HNoMS Sleipner

HNoMS Sleipner


CLASS: 1rst class gunboat
TYPE: Gunboat
BUILDING SITE: Karljohansværns Værft, Horten
NAVY SHIP LIST NUMBER: Serial number 53
BUILD NUMBER: 56
CONSTRUCTION COST: 751 935.18 Norwegian Kroner included weapons
LAUNCHED: 7 August 1877
HOIST COMMAND: 20 May 1878

ARMAMENT
1870 Early

Spoiler
  • 1x 260mm Krupp Breech loading cannon
    -Caliber: 260mm L/22 NO1
    -Mechanism: Falling block breech
    -Manufacturer: Fried Krupp
    -Serial Number: 1093
    -Cannon built in: 1879
    -Weight: 22.000 Metric tons
    -Total Length: 5720 Millimeter
    -Barrel length: 4940 Millimeter
    -Barrel length in caliber: 22
    -Rifling: 60 Parabolic and Helicoidal with parallel sides
    -Mounting: Center pivot with hydraulic valve brake and gear exchange for windage and elevation
    -Placement: The cannon was placed as a forward gunner in a light tower
    -Material: Cast steel in hardened oil with 2 alga mantles

  • 1x 150mm Krupp Breech loading cannon
    -Caliber: 149.1mm L/25 NO1
    -Material: Cast steel in hardened oil
    -Manufacturer: Fried Krupp, essen
    -Weight: 4.000 Kilograms
    -Total Length: 3850 Millimeter
    -Barrel length: 3430 Millimeter
    -Barrel length in caliber: 25
    -Rifling: 36 Parabolic and Helicoidal with parallel sides
    -Mounting: Mid-pivot sled footing with hydraulic valve brake. Lateral direction by pulleys and vertical direction by gears, old system.
    -Placement: The cannon placed as bow gunner aft without protection

  • 2x 37mm Hotchkiss Revolvercannons
    -Caliber: L/20
    -Placement/mount: Placed on the front bridge in shields of 5mm special steel
    -Armor: 5mm shield with special steel

  • 1x 12.17mm Palmkrantz-Winborg machinegun
    -Barrels: 10x Horisontal
    -Caliber: 12.17mm L/41

  • 1x 35.6cm Underwater torpedotube
    -Torpedo: M1876 Withehead Class IV3
    -Size: 35.6cm

1870 Late

Spoiler
  • 1x 260mm Krupp Breech loading cannon
    -Caliber: 260mm L/22 NO1
    -Mechanism: Falling block breech
    -Manufacturer: Fried Krupp
    -Serial Number: 1093
    -Cannon built in: 1879
    -Weight: 22.000 Metric tons
    -Total Length: 5720 Millimeter
    -Barrel length: 4940 Millimeter
    -Barrel length in caliber: 22
    -Rifling: 60 Parabolic and Helicoidal with parallel sides
    -Mounting: Center pivot with hydraulic valve brake and gear exchange for windage and elevation
    -Placement: The cannon was placed as a forward gunner in a light tower
    -Material: Cast steel in hardened oil with 2 alga mantles

  • 1x 150mm Krupp Breech loading cannon
    -Caliber: 149.1mm L/25 NO1
    -Material: Cast steel in hardened oil
    -Manufacturer: Fried Krupp, essen
    -Weight: 4.000 Kilograms
    -Total Length: 3850 Millimeter
    -Barrel length: 3430 Millimeter
    -Barrel length in caliber: 25
    -Rifling: 36 Parabolic and Helicoidal with parallel sides
    -Mounting: Mid-pivot sled footing with hydraulic valve brake. Lateral direction by pulleys and vertical direction by gears, old system.
    -Placement: The cannon placed as bow gunner aft without protection

  • 2x 37mm Hotchkiss Revolvercannons
    -Caliber: L/20
    -Barrels: 5x
    -Placement/mount: Placed on the front bridge in shields of 5mm special steel
    -Armor: 5mm shield with special steel

  • 1x 12.17mm Palmkrantz-Winborg machinegun
    -Barrels: 10x Horisontal
    -Caliber: 12.17mm L/41

  • 1x 35.6cm Underwater torpedotube
    -Torpedo: M1887 Withehead Class IV3
    -Size: 35.6cm

1900 Remodeled

Spoiler
  • 1x 150mm Krupp Breech loading cannon
    -Caliber: 149.1mm L/25 NO1
    -Material: Cast steel in hardened oil
    -Manufacturer: Fried Krupp, essen
    -Weight: 4.000 Kilograms
    -Total Length: 3850 Millimeter
    -Barrel length: 3430 Millimeter
    -Barrel length in caliber: 25
    -Rifling: 36 Parabolic and Helicoidal with parallel sides
    -Mounting: Mid-pivot sled footing with hydraulic valve brake. Lateral direction by pulleys and vertical direction by gears, old system.
    -Placement: The cannon placed as bow gunner aft without protection

  • 2x 76mm Armstrong rapid firing cannons
    -Caliber: 76mm L/40
    -Placement: Without protection such as side guns
    -Manufacturer: Armstrong

  • 2x 65mm M/II Hotckiss rapid firing cannons
    -Caliber: 65mm L/45
    -Placement: Without protection such as side guns
    -Manufacturer: Hotchkiss

  • 2x 37mm Hotchkiss Revolvercannons
    -Caliber: 37mm L/20
    -Barrels: 5x
    -Placement/mount: Without protection on the aft bridge

  • 2x 37mm Hotchkiss Revolvercannons
    -Caliber: L/20
    -Barrels: 5x
    -Placement/mount: Placed on the front bridge in shields of 5mm special steel
    -Armor: 5mm shield with special steel

  • 1x 35.6cm Underwater torpedotube
    -Torpedo: M1887 Withehead Class IV3
    -Size: 35.6cm

TECHNICAL DATA
Displacement: 720 Metric tons fully loaded
length: 53,3 Meter
Width: 7,9 Meter
Depth: 2,9 Meter

MACHINERY
SAILING
Setup: 2 Master rigged as a topsail schooner with a jib jib
Sail area: 4,045 square feet
MACHINE
2x Horizontal compound machines with surface densities of 700 Indicated Hortsepowers
6x Cylindrical tube boilers
Propellers: 2x
Bunker: 83 “stone” coal

SPEEDS
For machine alone: 12,7 Knots (23.52 Km/h)
For sailing alone: 8 Knots (14.81 Km/h)
For engine and full sail guidance: 13.4 Knots (24.81 Km/h)

ARMOR
Hull material: Steel

CREW
Estimated crew before refurnishing and refitting: 83 men
Estimated crew after refitting and redecoration 1900: 90 men
The size of the crew varied between: 64 and 97 men during the various voyages as gunboat 1st class.
The size of the crew varied between: 107 and 159 men during the various voyages as a cadet vessel.

TIMELINE OF IMPORTANT EVENTS
1887: Launched the 7th of Agust
1878: Hoist command the 20th of May
1881: Department trip
1892: Coastal Defense Department tour 1892, -95
1895: Mobilization exercises
1899: Cadet tour 1899, 1900, -01, -02, -03, -05, -06, -08
1900: Squadron trip to Copenhagen
1906: Remodeled
1908: Participated in the squadron at the coronation of King Haakon VII and Queen Maud in Trondheim 13 June
1915: Squadron tour
1923: Used as an accommodation ship for, among other things, the Navy’s Flying School
1925: Deportation ship
1932: Recruiting exercises 1925, -26, -27, -28, -29, -30, -31, -32, -33
1935: Scrapped and scrapped

HISTORY
This was built during the Norwegian/Swedish union, and has therefore been using the union flag for a while, so this would have the option to hoist both

BRIEF
The 1st class gunboat, Sleipner, was the first step in this period in the direction of seagoing vessels to supplement the cumbersome archipelago defence. Sleipner was easily recognizable by its long wooden chimneys. It also had a schooner rig. In 1900, the vessel was partially rebuilt and received new fittings.

Sleipner was Norway’s first vessel equipped with launch tubes for Whitehead torpedoes.

From 1899 Sleipner was used as a cadet ship. In 1915 it was decommissioned as a warship and transferred to an accommodation ship. As such, it was used right up until 1940, among other things for the Navy’s flying school.

GUNBOATS OF THE FIRST CLASS
While the primary task of second-class gunboats was the invasion defense of the archipelago, a need was also seen for a number of larger gunboats that would be able to protect the lines of communication along the coast. First-class gunboats therefore had to be so large and seaworthy that they could engage in battle along the entire coast and in all kinds of weather. At the same time, they were both to have great self-protection and powerful enough gunfire to challenge larger armored vessels. After some discussion about the choice of solution, it was first chosen to take the Swedish Blenda type as a starting point, and after this the Sleipner was built in 1877. The Sleipner was a relatively long and narrow schooner rig and three chimneys. It was the first Norwegian vessel to receive the new 26cm breech-loading gun from Krupp. The projectile here had a copper ring around the bottom and when this was pressed against the relatively small rifles (36 pieces), the copper was pressed together so that a corresponding track was formed on the projectile. This gave a smooth rotation and utilization of all gunpowder gas. The cannon, which was manned by 16 men, had a hydraulic recoil brake and it stood on a swiveling slide under a turret in the front of the vessel.

Norway was early on with this innovation, as the Swedes first adopted it in 1882, and the conservative British waited another two years. Then our foreman Steenstrup was also a pioneer in the area. Aft, the Sleipner had an unprotected 15 cm cannon of the same type. It was also the first larger vessel to be equipped with a torpedo (built into the bow). It also had somewhat less gunnery-style self-protection, but it was not armored and thus relatively unprotected.

It was realized quite early on that Sleipner was not the solution to the tasks that first-class gunboats were supposed to solve. The Daden was rebuilt as a cadet ship in 1900, it had only been outfitted 6 times, of which the last three were after the refit in 1895. During the rebuilding, the rigging was changed and the sail guidance was looped. The big gun was taken ashore and so was the torpedo equipment. It retained its classification as a first class gunboat. When they then had the opportunity to build new first-class gunboats with Viking (1891) and Frithjof (1895), they chose vessels that were significantly larger, and which, in addition to modern weapons, also had armored decks, armored command towers and waterline protection as for Æger. The fact that they were finished at a time when the importance of a strong naval defense had dawned on the politicians meant that they were frequently equipped, and until we got the armored ships they were, in a sense, our flagships. Viking was both somewhat smaller and older than Frithjof, who was, however, originally somewhat weaker equipped. They were both somewhat upgraded in 1905, but their biggest problem was that they had too low a speed in relation to both their own and enemy vessels. They therefore had to a greater extent get a role where they operated alone with tasks against single ships and enemy merchant ships. In 1904, the two vessels had their artillery modernized and the double torpedo cannon on deck were removed. During the mobilization in 1905, Frithjof and Viking were sent to Bergen. Frithjof and Viking sent to Bergen as a security force together with some torpedo boats, while Sleipner more or less alone made up the force in Trondheim.

During the First World War, Sleipner was converted into a lodging and depot ship based in Melsomvik. After the war, this function continued, primarily for the Marines Air Force, until it was finally disposed of before the war. During the First World War, Viking and Frithjof were again based in Western Norway, where they gradually switched to serving on the coast of Finnmark. Viking was decommissioned as a warship and transferred to the Red Cross as a hospital ship as early as 1920. Frithjof, which had already been converted to a cadet ship before the war, continued this service until it was decommissioned and sold to us in 1929.

BEFORE REMODELIG


-Model ship

AFTER REMODELING


BLUEPRINTS - BUILDING DRAWINGS




260mm Krupp Breech loading cannon

150mm Krupp Breech loading cannon

On display


PICTURES

Spoiler

HNoMS Sleipner — ImgBB

SOURCES

Spoiler

MAIN SOURCE (limited acess)
Nasjonalbiblioteket

POLL

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

This post was made by
Til_Dovre_Faller
Also known as
Warthunder_Norway