Following the Roadmap: Voting to Test our Proposed APHE Shell Changes

Yeah, I was “joking” that it seemed that the Yes percentage was going up

I wonder if we can get a proposed APDS change next where they remove shell shattering and we can put that to a vote too since I don’t remember anyone ever voting on adding shattering in the first place.

It’s not so much the shattering that’s the problem as it is that APDS is the only shell that’s really affected by it. It should be all shells are subject to failure or none of them are.

On the topic of this thread, I really hope APHE is brought in line with other shells, or if not other shells are brought up in line with APHE if the community gets their way.
I don’t want that to be the case, but either way this conversation about APHE being a god round has been around since I started playing years ago. I’m glad it’s now being visited oficially.

15 Likes

This thread now officially surpassed the Abrams armor one in number of replies, becoming the most discussed announcement thread on this forum:)

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of War Thunder, which selectively implements realistic mechanics. It has completely unrealistic and overpowered APHE damage, leaving all other bullets with a ridiculous and underperformed level of damage. Aside from underperformed, APCR and APDS suffer. They add the mechanics of projectile breakage, which despite being realistic, are too exaggerated. Meanwhile, another realistic mechanic, which would be the premature detonation of the APHE, has not even been commented on, selective realism.

6 Likes

I do agree with you that my problem lies in APDS in particular being singled out for “realism” changes and adding a shattering mechanic uniquely to it meanwhile you don’t have say, fusing early or failing to fuse on APHE or the changes proposed in this vote under the stance of realism.

APDS never received a vote to have shattering added, why the preferential treatment is my view.

5 Likes

I wonder if the amount of HE filler will influence the fragmentation pattern of an APHE shell or if all APHE shells will have the same pattern.

Spoiler

Edit: Bonus pic:

Spoiler

3 Likes

The faniest “Gaijin realistic” fact is that HESH penetration based on gun calibre and not on TNT equivalent)
120mm Conway has 1.5 kg equivalent and 152mm pen
120mm Chieftain has 6.4kg equivalent and 152mm pen)
I heard that Chieftain irl has +300mm pen by HESH

And now, imagine the True pen and damage of +20kg equivalent 183mm HESH)
(but in game only +220mm)

3 Likes

Now that’s an intact nose.

Why didn’t Gaijin use this picture?

Your entire speech about historical/realistic aphe ends when high caliber aphe hits triplex or some random pixel and evaporates.
But aphe must have realistic damage)

1 Like

I wonder if the L3 and Csaba will be finally somewhat useful with these changes

1 Like

They won’t

1 Like

Well, it is a fact that, just as the APHE is by far the most overperformed ammunition, the HESH is by far the most underperformed.

This isn’t true at all. Lots of people care about this.

One can recognize this is still a game while still wanting changes to it to bend towards realism instead of away from it. You listen to their interviews, it’s clear that was the Yudintsev vision from the beginning.

“Realism within the limits of a playable computer game” is their market niche, they move farther away from it today at their peril.

Even the people who say they don’t care have a limit, somewhere. It’s easy to imagine a counterfactual where just about anyone would say the reduced realism would make them lose interest. Replacing all the 20mms with Star Wars blaster sounds; putting tanks made of Lego into regular play; give players to have their jets spew out a stream of soap bubbles instead of exhaust; Team Fortress Classic crossover, etc. All fun if instituted. But people would still stop playing if they go there. There’s lots of “unrealistic” games.

5 Likes

They should just give it the Panther II treatment. Anytime someone brings up revisiting this decision, just say “We did X in the past so we aren’t going to do it now.”

Lock it up, throw away the key, don’t give people time to change their minds, or see how opinions have changed over time.

So, apparently:

-Gaijin is going to FURTHER BUFF APHE by implementing additional shell cap damage effects.

-But they are not going to implement the CORRECTION that would balance it out by not making it a nuclear bomb just because biased people voted against it.

Which means that APHE will now be EVEN STRONGER than any other shell in the game.

Outstanding.

They should either implement both corrections, or none. But this is nonsense.

5 Likes

Lots of people care about this.

Sure, people might care about it, but the entire statement said “no one cares when it’s impossible to achieve” however… it most definitely is capable to achieve a semblance of realism in war thunder and as we’ve seen time and time and time and time again they specifically choose not to do this.

I personally do heavily care about historical accuracy, but my care diminishes when the developer A: chooses not to pursue it and B: prioritizes making money over it. There’s a lot of cases where historical accuracy makes the game unfun and no amount of hashed together “realism” is going to be historically accurate. The majority of the community want a fun game before a historically accurate one and that’s how it’s going to stay.

“Realism within the limits of a playable computer game”

Yeah this is just completely dishonest, there are excellent simulators out there that model mechanics significantly better than war thunder, let’s not act like they couldn’t flesh out mechanics and provide a more realistic/simulator experience. They’ve been gutting the only simulator mode and making it more and more casual for years.

Even the people who say they don’t care have a limit, somewhere. It’s easy to imagine a counterfactual where just about anyone would say the reduced realism would make them lose interest. Replacing all the 20mms with Star Wars blaster sounds; putting tanks made of Lego into regular play; give players to have their jets spew out a stream of soap bubbles instead of exhaust; Team Fortress Classic crossover, etc. All fun if instituted. But people would still stop playing if they go there. There’s lots of “unrealistic” games.

This point doesn’t make sense.

Honestly, most of Gaijin’s testing usually ends with poor results and they just slap it in the game anyway (Naval, Top tier air, Helicopters) so I’m most definitely satisfied with keeping the game the way it is in this regard and denying new testing all together. APHE is used by a lot of nations and I think it’s fine the way it is.

1 Like

Apcr

They would be almost on par, but the APCR is still minimally useful, while the HESH has practically no use in the game. If you use the M48, you will load APCR before HESH.