Help! How do I fly the F9F-8

Howdy everyone! I’m having trouble with flying the F9F-8. I am almost spaded but am still struggling to even keep a 1:1 K/D and my matches are very hit or miss. I know K/D isn’t everything but I can generally do better than this. Also I have never played the previous F9F’s

A few things that I need help with are the following.

How do I use these Aim-9B’s??? The enemies fly in a straight line and missiles somehow still miss. Weather it’s too slow to catch a target or they go for flares.

How do I dogfight in it? I can’t seem to dogfight anyone or anything in it. It looses speed so fast in any sort of turn and I can’t seem to gain the speed back to out live the dogfight. I was in a dogfight earlier today and my target was super slow and yet somehow I still couldn’t get my nose on point and keep my speed up.

How do I aim the guns? This one’s not quite as bad as most of my kills are with the guns but I still can’t seem to be able to aim with them at higher speeds.

Is it just me, or does the rudder kinda suck?? I can’t seem to bank or turn for long before the nose folds over and I can’t aim at my target.

Also, is it just me or does this thing not like taking damage?? I know a lot of planes don’t like taking damage and still flying, but this plane feels extra prone to not liking it. I had my wingtip turned yellow in a match earlier and I had to stop my plane from flat spinning 2 times. However the second time I crashed pulling out.

Overall, how do I fly it?

Please I’m in desperate need of some help! PLEASE!!!

1 Like

Sorry in advance for this being long.:)
I’m going to go into as much detail as I can sense i’m on a 10 hour drive and have shit to do.

Ok so what you want to do is to find someone dogfighting/beating your teammate. The advantage of the Aim9Bs isn’t them being a good missile but them being a missile at that BR. So when you see them climb fire it sub 1.3 km (max effective range is 1.4/5 I found). They will start to slow down so to climbing and not be able to maneuver, so it will likely hit them.(It is still an old missile so it will sometimes just miss). For enemy’s flying away from you I found it effective to dive at a degree that they will pass through you missile seeker you will then pull up keeping the seeker on them and launch it try to do around 0.9km at a fast speed (which the dive helps with).

I wouldn’t try to dogfight I would boom and zoom but if you have to you need to win the dogfight in one turn so to it being a swept wing you should try to go into 2 circle at a good speed(which equals turn speed) with the enemy if your able to if you don’t winin I wouldn’t stay in the fight I would try to dive out. In the case you go one circle(low speed fight) with the enemy you should try to bring them into a defensive spiral. To do this keep put for aircraft into SMALL dive and keep turning with them you should be able to get enough speed to get away. (YOU WILL ALMOST NEVER WIN A 1 CIRCLE AGAINST A GOOD PLAYER) Some other good maneuvers are the Lag displacement roll which you would do when you are going faster than someone trying to turn away from your guns and the rolling scissors if you are faster than them and going parallel.( I MIGHT HAVE SWITCHED 1 AND 2 CIRCLE UP SO SOMETHING IS WRONG SWITCH THEM SORRY)

Here are some pictures to help going in the order of lag displacement role, defensive spiral, rolling scissors, and a 2 circle fight.
IMG_4645
IMG_4644
IMG_4643
IMG_4642

I’m not going to say these guns are easy to aim but if you have played any aircraft with the M3s you should know they have easy to learn hard to master. I’m not perfect with them and I used a lot of 20mm in my time playing. From what I remember you should try to fire at close range because they loose speed pretty fast but I might be wrong.

Yes it does suck. It will work very well at lower speeds sub 790km but like I said above you don’t want to get slow or your lose.

I don’t really have a solution to this it is almost all early swept wing fighters that will become very bad if they lose a part of there wing.
Hopefully this helped. ;)

2 Likes

Hey it’s all good. Thanks for taking time to help in the first place. :)

Okay. That’s how I’ve gotten a few. That or kill stealing. IK it’s sad to say :( TBH I’ve been firing them at almost 2km so that’s probably why I don’t get the kills

Okay, I’ll try that too.

Okay. I just find it’s a pain in the butt to climb with it compared to other jets. side-eyes F-86, MIG-15, G.91…

Hmm okay. I’ll have to try some of these with a friend in a custom battle to get the hang of them.

Lol okay. I’ve used the M3’s with the F4U, but that’s also prop fighting and I’m a lot better at that than jets. I think that’s the only experience I’ve had with them though.

Okay. Just didn’t know if I was crazy XD

Lol thanks. I’ll just work on not getting hit. Seems like the best strategy XD

Ty it was :)

1 Like

If he has it I would have him play F86s and Migs those will be your hardest opponents.

1 Like

Mhm ok

1 Like