasters. usually steel or wood skeletons for our planes

1 Like

War thunder isnt quite true to reality, but that bomber is coming down from that hit, not to mention you’re not throwing only one bullet at a bomber in a strafing run.

Yeah that bomber is coming down. In a couple hours if it’s just a singular hit

I actually just fired a couple rounds (little tap on the trigger) from 20mm Hispano air belts into the wing/engine area of the B-29, completely set the thing ablaze and the plane went spiraling down.

I can confirm this is the case, B-29 is incredibly fragile. Meanwhile I hit a Me-262 in mixed grb and only get a few visible sparks.

3 Likes

Again, lucky shot. In most cases a singular shot is probably not enough, the shooter just got lucky to hit a very important structure.

Yeah you didn’t even need to hit the wing spar to blow the wing off. Sucks to be a bomber

There is arguably a pretty solid chance the bomber would make it back in spite of the hit

Sometimes the big guy wins though.

I don’t really know how they could fix bombers. They’re outliers in a fighter v fighter game mode.

They’d need a completely separate gamemode just for them.

Sometimes. Assuming his guns actually do damage. It it’s a TU4, very different story lol

The thing is, bombers are great in sim, because the survivability onion works there.

a black part on a wing completely ends your flight unless you’re in a plane with crazy flaps to counter the loss of left from that wing something like a harrier or the insane performance of the mk24 spitfire, that B29 is death spiralling within a few seconds

Not really. They are a separate game within the overall game, just like the whole “fighter v fighter game” is relative to the mission objectives are usually.

In game or in real life. Because real life certainly shows otherwise

in real life theres wires, hydraulic pipes and fuel lines that would also be hit, it would go up in flames and see a very quick and violent demise from a hit in that area, if the initial shot doesn’t rip the wing off, structural damage from the flames would weaken the struts guaranteeing the wing sheers off

I mean no, not really? Like sure, the fuel tanks are certainly leaking, but the shell has by and large missed the fuel system, which is located toward the front of the wing

a fuel line damaged by an explosive shell is going to cause a fuel fire. That plane is melted scrap on the ground