General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

yes, they did, what you have now is just the old late bicolor, the one shown in my screenshot has since been removed.
This is not a recent change, it has been done years ago.

This camouflage was introduced in the Direct hit update which Japanese ground forces got massive changes to its camouflages.

Spoiler

The only time Gaijin got a camo accurately and they scrapped it🤦

3 Likes

wow That’s a shame, I remember the modified late bicolor was the same as this image, but I didn’t even notice it was removed, and when they put the correct camo into the game I told someone “omg gaijin finally got it right for once”. Now it looks like they just swapped the bicolor and the late bicolor.🤦

1 Like

This one looks pretty green to me

There has been some discussion in the forum about conducting tests to alter the fragmentation pattern of APHE shells.

Towards the end of WWII, Japan produced a mysterious ammunition called the Type 4 AP shot, which lacked explosive filler and fuzes, for various calibers of guns. The development history of this ammunition has been partially revealed. I am introducing this in preparation for the possibility that Snail might nerf APHE shells and buff AP shots.

According to the testimony of Colonel Seiichi Imai, who was affiliated with the 1st Army Technical Research Institute that studied anti-tank guns and armor-piercing shells, they developed solid armor-piercing shells to improve penetration power. Originally, the Japanese Army used solid armor-piercing rounds without explosives for calibers ranging from 7.7 mm to 20 mm due to their small size, but this was later adopted for larger caliber guns. When an APHE shell hits armor thicker than its caliber at a very high strike velocity, the shell body can be destroyed, reducing penetration power. However, with solid AP shots, the projectile body remains intact and can penetrate. Nevertheless, it goes without saying that APHE shells are superior to AP shots in terms of damage effect inside the tank.

Source

Spoiler

“The Complete Picture of Land Warfare Weapons, Volume 1 (The Truth and Reflection of Our Military Science and Technology; No. 5)” by Haruji Suga et al. Published in 1953. Page 272.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing it!
Searching through old forum posts found the Aizenns (if i don’t mistake) about Type 4 AP shell and according those descriptions it had space inside filled with sand and that Type 4 AP was filled with sand because of poor economic situation. But the shell with space inside has the same problems with weaker structure as APHE. And according description from your book it should be full metal.
So as a result, is it full metal AP shell or AP with sand inside?

1 Like

Considering the development history, it is likely a full metal solid shot with a stronger structure than the Type 1 APHE shell. It seems to be a misunderstanding that the Type 4 AP shot was a cheap shell filled with sand instead of explosives due to a shortage of raw materials caused by the bombing. The shells filled with sand are substitute shells used for training.

2 Likes

they need to add these at some point,

F-2
South Korean line? maybe idk?
O-I super-heavy tank
Ki-46
Type-5 Ho-ru
Type-91 and Type-95 Heavy
Type 5 Ke-Ho
idk just some thoughts

5 Likes

Interesting.
In game Type 4 Kou shell weight is 6.75kg and in calculating via Gaijin method we get 154mm of penetration. I am not sure about how truly the weight of Type 4 AP is. But it looks sadly

Also, was there other Type 4 AP shots? Not only for 75mm. And is it another Type 4 AP, not the same what we have in game now?

I’d like to know what other shells we can get, and how real they are.
List of Missing Shells - General & Upcoming - War Thunder - Official Forum

It seems there are shells such as the Type 4 AP shot as you mentioned, but also the Toku Kou, Experimental 47 mm Type 1 Tungsten APHEBC, and Nickel Chromium Steel Otsu AP shel

3 Likes

These images look amazing, and I’m excited for the first time since type10 was added to the game.

8 Likes

Is the top picture of the ICV? I thought the turret was remote or is this an access hatch for the commander?

Access hatch

Properly nerfed? Blud that thing is worse than Jagtier in every way but jagtiger is 6.7 and hori is 7.3

the Ho-ri has insanely good mobility with very tricky armor and a great gun with good chunk of explosive filler and good firerate i’ve had my fun in it at 7.3 but yeah i dont think its 7.3 material maybe 7.0 at most

It has basically same role as Jagtiger. Tho Jagtiger has way better gun, armour and better max speed. I dont really see how superheavy tankdestroyer have as huge advantage that its engine has more power/ accelerates better because when you get caught flanking with both jagtiger or ho-ri then you are dead. It should be no less than 6.7 even tho its still worse than Jagtiger in all that matters for its job and ho-ri prototype should be 6.3. If 7.0 then jagtier and ferdinand should be 7.0 too.

as for max speed its subjective i have the jagdtiger and altough the gun is great i’d rather take the decently good pen of the 105 from the ho ri and the fire (ho ri production)

Japanese laws for these kinds of vehicles being transported on the road requires the commander to be turned out to maintain a view around the vehicle. Since the turret is unmanned, there is just a small space for the commander to stand during transport to comply with the laws.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the Ho-Ri can still out-accelerate the Jagdtiger, even after they nerfed the former

1 Like

yeah i’d rather take the acceleration of the ho ri since its absolutely insane how responsive it is

1 Like