HDML-class Motor Launch, INS Tirtza (M-35)

Would you like to see this ship added to the game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

​Hello everyone! Time to suggest another one of the Israeli HDML boats.

This is the HDML-class Motor Launch, INS Tirtza (M-35)

Source: File:ChanaSeneshcoffintransferredM35.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

History

Spoiler

The history of this boat, or any other small guard ship of the early Israeli navy are quite obscure and uneventfull. But I will try my best to put as much information as I can in here.

INS Tirtza was a British HNML class Motor Launch, and she was purchased in Cyprus and put in service in August of 1948 with the number M-23. This means that unlike the other two HDML boats Israel operated, INS Tirtza was not left behind by the british, but was instead more properly bought by the Israeli navy at a later point.

Something rather unique Tirtza did during her career was carrying the coffin of the paratrooper Hannah Szenes. I wil not go into detail as to who this was, but she was a very interesting person to read about. And Tirtza carrying her coffin can be considered a big honor in my opinion.

The HDML ships Israel operated were in service for about 19 years, being retired in 1969.

As a guard ship Tirtza was equipped with either one or two (Sources and photos vary) 20mm autocannons for use against other small boats or light targets. Something that is interesting about these 20mm guns is that they are Oerllikon autocannons, but not the variant used by the allied forces of WW2. No instead of those, Israel can be seen using the surplus of 20mm Flak 29 Oerikon guns left over from Germany after they lost the war.

They are ofcourse identical in performance to the Allied variants. But their mounting is slightly different and it’s a fun little detail I thought I point out.

Specifications

Spoiler

Displacement: 54 tons
Length: 72 feet (22,95 meters)
Breadth: 16 feet (4,88 meters)
Draught: 5 feet (1,52 meters)
Machinery: 2 x Diesel engines
Max speed: 12 knots (22 km/h)
Complement: 12

Armament:
1 x 1 20 mm Oerlikon Flak 29
Sources say two guns, but I can only see one on the photos

Well that is all for this little boat. Many more suggestions like these to come in the future!

See you on the battlefield!

pAoBhZa.jpg
Source: File:Tirza.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Sources

Spoiler

Main source:
אח"י דרור מ-21, אח"י סער מ-23, אח"י תרצה מ-35

Secondairy source:
https://www.navypedia.org/ships/israel/isr_cf_dror.htm

Extra:
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/שייטת_הטרפדות
Category:INS Tirtza M-35 - Wikimedia Commons