General playtest of air-to-air missiles with ARH Seekers (FOX-3)

Not true,… but they target what they have in their cone, unless you guide them correctly.

You also have to understand about how the Fox-3 radar cone works.

You can also give us the view of sensors, and you’ll understand more things, than simply ranting.

2 Likes

Guiding correctly?
I use TWS for guidance, the ARH’s own radar does the terminal guidance, so there is no way for me to interfere.

The problem is that the missile seeker is switching at high speed between the two targets that are getting the radar beam reflections.
It doesn’t matter that when the missile seeker is active, it has two targets and it’s catching an unintended target.
But switching at high speed means that the two targets are not distinguishable.
Currently, SARH missiles have an angle gate rate setting to deal with this problem, but ARH missiles do not, which is why this is happening.

You used TWS in soft lock, and that’s all in the name:

Soft locking gives a general direction for the missile to be guided to. Yet, the Fox-3 missile is also equipped with it’s own radar, and thus, the missile itself searched for the target within the general direction you gave it.

→ that’s why the change of target is largely possible.

If you were locking in STT/CW, you would have the Fox-3 missile having complete illumination of where he should be going, therefore limiting that cone of the Fox-3 missile up to the moment where the radar of The missile would relay your own illumination with it’s own.

Thats exactly what you didn’t understood in the use of TWS.

Go watch your replay with the new mode of Replay, shwoing the sensors, you’ll be able to understand MUCH MORE.

1 Like

The ARH is different from the SARH missile.
Even if there is a difference in information stability between STT lock and soft lock with TWS, it does not matter because guidance is done by datalink and finally the radar of the main unit is activated to guide.
Please check the video

And as I said in my previous post, that’s not the crux of the matter.

1 Like

Well anyway,… you fire from that close(range in which the missile is automatically selecting target in front of him,…), the model is wiggling hard and you to make me believe that the lock is 100% obtainned normally,…

First of all Su-57 aren’t part of game, that’s a mod, and mods that can be the reason why it doesn’t work in 1st place.

And AGAIN,… i asked you for SENSOR VIEW,…

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t think you meant that you wanted me to post the sensor view video here based on your first reply.
I’m not good at English, so I apologize if I meant no offense.

that’s a bug that isn’t restricted to ARH as far as i’m aware. Some IR or SARH missiles tend to do that as well. It is realistic to some extent since a radar won’t be able to identify precise targets if they fly close to each other, it will just see a “blob”.

It’s quite overexaggerated in game though as far as my understanding of radar and ir seeker goes

Certainly a problem that exists in SARH, but isn’t the beam width, etc. too wide to cause this phenomenon even when the two aircraft are as far apart as in the video?
Or does it already occur at this distance in SARH?

Also, isn’t this problem mitigated in SARH by the angle gate rate setting?
I do not have a deep understanding of this.

Also, shouldn’t this generation of missiles in reality be able to recognize two targets this close separately due to the monopulse seeker?

seing the tac view, i could see it happening with a SARH too, but it’s only speculation on my part.

It should, even SARH would differentiate at this range i’d bet.

To be clear, i agree with you, in my opinion this is a bug.
A similar one is when you lock something with an ARH that isn’t selected by your radar in TWS mode.

I don’t know if any bug report has been made for this though

1 Like

Well from my pov the missile wiggling is unable to keep track of 1st target you illuminated within your cone, then the missile switched in auto mode and then tracked the 2nd target on It’s own

Your cone is in green the cone of Missile is in white.

See? Not a bug just you shoot those missile with too much off boresight and from too closed range, considering the missile wiggling.

Look closely, the red line from the missile at the moment of launch is heading toward the STT-locked target, which means the seeker is searching in that direction.
This is confirmed by the SRC notation

Next, when we get to the TRK notation, the seeker on the missile is in the middle of the two
TRK means tracking, if this is not a bug, is there something in the middle of the two aircraft?

And while it was moving towards the middle of the two, one of them went off the beamwidth and eventually hit the second target.

This is what the video shows

in this case, the target is 7km away, and the angle on the seeker head is pretty reasonable. A MICA should be able to track that no problem, hell a basic 530 should too.
Moreover, the ARH cone shown in white points for a few seconds to a point “between” the 2 aircrafts, as if it was “hesitating” if that makes sense

I feel like the red line was to indicate a radar slaving from mothership.

The white line however is the current tracking in automode.

Why? Because at the moment it tracked the 2nd target, the missile pitched up, but quickly decided to dive down on that second target, and within all that time the missile lock, in white, kept on the 2nd target.

I’m still thinking that the problem is that the missile lost the track at that range, and then switched auto mode.

Can you guys tries same approach, but from maybe 30km? And send some tacview here?

the red line corresponds to the missile being in SRC mode and scanning a particular area (here the closest aircraft). is scans this area because the data sent by the mothership’s radar told it to.

The minute the line becomes white (meaning MICA is now tracking on its own), the missile lock moves behind the first aircraft for some reason, and then it starts tracking a point “in between” the 2 aircrafts. if it had lost lock, the line would have become red which is not the case here. This means it’s indeed tracking something, and i’m speculating that “thing” is the blob formed by the 2 aircrafts. Finally as the missile approaches, the angle between the 2 aircrafts becomes more important, which means the missile doesn’t see it as one blob, but as 2 separate targets. From there on, the missile finally switches on one of the 2 targets, which in this case, isn’t the one targetted at the beginning.

I don’t have the dev server installed anymore unfortunately.

Yes, one was made

2 Likes

Thats not CRL

…Sooo… 14?

1 Like

Oops I miscounted it carries 12 amrams

Boeing is apparently developing extra pylons to allow the F-15EX to carry up to 24 AIM-120 missiles. Missile spam could most certainly get worse.

1 Like

just like the JAS37D which is a JAS37C that can carry RB99’s but they didn’t add them yet the engine is the same maneuverability is the same so gaijin keeps messing things up
so its gonna be the same with the JAS39C which in game is gonna be exactly the same as the JAS39A which it shouldn’t be but gaijin sucks at producing a worth while game