Seems like a great event ! It’s a shame that a large part of the community doesn’t really care about Naval events, but oh well… Another great ship to add to the collection !
I mean given the state of naval and how Gaijin seems hell bent on removing every interesting feature and turning it into a rail shooter I can’t really blame them.
I worked on ships for a decade or so and loved naval, but have been steadily losing interest in the mode ever since the removal of engine steering and the sorry state of Yamato pretty much killed it for me.
EC isn’t even a viable option anymore as you cannot turn off “join in progress” so you just join matches where all the spawns are full of BBs (mostly pulled by people abusing the missile boat/J-out exploit) that you cannot even try to torpedo due to the invisible forcefields around the spawns
I’m honestly disappointed with the current state of the Yamato. It should be one of the ships with the highest fire survivability in the game. We have enough records and construction documentation to show that the design placed enormous importance on damage control, compartmentalization, and the isolation of damage. The Yamato had 1,147 watertight compartments and an extremely sophisticated damage-control system designed to rapidly contain and control severe damage.
That’s why it’s strange to see it in the game being practically consumed by a fire that lasts only a few seconds. A ship of this size, equipped with such a sophisticated damage-control system, should be far more resistant to the spread of fires and capable of isolating and fighting them much more effectively.
All very good points about Yamato, the Japanese knew here design would have an issue with the force transfer from the torpedo bulges causing flooding, so massive effort went into dealing with that via the methods you mentioned and other methods such as being able to counter flood compartments to maintain stability.
Even after the Americans Identified the vulnerability against Musashi and specifically tailored their attacks against Yamato to exploit it she still took staggering amounts of damage to sink.
Not to mention that the naval maps, other then EC spawn you at what is basically knife fighting range for Yamato, even in EC (ignoring the other issues) you cannot range find over 20,000m while Yamato was built for engagements at 36,000m.
I still believe that, even if the current maps aren’t sufficient to properly represent the strengths and weaknesses of the different ships and nations in the game, the Yamato should still be capable of resisting the fragments and shrapnel that cause fires or flooding during battles.
This could be addressed more appropriately if ships were divided into smaller compartments instead of only 4 or 5 large sections. Currently, having just 2 sections flooded or “destroyed” can be enough to sink the entire ship.
Of course, accurately reproducing all 1,147 compartments of the Yamato would require a tremendous amount of work, but there are ways to work around this—whether through programming or by increasing the rate at which fragments are generated inside certain ships to better represent their internal compartmentalization and damage-control characteristics.
Mentally, these are exactly the same states. The same idea of great-power status, the same contempt for others, and the same powerlessness in the face of the West.
Even just dialing down the speed of fire and flooding, I think I have only had one turret fire that I survived long enough for the alarm to sound before I detonated, it only sounded once before detonation and that was with less then a quarter ammo. Every other time it’s just instant detonation.
Yeah, I think Yamato has the least hull sections of any BB in the game, or at least of the top tier ones.
It’s frankly a joke that it’s at the same BR as the Iowa and Soybean in it’s current state.
A ship can have two black sections and multiple deep red sections but will only start to lethally flood when three are knocked out. (Not including torpedoes, bombs or an internal explosion)
Which ship?
Yamato will instantly die even with 15 rounds (between two turrets) left in the frontal magazine.
Yamato, I think you have mentioned the 15 rounds thing to me before, I was mention it more in regards to the lower ammo levels taking longer for the fire to burn down the elevators to detonate it.
But like you say I have noticed that on the rare occasion you are so low one ammo that one of the forward magazines doesn’t instantly destroy you the fire magically teleports into the second magazine detonating it too and you sink in seconds from the flooding.