Fuji AH-1S Step III Cobra «Aoi Kisurazu»

Would you like this helicopter to be added?
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • Add it as a skin to one of the AH-1S variants already in-game instead.
  • I don’t want it in general.
0 voters
If voted yes, what weapon system loadout would you like to see?
  • Early (9.3 BR)
  • Late (9.7 BR)
  • I voted no to a standalone version.
  • I don’t want it in general.
0 voters
Optional question: would you like to see the DMM exclusive Akane Kisarazu skin be released on the international servers?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I abstain from voting here.
0 voters

Hey everyone! Today I would like to present to you a specific Fuji AH-1S Cobra operated by the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force!

With the previous denial of a premium AH-64D Apache Longbow for Japan, there are limited options left for a Premium Japanese helicopter. To further expand the options I am suggesting the addition of another Kisarazu sister as either a Premium or additional skin for the AH-1S Early.

mZtSSBI.png

History:

The Bell AH-1 proved the concept of a small agile attack helicopter in the skies of vietnam supporting ground troops. The JGSDF after testing the concept of support helicopters with for example the UH-1B Hiyodori & H-13H Hibari ordered a pair of AH-1S Step II Cobra’s for further testing. After these tests a slightly improved version was selected for licensed production in 1982, to be specific the AH-1S Step III Cobra’s already present in-game in a couple of variants. After 1991 all newly built AH-1S’s were fitted with the C-NITE system, a nose mounted FLIR imaging device. With multiple earlier built AH-1S’s also being refitted with the system. In 2011 one of these AH-1S’s for the 19th anniversary of the 4th Anti-Tank Helicopter Squadron (IVATH) was given special markings of Second Lieutenant Aoi Kisarazu, an original character created by members of the squadron. As earlier in the year there was the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami one of the markings that was added on the tail was “心をひとつに・・・がんばろう日本!” which in turn translates to “Our hearts together… let’s go Japan!”. The costs of creating these markings as well as applying them reportedly cost ¥150,000. (Adjusted for inflation, ¥159,190.97/1370.50 USD/1240.59 Euro) This was collected by the unit with a fundraiser as it was an unofficial celebration, in 2012 this was doubled but due to receiving so much attention this also was the last year the IVATH had the ability to create more Kisarazu sisters as the higher ups got wind of what was going on and even though it created a lot of good PR weren’t pleased. In the end 2013 was the last time the Kisarazu sisters were used but they still live on in model kits as well as in-game in the form of Leading Private Wakana Kisarazu & First Lieutenant Akane Kisarazu.

VSyM4r7.png

likC0OR.png

In-Game:

The Fuji AH-1S Step III Cobra is already a common sight in-game, the AH-1S Aoi Kisurazu variant wouldn’t be too different from the early version already found in the tech tree. It also will be easy to add due to the 3D model already being present only requiring a new skin to be made for it. In an effort to further differentiate it from the Premium Kisurazu sister already present it could also be a good idea to limit it to the lack of thermals as well as BGM-71C Improved TOW only. Besides that it would be further differentiated by the usual premium bonuses and additional free repairs. If this helicopter would be added as a premium, it also would help with creating lineups in GFRB as most of Japan’s lineup is around the 9.0 BR. Meaning a way lesser impact if added to such a lineup when compared to the 9.7 BR Kisurazu currently implemented.

3n6pJQ0.png

Specifications:

General characteristics:

• Crew: two (Pilot, Gunner)
  • Length: 16.1 m (53 ft)
  • Rotor diameter: 13.6 m (44 ft)
  • Height: 4.12 m (13 ft 6 in)
  • Empty weight: 2,993 kg (6,600 lb)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 4,500 kg (10,000 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Kawasaki T-53-K-703 Turboshaft, 1,800 SHP (1,300 kW)
  • Rotor system: 2 x primary blades, 2 x tail blades
  • Fuselage length: 13.6 m (44ft 7in)
  • Stub wingspan: 3.15 m (10ft 4in)

Performance:

• Never exceed speed: 315 km/h (196 mph)
  • Maximum speed: 277 km/h (172 mph)
  • Range: 510 km (315 mi)
  • Service ceiling: 3,720 m (12,200 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 8.2 m/s (1,620 ft/min)

Standard Armament:

• 1x 20-mm M197 with 760 rounds
  • 76x 70-mm Hydra 70 rockets
  • 8x BGM-71C Improved TOW/BGM-71D TOW-2 Missiles

Other:

• Engine exhaust infrared suppression
  • AN/APR-39A radar warning receiver
  • AN/ALQ-136 radar jammer
  • JAVN-V6 helmet mounted night vision

Added (Late production & retrofitted):

• C-NITE Thermal imaging

C9g69Yg.png

A video from 2011 showing the noseart:

Video spoiler

[center][https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_5bcLZ4II[/center]

Additional pictures:

Picture spoiler

jlIGN2g.png

XlWsvXi.png

K3k2GrA.png

EndJAlm.png

evpyUrF.png

d5xlC8n.png

CmOp861.png

O5e4ple.png

Fun fact:

In 2014 this specific AH-1S (S/N JG-73467) actually got dressed up again with special markings, this time a bit plainer than the 2011 variant. Something mother nature clearly disapproved of judging by the rain.

Rainy day

KhfhBM5.png

Sources:

Sources spoiler
1 Like

I am afraid this one is too close to AH-1S Kisarazu, both in performance and armament. It would be nice to be as an unlockable Skin, however. It could also go towards the Tech Tree version as an unlockable skin.

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

1 Like